Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-20-2007, 03:10 PM   #16
Mikaiel
Shoot it Boobie !!!

Mikaiel has a terrific reputationMikaiel has a terrific reputationMikaiel has a terrific reputationMikaiel has a terrific reputationMikaiel has a terrific reputationMikaiel has a terrific reputation
Default Re: What Chauncey did last night was genious

Don't blame the rules, blame the players who are too stupid to wait for the offensive player to jump before they leave their feet. Even if the offensive player doesn't jump into his defender, he can still take one dribble and get an open shot.
Mikaiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:12 PM   #17
picc84
3-time NBA All-Star

picc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation here

Dont blame the rules for Tony Allen's boneheadedness.
picc84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:14 PM   #18
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikaiel
Don't blame the rules, blame the players who are too stupid to wait for the offensive player to jump before they leave their feet. Even if the offensive player doesn't jump into his defender, he can still take one dribble and get an open shot.
That's what I want to see. That dirty redneck Karl Malone made it so that people think that's a bad idea.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:16 PM   #19
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
That's what I want to see. That dirty redneck Karl Malone made it so that people think that's a bad idea.
now when you say dirty, do you mean play-style, hitting on kobe's wife-style, or just kind of filthy-style?
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:27 PM   #20
vert48
Can You?

vert48 is considered somewhat coolvert48 is considered somewhat coolvert48 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by picc84
Dont blame the rules for Tony Allen's boneheadedness.
That is where I disagree. I don't think the rules of basketball state that the offensive player can jump into the space where the defensive player is landing in order to draw a foul. It actually states the opposite. The application of the rule is where the problem lays.

It is similar to not calling traveling on Lebron and Wade when they take 4-5 steps (Lebron with his double jump stop and Wade with his 4 step spin) . The traveling rule is not at fault. It is the application of the rule that is the problem.
vert48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:31 PM   #21
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by vert48
That is where I disagree. I don't think the rules of basketball state that the offensive player can jump into the space where the defensive player is landing in order to draw a foul. It actually states the opposite. The application of the rule is where the problem lays.

It is similar to not calling traveling on Lebron and Wade when they take 4-5 steps (Lebron with his double jump stop and Wade with his 4 step spin) . The traveling rule is not at fault. It is the application of the rule that is the problem.
i'm a celts fan, and even i thought that was a foul on tony. he didn't jump up, he leapt forward. even if billips didn't lean / jump in, allen would have landed right on him. disappointing play, but the call was right.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:36 PM   #22
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejordan
now when you say dirty, do you mean play-style, hitting on kobe's wife-style, or just kind of filthy-style?
*uses #2 pencil on circle D* All of the above
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:38 PM   #23
SHEED_ gangsta
I know everything

SHEED_ gangsta has decent reputationSHEED_ gangsta has decent reputation

[quote=Mikaiel]Don't blame the rules, blame the players who are too stupid to wait for the offensive player to jump before they leave their feet.and get QUOTE]

easier said than done I'm sure if you were guarding chauncey he'd have you doing jumping jacks with his pump fakes. if you just sit there and try to make the shooter jump first you'll get exposed.

MR BIG SHOT doing what he does best
SHEED_ gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:40 PM   #24
vert48
Can You?

vert48 is considered somewhat coolvert48 is considered somewhat coolvert48 is considered somewhat cool

I just looked at it again (Tivo), and yes, Tony is an idiot, but he was on the left of Billups. Billups then leans left and jumps. To me, this is like a batter leaning into a pitch to get hit. The umps don't award them first base when that happens.
vert48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:19 PM   #25
Mikaiel
Shoot it Boobie !!!

Mikaiel has a terrific reputationMikaiel has a terrific reputationMikaiel has a terrific reputationMikaiel has a terrific reputationMikaiel has a terrific reputationMikaiel has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEED_ gangsta
easier said than done I'm sure if you were guarding chauncey he'd have you doing jumping jacks with his pump fakes. if you just sit there and try to make the shooter jump first you'll get exposed.

Well how exposed are you gonna be if you jump at every single pumpfake ?

I never jump on a pumpfake. Is too much to expect a pro who gets paid several million dollars a year to play the game to do the same ? Especially against Billups who loves to pumpfake in this situation. Just raise a hand and get it in his face if he starts shooting.
Mikaiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:24 PM   #26
Optimus Prime
Swaggy

Optimus Prime has an OK reputation so far

I don't think I would call it genius. Mr. Big Shot tried a move, and Tony Allen bit, because it was pretty obvious that Tony Allen...is a scrub.

Apparently, Mr. Big Shot is known to go to that move late in games. I guess the Celtics spent all of their money on their new roster and didn't have enough left over to invest in a projector and a DVD player.

Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:26 PM   #27
FPower
Local High School Star

FPower has decent reputation

I also dislike leaning/jumping into defenders to draw fouls. I'd like it much better if they changed the way refs always give offensive player the benefit of the doubt. If it's obvious that the offensive player sought the contact, it should be a no-call. So I guess I'm against drawing fouls, period. If you get fouled, cool. But I don't think trying to force the defender to foul you should be a viable strategy.
FPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:40 PM   #28
steve

steve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this board

Why isn't anyone talking about Doc Rivers putting Tony Allen in a situation like this? What do you expect to happen when you put a cold defender on a player whose been lighting up your team? It's like the Daniel Ewing thing back in the '06 playoffs against the Suns.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:43 PM   #29
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by vert48
I disagree. If the defender is already in the air, the foul should be on the offensive player, since they made the decision to jump into space that was already taken by the defender. One of the worst things about the pro game.
no way, if you are entering the space the offensive player uses to make a motion such as a shot, that space is already occupied.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:46 PM   #30
Optimus Prime
Swaggy

Optimus Prime has an OK reputation so far

I mentioned this, as well as many others. Doc made a bad sub at the end of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve
Why isn't anyone talking about Doc Rivers putting Tony Allen in a situation like this? What do you expect to happen when you put a cold defender on a player whose been lighting up your team? It's like the Daniel Ewing thing back in the '06 playoffs against the Suns.
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: