Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 12-10-2007, 09:03 PM   #1
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Cannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation here
Default Good RTS?

Looking for a good RTS. I have a 360 and a good Pc so one of the two...
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:16 PM   #2
shadow
Laker fan here

shadow is considered somewhat coolshadow is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Good RTS?

Some recent ones:
C&C 3 was fantastic.
Company of Heroes series was awesome as well imo. Or Try Warhammer 40K series for a sci fi take on the formula. Both by relic.

Supreme Commander: I didn't care for this game but if you played and enjoyed Total Annihilation you'll like this.

Fresh on the block:
I haven't tried World in Conflict and Universe at War yet, but both have demos and have gotten solid scores from most places. They look good.

EDIT: All PC games BTW.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:22 PM   #3
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Cannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow
Some recent ones:
C&C 3 was fantastic.
Company of Heroes series was awesome as well imo. Or Try Warhammer 40K series for a sci fi take on the formula. Both by relic.

Supreme Commander: I didn't care for this game but if you played and enjoyed Total Annihilation you'll like this.

Fresh on the block:
I haven't tried World in Conflict and Universe at War yet, but both have demos and have gotten solid scores from most places. They look good.

EDIT: All PC games BTW.
Which of these games have the build up your troops with buildings and stuff, but also have good fighting controls?
Old 12-10-2007, 11:23 PM   #4
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I've heard -great- things about Rome: Total War, although I haven't played it yet. Been out for a while though, so it probably wouldn't be too expensive.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:16 AM   #5
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

My friend has Black and White 2 so, I think I'll see if I can borrow that to get my RTS fix for awhile.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:18 AM   #6
WoGiTaLiA1
Local High School Star

WoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputationWoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputation

The best RTS at the moment is still Warcraft 3. The new ones really don't offer anything new, just flashier graphics and nastier system reqs. Gameplay wise they are a good 2 or 3 steps backwards.

Other good ones are Myth 2(good luck finding a game though, it's basically dead), Starcraft, World in Conflict is solid.

Rome Total War is a TBS with RTS elements, it is great fun though, Medieval 2 Total War is also great fun. Only the battles are really real time though.

Unfortunately RTS really is struggling lately, most of the games are stale and offer very little, the actual gameplay of Myth 2 still hasn't been matched as far as troop control and the actual battles, that game really was the perfect RTS. Only thing it is missing is the resource gathering and even that is something that in many games you wouldn't miss it.
WoGiTaLiA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:22 AM   #7
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Age of the Empires III is the best RTS right now. It also has two good expansions.
DeuceWallaces is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:09 AM   #8
shadow
Laker fan here

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoGiTaLiA1
The best RTS at the moment is still Warcraft 3. The new ones really don't offer anything new, just flashier graphics and nastier system reqs. Gameplay wise they are a good 2 or 3 steps backwards.

Other good ones are Myth 2(good luck finding a game though, it's basically dead), Starcraft, World in Conflict is solid.

Rome Total War is a TBS with RTS elements, it is great fun though, Medieval 2 Total War is also great fun. Only the battles are really real time though.

Unfortunately RTS really is struggling lately, most of the games are stale and offer very little, the actual gameplay of Myth 2 still hasn't been matched as far as troop control and the actual battles, that game really was the perfect RTS. Only thing it is missing is the resource gathering and even that is something that in many games you wouldn't miss it.

you're really doing yourself a dis-service if you haven't played company of heroes. It's one of the best RTS games that's come out in a while. C&C 3 also is fantastic but if you're a wc junkie I can see how you might not like the C&C style. Try CoH to keep you company till Starcraft 2 comes out (I'm sure you can get a demo to test it).

Cannonball,
if you're new to RTS genre try C&C 3. Its fast paced, easy to get into, and not overly complicated with multiple tech trees etc.

Black & White is not an RTS btw its more of a sim game. Same for Rome/Medeival total war. Though the total war series is pretty cool in its own right.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:11 PM   #9
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow
you're really doing yourself a dis-service if you haven't played company of heroes. It's one of the best RTS games that's come out in a while. C&C 3 also is fantastic but if you're a wc junkie I can see how you might not like the C&C style. Try CoH to keep you company till Starcraft 2 comes out (I'm sure you can get a demo to test it).

Cannonball,
if you're new to RTS genre try C&C 3. Its fast paced, easy to get into, and not overly complicated with multiple tech trees etc.

Black & White is not an RTS btw its more of a sim game. Same for Rome/Medeival total war. Though the total war series is pretty cool in its own right.
So I'm looking for more of a sim game? For some reason I want to do the thing where you build the troops and resources up and everything.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:27 PM   #10
shadow
Laker fan here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball
So I'm looking for more of a sim game? For some reason I want to do the thing where you build the troops and resources up and everything.

B&W is not an RTS in the traditional way. Its arguably a blend between a god sim and a RTS but you generally don't have too much control over your armies compared to a actual RTS, which is what I think you are after.

Command and Conquer 3
Supreme Commander
Warcraft 3
Company of Heroes

^ are all good RTS games with different play styles and I'm pretty sure they all have demos. I'd suggest you find some demos for those or any of the games mentioned in this thread and see which one you like before spending 30-50 bucks on one.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:21 PM   #11
Smokee
Banned

Smokee is a pretty well-respected posterSmokee is a pretty well-respected posterSmokee is a pretty well-respected posterSmokee is a pretty well-respected poster

RTS is probably my favorite genre of games.

Really depends on your tastes and preferences, basically are you really into competetive multiplayer? or do you like good singleplayer? competetive multiplayer is a completely different world of RTS gaming some people take really seriously, but its alot like competetive FPS play online. Personally i like rpg in my games, basically customizing and building, so my tastes are pretty different than most of the RTS gamers out there. I'm not into that super competetive Starcraft scene or anything like it but i did love Starcraft single player campaign.

Company of Heroes gets the most hype and is probably the best done RTS currently. I liked it but its not my favorite mostly because there arent really many differences between each side, whereas alot of other RTS's make each side very unique to the others. I also hate WW2 games, and this follows that bandwagon almost every game jumped on a few years ago.

If youre a realistic history buff kind of person then i'd reccomend Age of Empires. Its a base building RTS style game which is more what i like, but it is kind of bland to me due to it being more or less historically based.

I've played Total War series and HATED them. They just dont feel as much a game than a simulation of RTS play. I like being able to upgrade units, being able to use unit abilities, base building, etc. but there was none of that with this game, and it gets SO MUCH hype. To me its the biggest waste of money i've put into a game because it was just really really boring.

My current favorite RTS is LOTR: Battle for Middle Earth 2, and yeah this came out a while ago. I'm not a fan of LOTR stuff in general, but this game has alot of customizing features, like you can make your own hero and play a RISK style game with him. Each hero you have has powers he can use, each unit has upgrades, there are building upgrades, units 'level' up but pretty subtlely. Its as close to a rpg rts i've played and i think thats why i like it so much. I play this game over alot of the newer more popular RTS's sitting on my harddrive(C&C3, Age of Empires3, Company of Heroes, etc. etc). It doesnt get the hype alot of the other ones do because its not really popular online, but it is hyped in a niche way with rts players wanting more rpg in their games. The graphics are top notch even to today's standards, almost a dark very LOTR type graphics style. The buildings are sweet, and you can choose between i think 6 different factions of races all unique with their own buildings/units/upgrades. You can also build towers and put your archers into them to shoot and cover further distances. I LOVE this game but like i said its more about tastes, and i dont think alot of RTS gamers, especially the really competetive online ones would ever reccomend this to you.

The only RTS's i havent played that came out recently were World in Conflict which i read was good but shallow, which is why i wont buy it. And theres one that just came out thats got middle range reviews. I've played most of them, but Starcraft will always have a special place in terms of RTS to me. While i think LOTR: BME is really underrated.
Smokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 06:23 PM   #12
WoGiTaLiA1
Local High School Star

Quote:

Played them both. COH was overrated to me, its very formulaic, was a bit of fun for the first few hours but it really lost appeal to me because it just felt like I was doing the same thing over and over.

C&C was the same really. C&C you just mass units and overwhelm. If they die, no biggie, just build more. I don't know if you ever played Myth 2, but if you did, I prefer the skill element rather than just massing units and swarming. Both the games you listed severely lacked that imo.

Quote:

I agree here, C&C the original was my entry into RTS, the new one is effectively the same thing with upgraded graphics and less emphasis on resource gathering. Fun for a while, good introducition. Not half the game of some of the others though.

Quote:

Black & White has many RTS elements. I didn't really enjoy it though, never got into it, it was very tedious also and the first several levels are basically a glorified tutorial, which really ****s me, hate when they try and force you to learn slowly.

Quote:
My current favorite RTS is LOTR: Battle for Middle Earth 2,

I played either that or the first one of those when it first came out. Had some solid potential in it but was buggy as all hell. Maybe I'll have to give it another go, does sound good.

You are spot on about WIC as well. Very Shallow, basically get tanks, blow the **** out of enemey, good game.

Only game I haven't really played is Supreme Commander, I only played it for about 20 minutes before I lost interest, probably not a fair amount to judge it on but I never like TA so I went in with a negative attitude anyway.

Seriously, if you can get your hands on it, I seriously reccomend Myth 2. Still the best use of micro and 3d in an RTS that I've seen, the skill level required just to complete the single player campaign will make you a solid online player, unfortunately last time I played the online community was all but dead. Easily bungies best accomplishment as a game.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:52 PM   #13
Smokee
Banned

Smokee is a pretty well-respected posterSmokee is a pretty well-respected posterSmokee is a pretty well-respected posterSmokee is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:

I played either that or the first one of those when it first came out. Had some solid potential in it but was buggy as all hell. Maybe I'll have to give it another go, does sound good.

You are spot on about WIC as well. Very Shallow, basically get tanks, blow the **** out of enemey, good game.

Only game I haven't really played is Supreme Commander, I only played it for about 20 minutes before I lost interest, probably not a fair amount to judge it on but I never like TA so I went in with a negative attitude anyway.

Seriously, if you can get your hands on it, I seriously reccomend Myth 2. Still the best use of micro and 3d in an RTS that I've seen, the skill level required just to complete the single player campaign will make you a solid online player, unfortunately last time I played the online community was all but dead. Easily bungies best accomplishment as a game.

you probably played the first one, i never played that one but i heard it was pretty good. I think i read it had real movie cut scenes or something along those lines but limited units. BME2 has pretty much every unit from the movies. It wasnt buggy at all for me the first time i played it and i was impressed since i thought the graphics were incredible at the time, and no slowdowns with tons of units on the screen(but i got a nice computer).

I never played Myth2 but i'll look that up. I figure its old so i can get it cheap.

oh and i have Supreme Commander, took it off my harddrive. Another hyped disappointment but i guess i didnt give it much of a chance. I was very very very turned off by the top down so far away main map play where you basically just see a very far overview, and it just felt like a very generic tactical based game across a mass scale and as a result you had to play it so far up. Yeah you could scroll in but you couldnt play most of the game that way :p

Last edited by Smokee : 12-11-2007 at 07:55 PM.
Smokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:37 AM   #14
WoGiTaLiA1
Local High School Star

Quote:
oh and i have Supreme Commander, took it off my harddrive. Another hyped disappointment but i guess i didnt give it much of a chance. I was very very very turned off by the top down so far away main map play where you basically just see a very far overview, and it just felt like a very generic tactical based game across a mass scale and as a result you had to play it so far up. Yeah you could scroll in but you couldnt play most of the game that way :p

That sounds almost identical to what I did...

Quote:
I never played Myth2 but i'll look that up. I figure its old so i can get it cheap.

Great game that probably is the best "modded" of all RTS ever. People made a WW2 mod for it that was just awesome as well as civil war, futuristic and just all kinds of fun, the original game was also great. Archer battles were actually that, you could physically dodge the arrows that were fired at you and there was just a ridiculous amount of skill involved, weather conditions actually affect the battles. The game was just so ahead of it's time, it has features that still haven't been put into games now.

Quote:
you probably played the first one, i never played that one but i heard it was pretty good. I think i read it had real movie cut scenes or something along those lines but limited units. BME2 has pretty much every unit from the movies. It wasnt buggy at all for me the first time i played it and i was impressed since i thought the graphics were incredible at the time, and no slowdowns with tons of units on the screen(but i got a nice computer).

I'm pretty sure it was the first one that I played, thought it was one of those games that another 6 months in development and it could have been great. You get an awful lot of RTS that have that feel. Think that is what has made the Blizzard games so great, they actually get that 6 months or more to get it all perfect. Will have to look for a copy of BME2 and give it a go, certainly sounds up my alley.

Also, I remember having a bit of fun with the Star Wars RTS. Didn't think it was great, but if you are into the sci-fi rather than fantasy themed games it was the best that I've played as far as fun goes.(Starcraft aside, but that was just about the perfect RTS).
Old 12-12-2007, 12:41 AM   #15
shadow
Laker fan here

Quote:
C&C was the same really. C&C you just mass units and overwhelm. If they die, no biggie, just build more. I don't know if you ever played Myth 2, but if you did, I prefer the skill element rather than just massing units and swarming. Both the games you listed severely lacked that imo.
I have played Myth II, and quiet frankly it was fabulous but I wouldn't consider it a RTS. To me it was more of a tactical game since it didn't have much in the way of Base Building and Resource gathering. There's something to be said about being able to kill your opponents economy so they quit in frustration ;) But hey to each their own. I think C&C, WC/SC and CoH are amazing in their own right and represent different styles of play in the genre all of which I've enjoyed.

Quote:

I agree, Supreme Commander was trash imo. Basically they took TA and just made a super huge battlefield which amounted to churning out units sending them to battle and basically not giving much of a damn about them. I guess that's exactly what you said you dislike about the other games but SupCom is extreme. Plus identical sides unless you have patience to go deeper into the game. You're definitely not missing anything there.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: