Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 01-02-2008, 01:03 AM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default I'm buying a PS3 tomorrow, unless someone tells me why I should get Xbox360

I only plan on playing select few games:

nba 2k8
college hoops 2k8
maybe an nba live game or two
maybe another sports game or two
and then maybe some shooting game or something
that's about it

I'm gonna buy a PS3, especially also since I want a blu-ray dvd player.

Can anyone tell me why I should gte a 360 instead? I don't really care about online gameplay. I just want whichever system is best for sports games, especially basketball

Thanks
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:08 AM   #2
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: I'm buying a PS3 tomorrow, unless someone tells me why I should get Xbox360

actually all of the EA sports game on PS3 have been noticeably worse than on the 360. They arent even running at the same frame rates. XBox is humming along at 60 FPS while the PS3 ones are at 30 FPS. Madden on PS3 was a joke this year.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:09 AM   #3
DMizzle
Great young streetballer

DMizzle is considered somewhat coolDMizzle is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: I'm buying a PS3 tomorrow, unless someone tells me why I should get Xbox360

go gogogogogo get ps3333333333
DMizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:14 AM   #4
Killer_Instinct
And Another One

Killer_Instinct has an OK reputation so far

I have a 360 and enjoy it considerably better than the PS3....if you're just buying the P23 for sporting games, then it really dosen't matter which system you choose...the graphical differences are dismal and not really noticable at all. I bought the 360 because it had better exclusive games overall IMO. I never play Xbox Live, nor do I really care about it either. But if you're just buying for Sports genre then it dosen't really matter....unless you want to spend less on a 360.
Killer_Instinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:15 AM   #5
evinecz
Banned

evinecz has an OK reputation so far

get ps3... its gonna be wicked this year in 2008
evinecz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:15 AM   #6
insidehoops
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
actually all of the EA sports game on PS3 have been noticeably worse than on the 360. They arent even running at the same frame rates. XBox is humming along at 60 FPS while the PS3 ones are at 30 FPS. Madden on PS3 was a joke this year.

Can other people confirm this, too?

Also, how about nba 2k8 and college hoops 2k8?
Old 01-02-2008, 01:16 AM   #7
insidehoops
Administrator

ALso, and I'm not sure if this needs to be said, but I care about REALISTIC GAMEPLAY more than anything else.

Thanks
Old 01-02-2008, 01:21 AM   #8
IBLEEDGREEN20
Local High School Star

IBLEEDGREEN20 is considered somewhat coolIBLEEDGREEN20 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by evinecz
get ps3... its gonna be wicked this year in 2008

hell yes, the ps3 is gonna own 2008.. remmeber maddens first game for the 360, it sucked.. ps3 games will start to be much better...

jeff, pick up wwe smackdown vs raw 08 for ps3 too.. its a fun wresting game with soo many features..
IBLEEDGREEN20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:22 AM   #9
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

This is true. EA Sports games will only be running at 30 FPS vs 60 FPS for the 360. Only EA game running at 60 for the ps3 is FIFA. This will not affect the 2K series.

Last edited by DeuceWallaces : 01-02-2008 at 01:24 AM.
DeuceWallaces is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:22 AM   #10
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidehoops
Can other people confirm this, too?

Also, how about nba 2k8 and college hoops 2k8?

This is from the review of Madden 08 at IGN.com

Quote:
For PS3 owners, this isn't as exciting. Madden 08 runs (sometimes) at 30 frames per second. It makes a huge difference, as you lose a lot of the subtleties in the animations. There are plenty of framerate hitches that will likely frustrate players. This can cause a lag in the Hit Stick sometimes. And, let's face it, no one wants to see a runningback pause for a second in mid air as the framerate stutters. You can still play and mostly enjoy Madden, but beware that on PS3 the game does not run smoothly.

link
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:24 AM   #11
IMAGINE
Banned

IMAGINE has an OK reputation so far

I own both so hears what you need to know..

If you dont care about online, then thats a major blow towards the 360 as a choice.

If all you care about is sports game, thats a plus for the PS3. The Madden games were only 30 frames per second, as opposed to 60 frame per second for the 360 like a poster said above. However, I would think that has to do more with the 360 being out a year longer, I would suspect they would both be running at 60 frames per second this coming year.

PS3 has bigger games coming out this year in 2008, but the 360 has many more games out right now for it, so up to you if anything interests you on the 360 right now.

Blu-Ray has many more movie compainies supporting it right now, so its leading in the formal war.

I would go for the PS3 if online play doesnt matter to you and you want a Blu-Ray player. Also because all sports game appear on both systems.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

However, I would like to say that Blu-Ray doesnt offer much more than regular DVD's do right now. A good Upscale DVD player closes the gap on Blu-Ray movies, so they dont looks leaps better. It also boats 1080p output, but if you dont have atleast a 40inch set, 1080p dosent matter at all.

Last edited by IMAGINE : 01-02-2008 at 01:28 AM.
IMAGINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:31 AM   #12
bk33
duck my sick

bk33 has decent reputation

this is soooo OT,
bk33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:36 AM   #13
fiddy
HC4L

fiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidehoops
ALso, and I'm not sure if this needs to be said, but I care about REALISTIC GAMEPLAY more than anything else.

Thanks
Talking about realism when it come to NBA live series they are not pretty realistic. When it comes to superstars. Tmac and kobe are made simply insane. Dirk cant miss a shot and so on. I also can confirm that XBOX 360 is the better choice. There are nice offers on ebay.
fiddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:42 AM   #14
Soundwave
College superstar

Soundwave is considered somewhat coolSoundwave is considered somewhat cool

If the only thing you're ever going to play is sports games (which are multiplatform) and want to be able to watch high def movies, then yeah go with the PS3. The same sports games will be on both systems.

Make sure you get the Blu-Ray remote control with it though, flipping through menus using the controller is a pain.

The only thing is the 360 can play HD movies too via the HD-DVD player add-on, but at the moment it looks like Blu-Ray might win the format war. The whole HD movie business is a bit of a mess to be honest.

The PS3 as a system is much more reliable in terms of hardware (won't break as often) and runs quieter and cooler than the 360. If you're getting a 360 I wouldn't touch one off eBay with 20 foot pole, especially one without warranty. Make sure you get a brand new, unopened one from the store.

Last edited by Soundwave : 01-02-2008 at 01:47 AM.
Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:45 AM   #15
insidehoops
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddy
Talking about realism when it come to NBA live series they are not pretty realistic. When it comes to superstars. Tmac and kobe are made simply insane. Dirk cant miss a shot and so on. I also can confirm that XBOX 360 is the better choice. There are nice offers on ebay.

Again the main games I'll be playing are nba 2k8 and college hoops 2k8

nba live will just be a backup or whatever

and then whatever good football and hockey games exist maybe

But 80% of what i"ll do will be to play the 2k sports basketball games
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: