Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 12-12-2007, 12:53 AM   #16
WoGiTaLiA1
Local High School Star

WoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputationWoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputation
Default Re: Good RTS?

Quote:
Basically they took TA and just made a super huge battlefield which amounted to churning out units sending them to battle and basically not giving much of a damn about them. I guess that's exactly what you said you dislike about the other games but SupCom is extreme. Plus identical sides unless you have patience to go deeper into the game. You're definitely not missing anything there.

Yep, from the impression I got in my very little attempt at it, it's basically what I like least on a massive level.

Quote:
I have played Myth II, and quiet frankly it was fabulous but I wouldn't consider it a RTS. To me it was more of a tactical game since it didn't have much in the way of Base Building and Resource gathering.

Fair enough, it basically doesn't have any of that(you could call the points at the start of each game your resources I guess). I think it is firmly in the RTS realm though, but can certainly see that view.

Quote:
I think C&C, WC/SC and CoH are amazing in their own right and represent different styles of play in the genre all of which I've enjoyed.

Certainly they are more traditional. C&C was fun, but I didn't find it overly challenging nor terribly engrossing. It basically felt like every other C&C game where you just mass a unit and swarm, only with even less emphasis on resource gathering, I can honestly say I never was running low on cash, was like playing a sandbox game or something. COH was fun again, the WW2 thing is so played out though that it kind of lost me there. Warhammer 40k was also a very good game, though I never got into it, never liked 40k as much as standard Warhammer so i carried a grudge in :).

It's hard to see where the next big move in RTS is going to come from, I think somehow someone has to add the things that made Myth 2 so good into the RTS environment with resource gathering and the like, focus more on the combat because the vast majority feel stale to me, send in units, build more if they die. I think Warcraft 3 is a start, but I think every unit has to be more like a hero with experience so that just sending swarms becomes a detriment and you need to fight with skill.
WoGiTaLiA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:11 AM   #17
shadow
Laker fan here

shadow is considered somewhat coolshadow is considered somewhat cool

Yep it's kinda difficult to get anything drastically new these days. I thought CoH/Warhammer did a good job introducing a greater tactical element into the game however they don't come close to Myth in that regard for obvious reason. I would definitely enjoy something like Myth II with more base/resource building in the mix. Actually I wish total war's battles could be like Myth because the turn based map game is awesome in TW but the battles suck. The good thing is a few standard RTS seem to be employing that total war map system so you never know it might head in that direction where we get Myth II/Total War hybrid. That imo would be sweet.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 03:03 PM   #18
Smokee
Banned

Smokee is a pretty well-respected posterSmokee is a pretty well-respected posterSmokee is a pretty well-respected posterSmokee is a pretty well-respected poster

do you guys know if Myth2(win95,95,nt) will work with Windows XP Media edition?

this game is unbelievably hard to find, and i guess i have to resort to Amazon.

looks good tho from what i've seen/read, just a little worried about the graphics being really out of date, but i can live with that if they are at least decent and not building blocks. thx for the heads up
Smokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:52 PM   #19
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Cannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation here

Wow guys a lot of really GOOD info but I'm still confused on what I need to look into...

Ok so I want a game where I can build bases and gather resources and all that jazz. Graphics aren't that big of deal and I don't think I'm really interested in playing multi player at all. So does this help you guys narrow it down?

Oh my friend can't find his copy of black and white so I'm without a RTS
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:21 PM   #20
shadow
Laker fan here

shadow is considered somewhat coolshadow is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball
Wow guys a lot of really GOOD info but I'm still confused on what I need to look into...

Ok so I want a game where I can build bases and gather resources and all that jazz. Graphics aren't that big of deal and I don't think I'm really interested in playing multi player at all. So does this help you guys narrow it down?

Oh my friend can't find his copy of black and white so I'm without a RTS

Download Demos for the following games:
Warcraft III
Command and Conquer 3

Play 'em both and then decide which one you want to buy, or better yet get both! Simple :)

Last edited by shadow : 12-13-2007 at 01:23 PM.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:17 PM   #21
lemondude
Serious playground baller

lemondude has an OK reputation so far

go with empire earth 2 I think is the good one, or rise of nations. (not the new one)

how can these two classics never be mentioned!!
lemondude is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: