Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 06-07-2006, 08:03 PM   #1
AKADS
National High School Star

AKADS is considered somewhat coolAKADS is considered somewhat cool
Default O'Neal for Villy And #1

heard the tail end of this chat on 1260 sports talk radio but the rumor was

Jermaine O'Neal

for

Charlie Villaneuva and the 1st pick

I don't see any reason for Toronto to make this deal.

Thoughts?
---------------
Saw It on another board wanted to see what you guys think of it.

BC did say he wanted more veterans and Oneal could play C next to Bosh.
AKADS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:35 PM   #2
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

I have no idea how well these guys would play together. If they could both play to their full potential it would be nice to see, but something tells me it wouldn't work. I wouldn't be totally against it but I think they are better off not making this deal.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:54 PM   #3
GoRapz
Fire Dwane Casey

GoRapz has decent reputation

i'd be happy if they make the trade.

i'd be happy if they didnt make the trade.

either way, ill be happy.
GoRapz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:26 PM   #4
computerblue
Can barely lace up my sneakers

computerblue has an OK reputation so far

no, take lamarcus aldridge, keep villanueva, do everything possible to keep mike james. this team will be scary.
computerblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:33 PM   #5
power works
High School JV MVP

power works has an OK reputation so far
Lightbulb

If the Raps make this trade, they’ll have the best frontcourt duo in the East, and would be a favorite to make the playoffs. O’Neal will give you 20.1 PPG, 9.3 RPG, 2.3 BPG –- still all star numbers at a young 27. He’s exactly what the Raps need --- frontcourt toughness and a defensive presence in the paint.

I think he’ll fit in with CB4 well since he’s got a nice back to the basket game. Who knows if Charlie would ever turn into something other than a defensive liability, and rookies are always a risk. With O’Neal the Raps know exactly what they’re getting.

And now the bad news --- he’s only averaged 47 GP the last 2 seasons, racking up injury after nagging injury. And even worse news --- he’s owed a cap-killing $83 mil until 2010, including a Shaq-size salary of $23 mil in 2010. No wonder the Pacers want to get rid of him. Any cap flexibility the Raps may have for future signings would instantly be erased. Established all stars aren’t cheap.

I was initially for this trade, but at this point I think O’Neal is too much of a financial risk. If the Raps were a 2nd round team now, and they need a player to take them to the next level, I’d do it. Sort of like what the Pistons did when they acquired Sheed. But, as it stands the Raps are in rebuilding mode, and I’d stick to the blueprint of assembling good, young and inexpensive talent.
power works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:48 AM   #6
The REAL Next KNICK
Serious playground baller

The REAL Next KNICK has no real reputation yet.

do it do it do it!
The REAL Next KNICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 01:46 AM   #7
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

great points made by power works. the trade has many ups and downs, but when you think about it long enough it probably wouldn't be enough to make the raptors a serious championship contender. sticking with the plan now, at least they have a shot in a few years.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:44 AM   #8
bonez26
Local High School Star

bonez26 has an OK reputation so far

If they get another dead eye shooter it would....two great post players and some outside shooting = good team but i personally would spend the money other ways to fill more holes and get a banger for less money like Pryz or Nazi
bonez26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:47 AM   #9
Bourne
Valancais for RoY

Bourne has not been impressing people
Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonez26
If they get another dead eye shooter it would....two great post players and some outside shooting = good team but i personally would spend the money other ways to fill more holes and get a banger for less money like Pryz or Nazi

I don't think nazr would want that as a nickname
Bourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:55 AM   #10
The Captain
Can barely lace up my sneakers

The Captain has an OK reputation so far

I would never do that trade. In my eyes O'neal is an idiot. I particularly like his post game interviews where he states he's the best big man in the NBA, even though it was clearly the other teams big man that did the damage.

Sure he's a 20 and 10 average, but those stats are very misleading: he's an up and downer, one day scoring 25 and 15 rebs and the next game , he pussyfoots around and ends up with 10 and 6.

The injuries is just the icing on why no one should want this guy. His attitude stinks, he's not a good team leader, and he would not work well with Bosh.

I would probably stop watching the raps if this trade happened, the team synergy would go down the crapper.
The Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:05 AM   #11
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by power works
O’Neal will give you 20.1 PPG, 9.3 RPG, 2.3 BPG –- still all star numbers at a young 27.

These numbers are a little off if you ask me. If this trade were actually to go down, his numbers would drop. I am not saying drastically, but I think that they won't be the same at all. If Bosh has almost the same stats (give or take, Bosh being a little better on the points side, not sure about rebounds) They're stats will change a lot.

But on the other end. We look at if they did play together. Their stats might drastically increase. Think that having Bosh and O'Neal boxing out the defense on rebounds, they could have 3-quarters of the rebounds.

Then you look at Villanueva's statistics this past year. They were impressive for playing on a team with an all-star player. Just think about what he might do this year. I say give Villanueva a year or two to get everything together.
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:44 AM   #12
bk33
duck my sick

bk33 has decent reputation

woulda been a sure deal for me if it wasn't for the injuries
bk33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:46 PM   #13
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

If O'Neal could stay healthy I'd do the deal in a second. But with his injury concerns I'd have to think about it.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:08 PM   #14
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

The main injury he had last year wasn't even a recurring one was it? He got a knee to the thigh and it kept him out a few weeks. He missed a lot of games about it, but i know he has some knee or back problems as well.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:33 PM   #15
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
The main injury he had last year wasn't even a recurring one was it? He got a knee to the thigh and it kept him out a few weeks. He missed a lot of games about it, but i know he has some knee or back problems as well.

He missed lots of games because of a groin injury. He came back and reinjured it again and didn't return until right before the playoffs.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: