Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-12-2007, 01:48 PM   #46
VCMVP1551
NBA sixth man of the year

VCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this board
Default Re: Article-- Barkley Iverson feud still going strong 10 yrs later

Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial
Take Iverson off that team, and they'd still make the playoffs, right? Oh, no, they would've won the finals without Iverson, is that it?

OK, you hate Iverson beyond any rationale. We get it now.

Replace Iverson with any other 20 ppg scorer and they are a still a top 4 seed in the East that year.
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:59 PM   #47
NugzFan
NBA lottery pick

NugzFan is considered somewhat coolNugzFan is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCMVP1551
I can't stand when morons who don't see anything wrong with a player shooting 42%, averaging 25.5 FGA and holding on to the ball for an amazing amount of time but still getting only 4.6 apg. You are so dumb you just look at the 31.1 ppg and jack off to it without taking into account that most of the best scorers in the league could have averaged that much or more with that many shots. Iverson didn't have to be a great offensive player to get to the finals that year. He was on one of the top defensive and rebounding teams and he had a great coach. Idiots like you seem to think 31.1 ppg is great no matter what....but it's not.

comeon kid - get real. your bias against iverson is so thick you cant see anything positive about him (you do this in every single thread where ai is mentioned). of course your gonna cry everytime somone has something positive to say about a first ballot HOF and an all time great player. btw, ai this year: 25 ppg on 46% shooting. its not our fault you dont get it. dont get mad at everyone else.
NugzFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:00 PM   #48
NugzFan
NBA lottery pick

NugzFan is considered somewhat coolNugzFan is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Yes I can. He barely beat VC and the Raptors and they had a worse supporting cast.

that + your screename might explain a lot.

Quote:
He could afford to be a terrible shooter because you had Mutombo averaging over 13 rpg and Tyrone Hill averaging 9 rpg even with Mutombo there to take rebounds away from him! That is an incredible rebounding duo. Not to mention the DPOY, a team of great defenders and a brilliant defensive coach to make it difficult to score against them. Iverson's run wasn't that impressive and it is a crime that he got the MVP over Shaq who had a flat out superior season.

NugzFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:00 PM   #49
EricForman
Good college starter

EricForman has decent reputationEricForman has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Nuggets3
they used to trade words pretty well back in the day. it was entertaining. this is kind of nostalgic

anyone remember Iverson's 2nd year? Barkley gave another Iverson diss in the papers leading up the Houston vs Philly game. Iverson dropped 26 pts (64%) and 15 assists to lead his team to the upset. Barkley was silent afterwards

Iverson's response to Barkley after the Dallas TNT game "I dont even worry about critics like him. I've dealt with them my whole life."

For Denver's sake, please keep insulting AI, Chuck!

overblown.

i've watched inside the nba for years and haven't seen Barkley take shots at Iverson or just unfairly bash him. Barkley criticizes whoever he feels isn't playing smart/well. It doesn't make for a "grudge"

that's a BS article.
EricForman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:01 PM   #50
artificial
:-P

artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Replace Iverson with any other 20 ppg scorer and they are a still a top 4 seed in the East that year.
Thanks for proving my point :)
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:08 PM   #51
EricForman
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Nuggets3
keep dissing him Charles!! Iverson owns you everytime

How does Iverson own Chuck in any way? Is there some kind of huge w/l advantage I dunno about?

Really you Iverson fans are getting carried away. Read that article again... Chuck's "I can't stand that guy" comment was made back in 1999 (when Iverson was getting in trouble and acting immature). He didn't say that now.

What Chuck said now was that Iverson didn't make teammates better and he was a one dimensional player.

Now whether or not that is true....why is that "hating", or "he's jealous"?

Could it be... Barkley REALLY feels that way, and he would feel that way about anyone who plays that way?

I mean, I'm an Iverson fan, but what Chuck said wasn't that far-fetched.

If you disagree just say he's wrong and he dunno what he talking about.

What's all this crap about Chuck being jealous, and how many of you guys buy into that BS article turning one line into a "feud"?

And then the Iverson fans always throw out the "yeah keep hating Iverson keepsproving you guys wrong"

How exactly has Iverson proven chuck wrong? Are the Nuggets contenders secretly that I dunno about? Really, would any of you be surprised if they gone out in the first round again?
Old 12-12-2007, 02:12 PM   #52
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Richie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'd love to see them get to the Finals with another 20ppg scorer and without Iverson. They couldn't put the ball in the basket for beans without him. People bring up his great supporting cast. Yes, he did have a great supporting cast.... on the defensive end. On offense? They were one of the worst supporting casts I can think of. And you wonder why Iverson shot so much. Maybe he should have passed it to Mutumbo more and he culd have dropped 50 a few times? Or maybe Eric "Afrid to shoot" Snow could drop 40 once in a while. I don't think people realize just how poor the 01 Sixers were at scoring without Iverson.

And Mutumbo came half way through the season, so let's not overrate that. The Sixers were still like 30-10 or something like that before he got there.

You need to put your feelings aside and face the facts, VCMVP. Your bias is unbelievable right now.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:13 PM   #53
EricForman
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1

The only people trying to make AI look bad after he left was the organization & the media...they have to in order to sell the new direction the team is going in....

They always drop comment like "Oh, what breath of fresh air Miller is... A real point guard" they talk about things that dont happen anymore....

But... um...didnt' the Sixers--especially iggy--played better with Miller running point than Iverson running point (last season)?

I always get into this same crap. I like Iverson. He plays hard. He has heart. But dude's game is hard to build around. You need a 2001 style team where everyone just played D and crashed boarsd to have success with Iverson.

Last edited by EricForman : 12-12-2007 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:16 PM   #54
EricForman
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie2k6
I'd love to see them get to the Finals with another 20ppg scorer and without Iverson. They couldn't put the ball in the basket for beans without him. People bring up his great supporting cast. Yes, he did have a great supporting cast.... on the defensive end. On offense? They were one of the worst supporting casts I can think of.

The thing is, that's the ONLY kind of cast you can put around Iverson and expect success.

Those teams probably wouldn't have been as good if you actually replaced, say, Eric Snow with a scoring point guard (like Damon Stoudamire), or Tyronne Hill and Mutombo with a scoring PF/center (like David West and Memo Okur)
Old 12-12-2007, 02:30 PM   #55
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Richie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricForman
The thing is, that's the ONLY kind of cast you can put around Iverson and expect success.

Those teams probably wouldn't have been as good if you actually replaced, say, Eric Snow with a scoring point guard (like Damon Stoudamire), or Tyronne Hill and Mutombo with a scoring PF/center (like David West and Memo Okur)
Well he's being pretty successful in Denver. Maybe people say he can't play around other scorers because they never put it to the test - he never played with other great scorers for extended periods of time until now, and he's winning. He's unselfish and a playmaker. The old Iverson, yes, it was best to build around him in an offense where he could score and be free. Can't deny that. I doubt he would have gotten to the Finals with another 20 ppg scorer with him. The offense was built around his game and he thrived from it. He was hard to build around, no doubt about it. Probably the hardest MVP to build around in God knows how long. But as of right now, as a Nugget, I believe he can do well in almost any offense/roster.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:33 PM   #56
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
But... um...didnt' the Sixers--especially iggy--played better with Miller running point than Iverson running point (last season)?

I always get into this same crap. I like Iverson. He plays hard. He has heart. But dude's game is hard to build around. You need a 2001 style team where everyone just played D and crashed boarsd to have success with Iverson.

His game isnt hard to build around... the 76ers just never did it...

He is like any other scoring guard... get him a big man who can score in the post (not an old broken down Webber) and balance the offensive game... And then have a decent defensive team.. The sixers had the great defense... but they never provided another scorer to keep teams honest in their schemes

All this stuff about how difficult it is to build around the guy is BS
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:40 PM   #57
artificial
:-P

artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricForman

At last some reasonable points. Iverson isn't exactly easy to build around, although I'm not sure it's too hard either. If that's the ONLY kind of cast you can put around Iverson and expect success remains to be seen in Denver.

But a scoring point guard would have never worked alongside Iverson. Snow with his D was a perfect fit there (although some 3pt shooting would've helped).

About the scoring PF/Center that's where I disagree. I always thought that with Iverson's style of getting into the lane and kicking it in to a big man who was in the paint, a decent scoring PF/C who could rebound would have been a perfect fit. But by when Webber arrived, the team was no longer a defensive squad, and Cheeks couldn't teach D to save his life and that was widely exposed.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:43 PM   #58
VCMVP1551
NBA sixth man of the year

VCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugzFan
comeon kid - get real. your bias against iverson is so thick you cant see anything positive about him (you do this in every single thread where ai is mentioned). of course your gonna cry everytime somone has something positive to say about a first ballot HOF and an all time great player. btw, ai this year: 25 ppg on 46% shooting. its not our fault you dont get it. dont get mad at everyone else.

I gave credit to Iverson for how well he has played since coming to denver. If you read the thread you would know that. I think he was selfish in Philadelphia though.
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:47 PM   #59
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
But by when Webber arrived, the team was no longer a defensive squad, and Cheeks couldn't teach D to save his life and that was widely exposed.

exactly and remember Webber stayed on that elbow near the free throw line shootin more jumpers than anybody besides Kyle Korver.

just provide a balance front court back court attack..and defense
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: