Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 01-01-2008, 07:19 PM   #1
Los Angeles
A Diamond In the Rough

Default Xbox 360 keeps on breaking?

So I bought my first 360 like over a year ago, first day red light goes off...they exchange it for me no questions asked, and I payed 100 bucks for a 3 year warranty...I played it maybe 40 times in the last year, couple months ago it breaks again (same red light), I return it to them...3 weeks later they call me and say they'll exchange the 360 for a brand new one because they can't fix it. But my warranty is now void because they gave me a new xbox, that really pissed me off because that's not my problem they can't fix the system why should I have to void my warranty that I paid 100 dollars for. So basically I have like 12 days before I can actually pay for another warranty, and I really don't want to do that because next time my system breaks those idiots won't be able to fix it and I'll have to get another warranty.

My system broke twice, has anyone else had this problem? Could someone give me some tips on how to keep my system protected? Maybe I'm doing something wrong, my system is placed horizontally on my table...
Los Angeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 07:23 PM   #2
netdoc
High School Varsity 6th Man

Default Re: Xbox 360 keeps on breaking?

I bought mine in September and I'm working on my 3rd exchange. It appears that the quality of the motherboard is less than ideal for this product therefore the heat sinks really do not work for it.

I've battled with Microsoft over and over and they seem to only want to Exchange, not give refunds. I'm tempted to cut my losses and get a PS3.
netdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 07:26 PM   #3
jbot
Future D1 Dad

if you get the red lights and your warranty is expired, google an "x-clamp mod". it's some sort of mod that will fix it.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 07:27 PM   #4
ConanRulesNBC
Very good NBA starter

I got one for Christmas last week and haven't had a problem with it yet. I keep hearing these stories though which are beginning to worry me. I'm looking into buying that cooling fan that you can attach to the system for $20. I'm also looking at signing up for the $60, 2 year warranty with XBOX.
ConanRulesNBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 07:34 PM   #5
jbot
Future D1 Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConanRulesNBC
I got one for Christmas last week and haven't had a problem with it yet. I keep hearing these stories though which are beginning to worry me. I'm looking into buying that cooling fan that you can attach to the system for $20. I'm also looking at signing up for the $60, 2 year warranty with XBOX.

you might wanna do some research about the external fan b4 u go buy one. i've read/heard that they might screw up your 360 since it sucks away power from it.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:38 PM   #6
apriorist
High School Starter

I've had mine for 6 months. The only thing that ever broke was the controller and that's because I was pissed off and hit it against something.
apriorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 07:39 PM   #7
hotsizzle
Superstar

I never had a warranty. Xbox gave out free 3 yr warranties to everyone I thought? Mine broke a month ago, called them up, they replaced it and gave me a free xbox live for one month.

I've heard about people that *****ed at them and they sent them games and ****.
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 07:40 PM   #8
jbot
Future D1 Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by apriorist
I've had mine for 6 months. The only thing that ever broke was the controller and that's because I was pissed off and hit it against something.

i've almost thrown my a few times, just up until the point that i recall how much the stupid wireless controllers cost.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:50 PM   #9
Los Angeles
A Diamond In the Rough

I have a 1 year Xbox warranty, but you have to deal with microsoft and I think I'd have to pay the shipping and stuff. I live in Canada too, Xbox is a great system but man **** Bill Gates most overrated piece of crap...yeah he innovated something big but most of his **** doesn't even work.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:25 PM   #10
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Quote:

Be careful on which fan you get.

AVOID the Nyko intercooler. This runs via a pass through on the main power supply and will kill your system and void the warranty. Since it draws power from the main power line, the console will not receive enough power to run efficiently and will try to over draw power causing surges with in the hardware. A result is that the motherboard will overload and the power plug will actually have burn marks when you remove the intercooler.

doing a google on 360 nyko intercooler should break it down better. Best bet for an external cooling solution is to get one that runs off USB
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:36 PM   #11
Los Angeles
A Diamond In the Rough

So why don't microsoft attach that fan to their systems instead of us having to pay extra money to solve their problems?

God I can't stand microcrap.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:59 PM   #12
Aldridge Fan
Go Blazers!

I haven't had any problems with my Xbox 360 yet but how come they are having problems with it and had no problems with the first generation system. That thing was a tank.
Aldridge Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:28 PM   #13
ConanRulesNBC
Very good NBA starter

It seems like PS3 and XBOX 360 really rushed to get new systems out without really making sure that they were fine. I had a PS2 for 5 years and never had a problem with it at all. I still have my Super Nintendo which still works and so does my N64.
ConanRulesNBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:36 PM   #14
Charlie Sheen
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles
So I bought my first 360 like over a year ago, first day red light goes off...they exchange it for me no questions asked, and I payed 100 bucks for a 3 year warranty...I played it maybe 40 times in the last year, couple months ago it breaks again (same red light), I return it to them...3 weeks later they call me and say they'll exchange the 360 for a brand new one because they can't fix it. But my warranty is now void because they gave me a new xbox, that really pissed me off because that's not my problem they can't fix the system why should I have to void my warranty that I paid 100 dollars for. So basically I have like 12 days before I can actually pay for another warranty, and I really don't want to do that because next time my system breaks those idiots won't be able to fix it and I'll have to get another warranty.

My system broke twice, has anyone else had this problem? Could someone give me some tips on how to keep my system protected? Maybe I'm doing something wrong, my system is placed horizontally on my table...

I understand you're frustrated. I understand you're aggravated. Please stop spreading blatant lies though.
Xobox360 warranty
Quote:
Any replacement parts or Xbox Product will be new or refurbished or serviceably used, comparable in function and performance to the original part or Xbox Product and warranted for the remainder of the original Warranty Period or 30 days from the date of shipment of the Xbox Product back to you, whichever is longer.

Quote:
Speaking from personal experience, I would skip the 60$ warranty. The 1-year warranty + 3-year Red Ring warranty are more than sufficient. I wouldn't mess with the add-on fans. As long as you have proper ventilation for the console(ie: not jammed into a restrictive space like a cabinet or confined shelf), you'll be fine. I'm not a light user either. Frequently my 360 will go 2-3 days without being powered down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles
I have a 1 year Xbox warranty, but you have to deal with microsoft and I think I'd have to pay the shipping and stuff. I live in Canada too, Xbox is a great system but man **** Bill Gates most overrated piece of crap...yeah he innovated something big but most of his **** doesn't even work.

No. You wouldn't have to pay for shipping.

http://www.xbox.com/en-CA/support/petermooreletter.htm
Quote:
If a customer has an issue indicated by the three flashing red lights, Microsoft will repair the console free of charge -- including shipping -- for three years from the console’s purchase date.

What do you mean by most of his **** doesn't even work? Do you even have the slightest idea what the failure rate is for the 360? While it is unacceptable to the consumer, it is HARDLY most of the 360 consoles.
Charlie Sheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:40 PM   #15
jbot
Future D1 Dad

[quote=Los Angeles]I have a 1 year Xbox warranty, but you have to deal with microsoft and I think I'd have to pay the shipping and stuff. /QUOTE]

i think you call some hotline and they send u out a special box to put it in free of charge(shipping, etc.).
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: