Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Houston Rockets Forum

Houston Rockets Forum Houston Rockets message board - rockets fan forum

Old 06-08-2006, 10:33 AM   #16
2LeTTeRS KD
Both teams played hard

2LeTTeRS KD has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedream
next year, and for his prime.
what numbers do you predict he'll average.

i see about 24 10.5 2 blocks 2 assits 1 steals. 54% shooting and 85 from the line.

prime i see.

27 11 2 2 1 58 % and 86 from the line

Damn people are expecting prime Shaq or Hakeem type numbers form Yao? That shits ridiculous thats the reason why he was criticized too much his first few years in this league. Bring down those expectations some and realize that if somehow he becomes a consent 24 and 10 guy that likely makes him the best big in the game in 2 or 3 years.
2LeTTeRS KD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:40 AM   #17
Lakers
Decent playground baller

Lakers has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedream

27 11 2 2 1 58 % and 86 from the line

I think this is being a little optimistic, but it could easily happen. I was worried there for a while(earlier in the season) that Yao might not ever get over the 10 rpg hump.
Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:44 AM   #18
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

I don't see how he's peaked when he's got so much to learn. Are you basing this on his low athleticism? He still has a lot to learn about correct timing in his footwork, learn how the refs call games, better usage of his big frame, learning more about his opponents, etc. How can anyone be the best he is at the age of 25? RJ is also 25 and he's still going to get better. I don't see why Yao can't. Smits had his best years when he was approaching and over. Same with Parish, Daugherty. The only way Yao has peaked is if he gives in to what people are saying here and seceeding the best years of his life. He can get significantly better.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:18 AM   #19
2LeTTeRS KD
Both teams played hard

2LeTTeRS KD has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three
I don't see how he's peaked when he's got so much to learn. Are you basing this on his low athleticism? He still has a lot to learn about correct timing in his footwork, learn how the refs call games, better usage of his big frame, learning more about his opponents, etc. How can anyone be the best he is at the age of 25? RJ is also 25 and he's still going to get better. I don't see why Yao can't. Smits had his best years when he was approaching and over. Same with Parish, Daugherty. The only way Yao has peaked is if he gives in to what people are saying here and seceeding the best years of his life. He can get significantly better.

When we say "peaked" we don't mean he wont improve at all, more like saying we don't see this meteoric rise you see. He will learn more of the tricks of the trade and how to stay on the court better but people are expecting him to go where very few centers have ever gone. Do you know how many centers have ever put up 27 and 11? I think when people calculate these stats they don't realize how amazing the numbers they are projecting are.
2LeTTeRS KD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:30 AM   #20
WoGiTaLiA1
Local High School Star

WoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputationWoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputation

Quote:
I don't see how he's peaked when he's got so much to learn.

I feel he has pretty much peaked statistically. That doesnt mean he has peaked as a player. Duncan basically peaked statistically as a rookie, only a complete idiot would argue he isnt a vastly better player now. Yao will put up the same kind of numbers, those things you said are the little things he will add to his game that will make him a better player, just not statistically. Yao should get a bit better yet.
WoGiTaLiA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:59 AM   #21
SaveThePigs
I airball my layups

SaveThePigs has an OK reputation so far

I'm just happy that Yao has started playing his game. I'm a bit concerned whether he will be the same next season, considering he did have a lot of time off after toe surgery which might have contributed to his statistical rises.

We'll see next season though. I'm ready as a Rockets fan. Hopefully management does not dissapoint again.
SaveThePigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 01:32 PM   #22
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

Oh sh!t, SaveThePigs is finally here.

It's on now!
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 01:38 PM   #23
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

DoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected poster
Default niiice

i'm happy to see Yao emerge as the "next great center." this guy should be as untouchable as lebron or wade.

here's hoping that Houston can move mcgrady for some depth to help yao out year round.
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 01:39 PM   #24
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
When we say "peaked" we don't mean he wont improve at all, more like saying we don't see this meteoric rise you see. He will learn more of the tricks of the trade and how to stay on the court better but people are expecting him to go where very few centers have ever gone. Do you know how many centers have ever put up 27 and 11?

Show me where I said he's going to get 27 and 11. His career averages are 18/9 (rounding up). Sure he just had a 22/10 season, but that was playing 57 games. To me, unless he does that for 70 games, those are not his true averages..so he still has room to get 22/10. I never said 27 and 11, let me re-iterate that because I have no idea where that claim came from. 22/10 is far and up from his 18/9 average.

Last edited by wang4three : 06-08-2006 at 03:50 PM.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:29 PM   #25
JSub
Decent college freshman

JSub has decent reputationJSub has decent reputation

Quote:
His assist and blocks tend to fluctuate so far in his career, but I'd say in his prime he'll get a max of 2.5 assists and 3 blocks.

I think his low assist average has a lot to do with Van Gundy's system. Yao is very underrated passer. Remember all those no-look-behind-the-head passes while Yao was a rookie with Rudy T. as coach? Another thing...the Rockets "shooters" failed him miserably this season. I felt sorry for the guy, since he played his heart out, but received zero help. In the postgame interviews, all the chumps would say stuff like "we need to help Yao out, we need to hit our open shot," yet they come right back the next game and pull the same shit. Lets hope TMac can get healthy and the management brings in some young guns.
JSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 06:04 PM   #26
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

gasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat cool

Hope that yao could get better help than what he had last season. I was actually sold out at the beginning of last season that sura, james, wesley, howard (not swift) would complement him a lot.

After sura's surgery, everything just went kaboom

Are the rockets going after mike james? Whos gonna replace wesley? Is luther head a lock at the 2? Are they gonna stick with juwan howard at PF?
gasolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 06:23 PM   #27
LakerzFan4Life
Decent playground baller

LakerzFan4Life has no real reputation yet.

I can predict about 25/10/2/2/1
LakerzFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 06:34 PM   #28
J-Memphis
I hit open layups

J-Memphis has an OK reputation so far

I dont know if his scoring will be as high as predicted... and I think his rebounding will only improve. So I think 23.5/11/1.5/2/.5 is a reasonable line for Yao this upcoming season.
J-Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:43 PM   #29
Spurs3
Kids at the park dunk on me

Spurs3 has an OK reputation so far

yao has to be more aggressive. i see him "act" aggressive at times but its just not helping himslef. being really mad is different from acting it if u knnow what im saying. more importtantly he has to kick some ass showing his opponents that hes the man that they "midgets" cannot intimidate.

in terms of skills yao isnt easy to guard if he really wants to score. improve what i mentioned above he should be quite unstoppable
Spurs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: