Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Philadelphia 76ers Forum

Philadelphia 76ers Forum Philadelphia 76ers forum - 76ers message board - Sixers fan forum

Old 07-28-2006, 09:35 PM   #1
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

Default well we lost out on jared jeffries now too...

Jared Jeffries is going to the knicks

Reggie evans and melvin ely are our final options now... get ur head in the game king, we need a damn power forward

Last edited by insidehoops : 08-31-2006 at 11:42 AM.
sixerfan3511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 04:32 AM   #2
koichiii
I airball my layups

I like Melvin Ely. He did some good things with the Bobcats. Can defend and score.
koichiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 11:26 AM   #3
Basketbolero
Local High School Star

I like Ely too, he would be a good acquisition, but it looks that King can not get anything done.
Basketbolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 12:18 PM   #4
NBAfan32
High school junior varsity star

Jeffries and Evans are two players that wouldve fit perfectly and wouldve helped out Philly right away. Theyre out of our price range though. Melvin Ely wouldnt be that bad as a consolation. Big body that can grab rebounds and score a little. Any depth that isnt an undrafted rookie would be nice.
NBAfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 02:03 PM   #5
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

they're not out of our price range, we have the full MLE. If New York can sign jeffries when they are way over the cap then we couldve signed him. Evans won't demand the whole MLE, but i read that cleveland is getting frustrated with gooden so they want to have evans in to talk contract with him. Denver won't resign him most likely cuz they already have kenyon martin, eduardo najera, linas kleiza, marcus camby, nene, and jamal sampson at the bigs.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:43 PM   #6
IamtheWalrus
Banned

we don't really need jeffries.

we need more of a banger to take over webber's spot when he is out.
IamtheWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 04:23 PM   #7
NBAfan32

Avoid the Luxury tax is what Comcast has told Billy King to do. Thats what has been limiting them from signing free agents, which is why i said Jeffries and Evans could be out of the price range. Minimum contracts is what the best they could offer for a free agent, which could or could not get them Melvin Ely. Im not a big fan of Billy King mainly of his transactions and free agent signings and its partly his fault and Comcast's insistence on avoiding the luxury tax that Philly has been limited moves the offseason.
NBAfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 06:33 PM   #8
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

we can still use our midlevel, which would easily net us evans. Ely would only need about half of that. I understand the comcast situation which is complete bull $**** but we can still use our midlevel and we better. I dont wanna have shavlik and hunter as our only bigs off the bench.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:08 PM   #9
ppierce34

That's the point. To stay under the luxury tax they can't use the MLE or at least the full MLE which would probably be needed to get either one of those guys. And if I remember right, Ely is restricted and I'd be surprised if Charlotte didn't match anything up to the full MLE for him. The way the Sixers are set up now, don't be surprised if the only signing you see is a Steve Smith and some type of vet for the minimum, anything more will put them over the tax limit.
ppierce34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:41 PM   #10
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

we could get ely for 3 or 4 per year at the most, and charlotte has sean may and okafor so they dont really NEED ely, and i dont kno if evans would require the whole MLE either. All i kno is comcast needs to stop bein *****es and pay a million over the luxury tax.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:56 AM   #11
artificial
:-P

the way things are going, i think billy king wont do anything other than signing Steven Smith and some other scrub.

sad that after all that specullation, king will have done close to nothing in the offseason.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:23 AM   #12
trenttucker
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Default At this point...

I agree with others here that as far as value goes Ely is probably our best bet. We simply can't go into the season with Shav (though I like him) as our 4th big guy, you gotta have depth when someone goes down.

And BTW there's no way in hell i'd give Jeffries the MLE, he is not worth it. That's just like another Kenny Thomas deal.
trenttucker is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: