Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > G League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

G League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum G League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2006, 08:14 AM   #1
darkofan
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 65
Default How on earth Team USA could have lost to Greece?

I mean, they just got TROUNCED by 23 in the Finals by a Gasol-less Spain.

Moreover, the Spaniards did not play anything special, it was a lukewarm game from start to finish.

Greece was lead by as much as 28.

I think the Americans would have won in the finals, regardless whom they would have played. But one blunder and they were done.

I think also FIBA should introduce some kind of incentive for the third place apart from the bronze medal, for it does not motivate anyone. The third ranked team should directly qualify for the Olympics, for example.

The Greeks were completely burned out after their historical win on Friday and looked like they didn't care. They couldn't waitfor the ref to make the last wistle.

All in all, a sad finals, but at least the Spaniards have deserved it...
darkofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 08:24 AM   #2
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.
 
Real Men Wear Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 23,045
Default

Team USA just isn't the best, we have to accept that. This is the third time in a row now that someone has beaten usin these FIBA competitions.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 08:42 AM   #3
Locked_Up_Tonight
Good college starter
 
Locked_Up_Tonight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,274
Default

Quote:
The Greeks were completely burned out after their historical win on Friday and looked like they didn't care. They couldn't waitfor the ref to make the last wistle.

You answered your own question. Greece beating the US was the gold medal game for them. Playing Spain was a huge letdown game. Throw in the fact that a couple of their regulars were in foul trouble and no one could hit anything and boom... you have a huge blowout.

Spain is one the best teams in international competitions because of their guard play and shooting. Their guards are extremely quick and both of them can shoot well. Throw in another competent outside threat like Garbajosa... and inside muscle like Gasol and they are an ideal team for FIBA.

Greece is a great team too because of their depth and length in the backcourt, and they have good shooting.
Locked_Up_Tonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:00 AM   #4
Shogon
Decent playground baller
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Team USA just isn't the best, we have to accept that. This is the third time in a row now that someone has beaten usin these FIBA competitions.

Team USA isn't the best. That's true.

American basketball players, however, are.
Shogon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:05 AM   #5
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.
 
Real Men Wear Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 23,045
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogon
Team USA isn't the best. That's true.

American basketball players, however, are.
Depends on what you value. We produce the best one-on-one, individual basketball players. I have little doubt that if FIBA organized an international 21 tournament the winner would be LeBron or D-Wade or one of our guys. But we are clearly failing in actual team competition. So what makes you a better ballplayer, being able to work well within a team concept and win in a team game, or being able to create offense by yourself?
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:10 AM   #6
Locked_Up_Tonight
Good college starter
 
Locked_Up_Tonight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,274
Default

Quote:
Team USA isn't the best. That's true.

American basketball players, however, are.

And that's why the US hasn't won in awhile. That mentality is killing the US in these tournaments. The US can most definitely be the best team. But they actually have to play as a team. And very rarely do play as a team.

"Not the quality of player but the quality of player." Apollo Creed once told Rocky: you fight great but I'm a great fighter. Well, every other international team knows it doesn't matter if you are great as long as you play great. Right now, USA thinks they'll get by on just being a great team.
Locked_Up_Tonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:10 AM   #7
Markarian
Learning to shoot layups
 
Markarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 53
Default

Yeah i really hated the way we played we got off to a bad start where we couldn't hit anything and Spain was hiting every shot, we did not play defense and in the end Gasol not playing turned up to be bad thing for us because we had noone to concetrate on on defense and the rest of the Spanish players really stepped up and played good basic defense. I'm not trying to take anything away from a great Spain win but I guess that Greece's batteries emptied on the game vs. the USA. Congrats to Spain who finally have won a tournament after a series of bad luck in the finals(they've had 6 2nd places in various tournaments so far)
Markarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:20 AM   #8
HotaHota
Saw a basketball once
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Athens
Posts: 2
Default

Different games the final and the semi final. The US supporters should thank that they didn't manage to get to the final. This Spain even without Gassol would have crushed the USA TEAM much worse than Greece did. Great team the spanish, the greeks lost their concentration so the result was that.
As a greek I expect a Greece-Spain final next year in Spain in Eurobasket for a rematch. Till then they are the best, we are second. :)
HotaHota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:32 AM   #9
gaydad
Not airballing my layups anymore
 
gaydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Italy
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkofan
I mean, they just got TROUNCED by 23 in the Finals by a Gasol-less Spain.

Moreover, the Spaniards did not play anything special, it was a lukewarm game from start to finish.

Greece was lead by as much as 28.


I think also FIBA should introduce some kind of incentive for the third place apart from the bronze medal, for it does not motivate anyone. The third ranked team should directly qualify for the Olympics, for example.

The Greeks were completely burned out after their historical win on Friday and looked like they didn't care. They couldn't waitfor the ref to make the last wistle.

All in all, a sad finals, but at least the Spaniards have deserved it...
lukewarm? you missed one of the best defensive efforts ever

and the last thing FIBA should do is reward losers

Quote:
I think the Americans would have won in the finals, regardless whom they would have played. But one blunder and they were done.
this deserves a quotation of its own...you're the essence of USA basketball

Last edited by gaydad : 09-03-2006 at 09:34 AM.
gaydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:37 AM   #10
KWALI
erudite
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Depends on what you value. We produce the best one-on-one, individual basketball players. I have little doubt that if FIBA organized an international 21 tournament the winner would be LeBron or D-Wade or one of our guys. But we are clearly failing in actual team competition. So what makes you a better ballplayer, being able to work well within a team concept and win in a team game, or being able to create offense by yourself?

well the teams that won were created over years...the u.s team over a summer......seeing the amount of time they had to prepare adn that they defeated by a team on a adrenal high its far from inditement of these players team ability....it takes time to create a good team....2004 Detroit team...wins this tourney
KWALI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:44 AM   #11
bigballer
Saw a basketball once
 
bigballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sydney, Oz
Posts: 29
Default

it's all subjective. People act as if any Euro team plays all year round or some crap. No they play for their club, whether it be in the NBA or Europe. You think Gasol or Ginobili etc. play for their country more than Melo or lebron do each year. They don't.

Fact is the US players have no reason to commit themselves to their country. They don't want the risk injury, they want time with their family etc. The superstars simply don't care all that much. Plus some eg. KG already got Olympic gold. What's the motivation?

There should not be excuses given to them. And if Greece or Spain etc. played 82 games in a year like the 04 Pistons, who the hell knows who would win in a one game elimination, it's purely a guess.

Last edited by bigballer : 09-03-2006 at 09:46 AM.
bigballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:52 AM   #12
TheHonestTruth
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 848
Default

Congratulations Spain, THE GREATEST BASKETBALL TEAM IN THE WORLD!
TheHonestTruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 10:04 AM   #13
gaydad
Not airballing my layups anymore
 
gaydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Italy
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigballer
And if Greece or Spain etc. played 82 games in a year like the 04 Pistons, who the hell knows who would win in a one game elimination, it's purely a guess.
not mentioning how POINTLESS a 82-game regular season is...only american fans can accept that crap
gaydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 10:27 AM   #14
Young HkM
Up in the Rafters
 
Young HkM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 703
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaydad
not mentioning how POINTLESS a 82-game regular season is...only american fans can accept that crap

Why is an 82 game season pointless? Because you say so?
Young HkM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 10:34 AM   #15
kamsky87
Saw a basketball once
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2
Default

poor americans, it has been better for you that greece won you, cause spain wont win you, spain will humiliate you, in this moment Spain is the BEST, and usa its only a group of rich boys, that dont know the meanning of TEAM's word...

im happy, cause when Olympic arrives, the history will be the same, and u will say another one time the same stupid things:"We are the best, w are the only one..." when the truth is that Europe level of basketball is as well as NBA, or better...

bye poor guys...

P.D: If you do not know, Spain have won by 23 points up to the selection that beat ALLMIGHTY USA/NBA without any kind of problems..
kamsky87 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:08 AM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy