Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Cleveland Cavaliers Forum

Cleveland Cavaliers Forum Cleveland cavaliers message board - cleveland cavaliers fan forum

Old 07-28-2006, 11:15 PM   #1
zunami
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Default Good trade idea

Cavs: Gooden, Damon Jones, Pavlovic and a 1st round pick

Sonics: Wilcox, Watson, Fortson and their highest 2nd round pick from 2007 and 2008

Since Gooden and Jones are the two highest candidates to be leaving cleveland this summer, wouldn't a trade like this make sense?

The cavs desperately need a starting pg and i mean eric snow desperately. Watson would be the perfect fit, somebody who can bring the ball safely up and play defense. Wilcox meanwhile, is someone who has more potential than Gooden but is somewhat of a gamble. I say its worth the risk though, with Hughes and James giving him a lot of room. Fortson meanwhile, could be z's backup. He would bring in defense and energy, two things z doesn't show on the court. He played very well for Golden State as a center back in 01/02. Not exactly a reliable backup because of his attitude (out of shape) and him being a power forward, but his contract expires after next season. For cleveland, the two early second round picks would be more valuable than one first round pick. Meanwhile, for seattle it might be vice versa. If they get the 10th or so pick in next year's draft, they can trade it along with a 25th or so pick given by cleveland to get even higher.

CLEVELAND

Watson (backup: Snow)
Hughes (Shannon Brown)
James (Newble)
Wilcox (Varajeo)
Ilgauskas (Fortson)

SONICS

Ridnour (Damon Jones)
Allen (Wilkins)
Lewis (Pavlovic)
Gooden (Marshall/Collison)
The trio of projects: Petro/Swift/Sene (Collison)

The costs of the trade could be arranged to be practically identical for both teams. Gooden would be paid about 1.2 M more, which seems fair considering how much longer he's been putting up solid numbers than wilcox. Wilcox isn't pulling a Jerome James, u never know tho but no.. he couldnt be.
zunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 01:56 AM   #2
Legend
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by zunami

Sonics: Wilcox, Watson, Fortson and their highest 2nd round pick from 2007 and 2008

CLEVELAND

Hughes (Shannon Brown)
James (Newble)
Wilcox (Varajeo)
Ilgauskas (Fortson)

SONICS

Ridnour (Damon Jones)
Allen (Wilkins)
Lewis (Pavlovic)

whats about donyell marshall and Gibson? wouldnt they be in the line up
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:01 PM   #3
zunami

i put marshall in. i just put the primary back-up. if all the project centers start playing really badly, u could even try gooden at center and marshall at pf for the starting line-up. they could try playing like the suns with diaw at center. it wouldnt work tho.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:07 PM   #4
bleedinpurple
Decent college freshman

Quote:

Since Gooden and Jones are the two highest candidates to be leaving cleveland this summer, wouldn't a trade like this make sense?

The cavs desperately need a starting pg and i mean eric snow desperately. Watson would be the perfect fit, somebody who can bring the ball safely up and play defense. Wilcox meanwhile, is someone who has more potential than Gooden but is somewhat of a gamble. I say its worth the risk though, with Hughes and James giving him a lot of room. Fortson meanwhile, could be z's backup. He would bring in defense and energy, two things z doesn't show on the court. He played very well for Golden State as a center back in 01/02. Not exactly a reliable backup because of his attitude (out of shape) and him being a power forward, but his contract expires after next season. For cleveland, the two early second round picks would be more valuable than one first round pick. Meanwhile, for seattle it might be vice versa. If they get the 10th or so pick in next year's draft, they can trade it along with a 25th or so pick given by cleveland to get even higher.

CLEVELAND

Hughes (Shannon Brown)
James (Newble)
Wilcox (Varajeo)
Ilgauskas (Fortson)

SONICS

Ridnour (Damon Jones)
Allen (Wilkins)
Lewis (Pavlovic)

The costs of the trade could be arranged to be practically identical for both teams. Gooden would be paid about 1.2 M more, which seems fair considering how much longer he's been putting up solid numbers than wilcox. Wilcox isn't pulling a Jerome James, u never know tho but no.. he couldnt be.

wouldn't that involve both teams doing S&Ts - Wilcox and Gooden? Paying big money which both teams are trying to avoid?
bleedinpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:03 PM   #5
AKADS
National High School Star

Stupid Idea.
Why pay Wilcox when we wouldn't pay Goooden. And WE are not giving up another 1st rounder.
AKADS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:06 PM   #6
zunami

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKADS
Stupid Idea.
Why pay Wilcox when we wouldn't pay Goooden. And WE are not giving up another 1st rounder.
Because Wilcox is cheaper than Gooden, has more potential, is more physical, is more capable of playing center when z gets into foul trouble. 2 early second round picks is better than a 25th pick.

Last edited by zunami : 07-30-2006 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:11 PM   #7
zunami

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinpurple
wouldn't that involve both teams doing S&Ts - Wilcox and Gooden? Paying big money which both teams are trying to avoid?
sign gooden to a two-year deal
Old 07-30-2006, 08:33 PM   #8
zunami

Quote:
Gooden would be paid about 1.2 M more.
my bad, its 1.0 M
Old 07-30-2006, 08:59 PM   #9
AKADS
National High School Star

Both player want 8 - 10 million

Both want a Nene contract.
AKADS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:59 PM   #10
zunami

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKADS
Both player want 8 - 10 million

Both want a Nene contract.
Wilcox was expecting a 7 M offer for 6 years from the sonics and he didn't get one
Old 07-30-2006, 11:33 PM   #11
mateo31
Go ahead, make my day.

Default Trade proposal

I don't think the sonics would want to give up Watson though. His defense at the point is good to bring off the bench. Seattle love their Ridnour/Watson combo.
mateo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 11:41 PM   #12
mateo31
Go ahead, make my day.

Default Trade proposal

Quote:

I did the quote thing wrong so I am going to redo this. As mentioned before a sign and trade would be involved (gooden/wilcox) and that could get weird. I am also betting that Seattle would not want to give up Watson, they like his defense and energy off the bench. They love their point guard combo of Ridnour/Watson. But it is a plausible trade scenario.
mateo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 05:19 PM   #13
zunami

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo31
I did the quote thing wrong so I am going to redo this. As mentioned before a sign and trade would be involved (gooden/wilcox) and that could get weird. I am also betting that Seattle would not want to give up Watson, they like his defense and energy off the bench. They love their point guard combo of Ridnour/Watson. But it is a plausible trade scenario.
thanks. yea i agree its too complicated and theres even a chance that watson gets the starting job over ridnour.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: