Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Philadelphia 76ers Forum

Philadelphia 76ers Forum Philadelphia 76ers forum - 76ers message board - Sixers fan forum

Old 07-28-2006, 04:02 PM   #1
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

Default where can we end up in the east?

well here are the teams that are better than us:

Detroit(even tho they lost big ben they still added depth to their lineup, and they still got the big 4)

Miami(pretty much same team that won the finals, they are better)

Cleveland(a team on the rise and even if they dont resign gooden they are probably still better)

Chicago(Sign big ben, dont lose the youngsters, and get a solid 4 in pj brown and they are much better)

Here are the teams that are on the bubble:

Indiana(reportedly getting al harrington back to add to their nucleus of young forwards with granger, marquis daniels, shawne williams, james white, and stephen jackson. Lost their best player at times in anthony johnson for not much in return.)

Washington(we hung with them for the whole year until our slide and they have done nothing to improve themselves, getting songaila is nothing to cheer about, they need to bring back jeffries for their own sake)

New Jersey(again, they had that hot streak and at that same time we went ice cold so we can hang with these guys. Other than drafting marcus williams, who isnt going to contribute too much because kidd is still kid, and josh boone, who is going to miss at least 2 months and maybe 4 do to shoulder surgery, they have not done anything this summer besides lose jacque vaugn and trade for mikki moore)

Teams we will hang with for sure:
Milwaukee(lost ford, got villanueva, and are going to trade magloire so i think they are worse for now)

Orlando(a team on the rise, but they won't play like they did to end the season for the whole year, still young and inexperienced)

Toronto(had whole sale changes, but none of them were big names. They got ford, nesterovic, anthony parker, jorge garbajosa, fred jones, and bargnani, pj tucker and uros slokar last year in drafts. but they are headed in a better direction that us.)

Teams we will be better than for sure:
Atlanta(getting there but still young and not ready)
Boston(very good young team but key word...young)
Charlotte(a theme developing here, getting there and young, but not ready yet)
New York(oops there goes that theme... but anyways, enough said about them, too much "me me" talent and not enough "us us" talent, they will improve tho...which isn't saying much...)

so, the best we could end up is the 4th seed with the 5th seed having home court against us. With the new format the 3 division winners and the best record otherwise still get top 4, but they changed it to where they are ordered by record. So for last year denver wouldnt have been the 3 seed, they wouldve been the 4 playing memphis and dallas wouldve been the 2 seed. So the top 3 and the 5th seed will be detroit, miami, cleveland, and chicago in some order. We could beat out the nets for the division and be the 4 seed. That's our best case scenario.

worst case...we miss playoffs :cry The reasons...indiana and returnee al harrington stay healthy and beat us out, the wizards do that once again, New Jersey wins division, milwaukee somehow beats us out again, orlando and the young guns pass us up, and the new look raptors pass us up as well. That makes us the 11th seed, which is pretty damn bad. But don't expect us to be any lower than that.

As for us, all we have done this year is all the young guys should be better, we drafted carney and bobby jones while losing salmons(great tradeoff IMO) and we will have willie green, aka instant o, playin the whole season for us. So our bench will be stronger with him, korver, jones, ollie, randolph, hunter, and hopefully reggie evans or some other power forward that rebounds and does the dirty work. So for the people that say we havnt improved...we have, but will it be enough? i think webber is the only 1 that won't improve this year, but hey...maybe another year of rehab gets his knee in better shape, it is possible u kno...

let me kno what u guys think of this, i obviously took awhile to type this...
sixerfan3511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 04:34 PM   #2
NBAfan32
High school junior varsity star

Detroit, Miami, Cleveland and Chicago are the big dogs in the East no question about that. Washington, Indiana (who Philly has owned in season games the past 2 years) and New Jersey are definitely the teams that we have to catch up with. The Nets are the main competition for the division crown and a higher seed in the playoffs. We were on top of the division during a stretch so we just have to be consistent about it and hope the team doesnt blow up and collapse down the end of the season. Sixers have athletic players now to keep up with the VC,RJ,Lebron and Wade that the opponents are gonna throw at us. Question is how are we gonna deal with Shaq, JO, Bosh, Big Ben and Dwight with only a foul prone Dalembert, soft Hunter and a one legged Webber? That concerns me the most since Webber's minutes has to be cut down as well. Shav Randolph has to really step up or King has gotta get somone capable of helping out.

Milwaukee and Orlando played well down the stretch last season, so i wont take them lightly. We have to watch our backs for them since theyre the threat of us losing a spot for a playoff contention should they be able to continue the tear that they were on last season. Toronto, Atlanta, Charlotte, Boston and New York are teams the Sixers can definitely handle, completely agree on that one.

With that said, we can end up either top 5 granted we win the division and the team plays with some chemistry and learn some defense OR find ourselves fighting for the playoffs amd land in the lottery again.

A question for you guys too. 2007 could be a really deep draft and since GSW has our pick (top 15 protected), would you want to make the playoffs and lose our pick OR not make the playoffs, keep our pick and add another young guy to add to the nucleus of Iguodala and Carney?
NBAfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 08:35 PM   #3
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

well, the strong position in this draft is center, so depending on how sammy improves this year i might want us to miss unless we get 6th or better, maybe even 7th cuz detroit isnt nearly as good anymore, but if we have between 8th or not make it i dont want to make it. Can some1 please tell why in hell we owe our pick to golden state...cuz i dont remember us makin any trades with them...
Old 07-29-2006, 03:13 AM   #4
sixerssufferer
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Default Well, that depends

If they do nothing, probably out of the playoffs.

If they get some workhorses and some more balanced scoring, then maybe 6th or 7th.

My suggestion is to trade either Korver or Dalembert. Sixers fans know what each of them can do by now and neither of them can do enough.

They pay Dalembert too much and trading him would create some salary space for the future. Yeah, I know he can run, jump, rebound and block shots. He can also commit stupid fouls, loose the ball, fail to catch passes, travel and otherwise commit turnovers, and knock balls out of bounds while grabbing rebounds away from teammates. The Sixers don't need two seven footers to win (Phoenix doesn't have any that it uses). Hunter could be an pretty decent player if he just played a little harder.

Korver would be OK for a NBA player who plays 10 to 20 minutes a game but the fact that Korver played about 30 minutes a game shows you how desperate Philly was for capable bodies.

The Sixers had two good free agents on their summer team: Philly's own Steven Smith from LaSalle and Ivan McFarlin formerly of OK St. McFarlin looks like he may be able to rebound almost as well as Dalembert and appears capable of chipping in 10 points a game with far fewer mental mistakes. If they took Smith on the team, they would have an overabundance of small forwards and could trade Korver for some future considerations.

Without adding new personnel, the Sixers future depends on the development of three young players. Louis Williams scored great in the summer league and might be a very valuable sub if he doesn't have to control the ball too much. Carney is supposed to be a human highlight film but is summer appearances were unspectacular. Shavlik showed potential to be a solid sub last season and could continue to improve.

Of course, Willie Green is back. We'll see if he can finally establish some consistency and shoot the ball at better than 40%. Maybe this will be Iggy's breakout season. The Sixers can do it but, without adding any new players, they would need an exceptional of improvement from several of their young players. That's a lot to hope for.
sixerssufferer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 12:22 PM   #5
NBAfan32

Quote:
Can some1 please tell why in hell we owe our pick to golden state...cuz i dont remember us makin any trades with them...

We dealt it in the Big Dog deal to Atlanta. Atlanta then traded it to Dallas (which i think was the Terry trade), Dallas then finally traded it to Golden State (the Dampier trade).
NBAfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 02:01 PM   #6
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

thats bs, i dont wanna lose my pick to any1, but i got a friend that's a warriors fan and ill never hear the end of it...
Old 07-29-2006, 08:16 PM   #7
The Answer
National High School Star

we better make the playoffs this year
The Answer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 10:01 PM   #8
The Italian
Defense? Whats that?

I think that you guys will either just miss out on the playoffs or get in with a 7or 8 seed. I hope that you guys make the playoffs.
The Italian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 02:47 AM   #9
Venja42
Decent playground baller

In order for the Sixers to improve, they need to bring in another veteran or two.

The one guy I begged for last year and never came was George Lynch. I dont know how good his legs are, but he'd be solid as a vetern leader on this team who has been through wars. He'd also fill in nicely as a SF or PF.

Of course, there are nice players out there that are available, but Billy King needs to bring in guys who have been there and can help the team build as well as help the team build for the future.
Venja42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 03:07 AM   #10
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

2 guys here that we could use...former sixer jumaine jones, he can stick the j, rebound, is a veteran, can play either forward, and isnt too expensive. And reggie evans, ive been saying this all along, but hes a veteran and can just do what we need...rebound and play d.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:51 AM   #11
douglaspuckett12

Jones and evans are exactly what philly needs, also helps create a bench.............which lets face it, isthe biggest problem we have Staring line up of

pg Iverson
sg Iggy
SF Jumaine
PF Webber, ''better with evans''
C Sammy, ''head out of a## and improved''

Key bench
Evans, Korver, Green, Hunter

I truly believe that team if that something like this were possible and the team bought into something collectively at all just might get them in the top of the east.

I don't think anyone is runing away in the east, detroit is down, Miami is old other than Wade, Cavs better keep Gooden, Chicago will win the east, Iniana always under achives,

I just can't take to many more years of philly just completly sucking just to trade Iverson away in a year or two more. DAMN YOU BILLY KING!
douglaspuckett12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 03:09 PM   #12
sixerssufferer

Default I think they should sign Ivan McFarlin over Evans

Ivan McFarlin was a great rebounder on their summer team (led the Rocky Mountain Review) and would almost have to be a better offensive player than Evans. And McFarlin would come at a fraction of the price.
sixerssufferer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 06:26 PM   #13
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

to douglaspuckett, yeah, that would be our lineup but ur forgetting we have shavlik randolph, rodney carney, and bobby jones for our rotation. Say we get jones, this should be our lineup:
pg:Iverson, Green, Ollie, Williams
sg:Iguodala, Carney, Green, B. Jones
sf: J. Jones, Iguodala, Carney, B. Jones
pf:webber, J. Jones, Randolph
c: Dalembert, Hunter, Randolph

and then with evans he would back up webber and carney would start at the 2 with iguodala at the 3.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:22 AM   #14
douglaspuckett12

I'm down with that, just didn't know how much those young guys would be able to contribute, but who am I kidding, have to be a stronger bench than salmons and olie.

I would really like philly to get jones, they need the range,
douglaspuckett12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:24 AM   #15
ppierce34

Is that a typo or would you really put Jumaine Jones at back-up PF and ahead of Shav on top of that?

And I'd really like to not have Willie Green play any point guard. Especially with a steady back-up in Ollie on the team.
ppierce34 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: