Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 06-08-2006, 11:21 AM   #1
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool
Default Is there an honest demand to get Villy out?

Every thread almost that I have been on, there have been trades including Villanueva and the first rounder...My question is, why do people want to get rid of him so fast after such a good first season?:confused:
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:25 AM   #2
browntown
National High School Star

browntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'm sure it that the people who want him out. But if we draft the Italain guy, then well a villy kind of player, whos taller.
browntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:48 AM   #3
bk33
duck my sick

bk33 has decent reputation

it's not so much ppl want him out, it's that he's our best tradable asset to get us a good C/PG, bigger holes than the SF that him leaving would leave us.
bk33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:27 PM   #4
The Captain
Can barely lace up my sneakers

The Captain has an OK reputation so far

....but we can fill the holes through free agency, there's solid FA's out there... too many people are thinking starting 5 as opposed to depth. You keep Charlie, you sign a centre and pg, you draft overall skill and potential, then your deeper, and you have a futur aswell.

We don't need to trade our most tradeables. Because they are our most tradeable, means they are good and have value. Why would you want to trade value, we've been lacking value for years. Now we have it and everyone wants to trade it away. It makes no sense.

Sure O'neil is better than V now, but he won't be in 3 years, and he'll never play a full season, he's proved that. I'll take a proven rising star that helps now in V, over a somewhat has-been who will never play 82 again. trust me, O'neil is on the declined.
The Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:47 PM   #5
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

It's not that people want him gone.

I'm sure everybody here loves him, but he is a tradeable asset that is replaceable.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 01:17 PM   #6
A Roc 23
Back Better Then Ever

A Roc 23 has decent reputationA Roc 23 has decent reputation

I love Charlie V.

The problem is I don't think he is a full time SF. He isn't quick enough to guard most SFs.
A Roc 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:29 PM   #7
AKADS
National High School Star

AKADS is considered somewhat coolAKADS is considered somewhat cool

Villy is a horrible defender, Is not a SF, and i really think BC want him out.
He shoots to many 3's and is not a great rebounder. So basicly he is a good scorer.

Good Scorers are not good complment players.
Raptors need to make a lot of changes to become an elite team.
AKADS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:47 PM   #8
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

I personally would like to see Charlie stay with the Raps, I think he has a bright future and despite his troubles on defense, he has time to work on it, and pretty much every team has its defensive liabilities anyway. The Raptors could keep Charlie and try to get Other players who shine on the defensive end. But if a deal were in place to give the Raptors some more depth and improve the team, Colangelo might have to pull the trigger.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:47 PM   #9
Phesto
Fire BC! Hire GG!

Phesto has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKADS
Villy is a horrible defender, Is not a SF, and i really think BC want him out.
He shoots to many 3's and is not a great rebounder. So basicly he is a good scorer.

Good Scorers are not good complment players.
Raptors need to make a lot of changes to become an elite team.

He was also runner-up for rookie of the year (that means it was only his first season in the league). I might be going out on a limb here, but I have a feeling he might be able to improve on his first year in the League. He is trying to learn a position where he has to improve his quickness on defense so that he isn't cancelled out at the other end of the floor.

Not a great rebounder? Maybe not great, but he either led all rookies or was 2nd behind the Aussie. He had a few big rebounding games so we know it's possible for him to be a great rebounder. He was pretty solid on the offensive glass, if I recall correctly.

I don't understand why after the Araujo debacle, when we finally draft a stud, people are so quick to want to trade him for some sort of a quick-fix. I get that we are an accelerated-rebuilding team, so quick success is necessary, but trading Charlie Villanueva is probably not the answer. Never say never, but I don't see him going anywhere this summer ('cept to Vegas for summer league!).
Phesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:04 PM   #10
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

I don't see them trading him either, because I don't see them getting equal value in return. I think he'll improve, maybe not a lot, but this season definetly wasn't a fluke.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:13 PM   #11
Velocirap31
Decent college freshman

Velocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation here

Villenueva and Bosh will combine for around 40 points per night next season, maybe more... Keep them together.
Velocirap31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:21 PM   #12
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

I could definetly see Bosh with 22-24ppg next year with Villanueva getting 14-17ppg. That would be a great 1-2 punch, with Peterson chipping in most nights as well. Everybody says who Charlie is a slack on defense, you can think of it two ways. When he plays 3, he's a lot bigger than the guys guarding him and he has a pretty nice hookshot that he can easily get up over them, and when he's playing the 4spot he's a lot quicker than most guys, so he's a guy who can create problems for the defense of other teams as welll.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:24 PM   #13
Velocirap31
Decent college freshman

Velocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation here

Charlie and Bosh are pretty similar, except Bosh is more effective in the post and mid-range area. Villenueva is more effective at stretching out the defense with his three-point shots. I think these two could pass back and forth in games and simply take turns 'killing' the opposing teams.
Velocirap31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:28 PM   #14
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

A lot of people don't like how they are so similiar, but it a lot of cases it benefits the team. Defensive have 2 athletic power forwards to contain, as oppose to one. That makes it much harder to guard, and that may lead to one of those two players having a much easier time on the offensive end.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:34 PM   #15
Faufner
Serious playground baller

Faufner has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Low
Every thread almost that I have been on, there have been trades including Villanueva and the first rounder...My question is, why do people want to get rid of him so fast after such a good first season?:confused:

I think the theory of "selling high" applies here.
Faufner is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: