Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum D-League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Old 06-15-2006, 02:14 PM   #1
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

Default Jasikevicius skips WC: America breathes sigh of relief

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Quote:
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Indiana Pacers guard Sarunas Jasikevicius has elected not to join the Lithuanian national team for the world championships in August.

The 30-year-old point guard has been the top player in his country for years. The FIBA Web site listed him on Lithuania's preliminary roster, and he was invited to next month's training camp.

Jasikevicius' agent, Doug Neustadt, didn't give a reason Wednesday for why his client opted against playing in the tournament Aug. 19-Sept. 3 in Japan.

"He just told me the end result," Neustadt said. "The only thing I know is he's not going to play this year."

Neustadt said Jasikevicius is to marry Linor Abargil, a former Miss World from Israel, on July 6 in Barcelona, Spain. The couple will have another ceremony days later in Tel Aviv, Israel.

Pacers management has said Jasikevicius became tired late during his first NBA season because the former Euroleague star wasn't used to playing the 82-game NBA season and playoffs.

Neustadt said Jasikevicius has not said anything about being tired.

Jasikevicius led Lithuania to bronze medals in the 2000 and 2004 Olympics. He scored 28 points in Lithuania's upset win over the United States during the 2004 games.

Calls to the Lithuanian national team seeking comment were unanswered.

Team USA breathes collective sigh of relief
AppleNader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 02:15 PM   #2
BradMiller52
Kings fan

He sucked ass as an NBA player didn't he?
BradMiller52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 02:41 PM   #3
StabMasterArson
I airball my layups

Lithuania didn't even win a medal.
StabMasterArson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 04:27 PM   #4
SsKSpurs21
National High School Star

Default .

they didnt win a medal but he single handedly torched us in that game. it was a massacre.

he also didnt get much playing time in Indiana because its a near association with different rules, a new organization with different plays and different philosophies etc.
SsKSpurs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 04:32 PM   #5
jbot
Future D1 Dad

i'm a big pacer fan and i don't even like him. he hasn't done anything to prove that he's really belongs in the nba. watching him play half-heartedly almost makes u think he wonders why he left europe in the first place. i don't see him playing for very long over here.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:26 PM   #6
TheBigAristotle1
Serious playground baller

Lithuania is no longer a major threat. He doesn't get minutes because Carlisle is an idiot, simple as that.
TheBigAristotle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 12:03 PM   #7
Lakeshow
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Default Saras

Hi,

While it may be understandable as to why Pacers fans may not have taken a liking to Jasikevicious, they must also know that he wasn't really given too many chances to succeed by Carlisle this year. Sure, he got tired at the end of the year, that's to be somewhat expected. But he was also playing more SG than PG which is his preferred (and to be sure, most effective) position. He needs the ball in his hands in order to direct the flow of the game. And that's before we mention the outright noxious chemistry that the Pacers had this year and last, due in large part to Artest and his antics. If Carlisle will give Saras (as he's affectionately known) a chance, and put the ball in his hands a little more, he (and Pacers fans) will be surprised.
All in all though, whether he sticks with Indy or is moved somewhere, he will perform if given the chance.

Lakeshow
Lakeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: