Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 01-02-2008, 07:48 AM   #31
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation
Default Re: I'm buying a PS3 tomorrow, unless someone tells me why I should get Xbox360

The only reason you should consider PS3 is the Blu-Ray player.

If the Blu-Ray isn't that big a deal to you and you would be perfectly fine with HD-DVD then there really is no logical reason to pick a PS3 over a 360.

360 has a larger title library, more games slated to come out, and most dual console games run smoother on the 360.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:55 AM   #32
I'm Sorry, Guys!
Banned

I'm Sorry, Guys! has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: I'm buying a PS3 tomorrow, unless someone tells me why I should get Xbox360

What type of dude buys both a PS3 and 360, only to sell the PS3 while keeping the 360, and brag about it in the end like he's smart?

What a not-so-smart decision, guy.

The obvious choice is the platform that has a minimum 8 year shelf and has been the standard/trend for this video game genre for last 15 years.

Ladies and gentlemen, Sony/PS3 is here for you. Come get her!!!!
I'm Sorry, Guys! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:09 AM   #33
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

If you want the blu ray then the ps3 is the answer, especially next year where i'm confident the games (EA/2K) should be the same. This year the xbox versions are better (don't give me ****, its true). But not so much better that I'd forgo the blue ray.

Myself, i'd never use a $400 game machine to watch DVD's because you know those lasers don't have a long shelf life. How many PS2's did i go through...i treat my ps3 like gold, don't have money to replace it.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:11 AM   #34
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Jazzy Nets
How did it take a step back? Better defense better AI, what killed this game for you? Too hard?

360 is better, better games, controller is better, download demos all the time, XBLA. It's cheaper. JMO. Plus i've sold a PS3 havent sold a 360.

its slower paced than 2k7 for me and less fun until i really really got into it. It didn't play like i wanted it too. I prefer 2k7 too actaully...
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:46 AM   #35
jo3y91
lebron stole my shoes!

jo3y91 has an OK reputation so far

get a 360 bro trust me
the xbox live system is so much better then the ps3 internet system or wateva its called. plus 360 has better exclusive games and ever since ps3 lost final fantasy and SVR they really dnt have any new exclusive games.

get gears of war halo 3 nba 2k8 college hoops.

and wait for god of war 3. that game is going 2 pwn all games ever created.
jo3y91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:15 PM   #36
Uchiha_Hai
The Big Bang

Uchiha_Hai has an OK reputation so far

You got the money. Buy the PS3 and get your moneys worth.
Uchiha_Hai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:41 PM   #37
Charlie Sheen
Local High School Star

Charlie Sheen has decent reputationCharlie Sheen has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by loot
OT.

But, although I liked XBOX360 games better, PS3 has Blue Ray and HD. For the 360 you'll have to buy an extra device. That sucks.

I disagree. It was by design that microsoft didn't force peripherals down the throat of the consumer like the hd-dvd add on.
Why must I decide on what format I wish to play my movies on when I am buying a video game console? Heck, the major movie studios aren't even in agreement on which format they want to use for their releases.

dvd does not restrict what game developers can do for the current gen consoles as some would lead you to believe. This should not come into play until next-gen.
There remains enough storage for a chunk of memory allotted to the security encryption and the game itself.

(Yes, I am aware of the current issues concerning Unreal Tournament for the 360.)
Charlie Sheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:43 PM   #38
jbot
Future D1 Dad

jbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
actually all of the EA sports game on PS3 have been noticeably worse than on the 360. They arent even running at the same frame rates. XBox is humming along at 60 FPS while the PS3 ones are at 30 FPS. Madden on PS3 was a joke this year.

i've read that in some magazines. it's true.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:20 PM   #39
The Ownage
Local High School Star

The Ownage is considered somewhat coolThe Ownage is considered somewhat coolThe Ownage is considered somewhat cool

Actually, EA confirmed after a game (I think it was NBA 08) that their titles will run in 60FPS for the PS3. I can't remember where I read it, but take their word for it. The online at the moment is crap, even I admit it (I got a PS3). The titles ain't here. But they will arrive soon. Alot of exclusives that are sick (Tekken, Gran Turismo, Killzone, etc.) are going to come soon, with Home (an equivalent of XBOX Live). The 360 hasn't got much to offer now, talking in terms of exclusives and newer ideas. The 360 also isn't reliable in terms of hardware, it has had ALOT of reported failures, even in the new Elite.

In the end, it's your choice, but I would suggest get a PS3.

And ask for my addy .
The Ownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:20 PM   #40
The Ownage
Local High School Star

The Ownage is considered somewhat coolThe Ownage is considered somewhat coolThe Ownage is considered somewhat cool

Delete please.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:33 PM   #41
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ownage
Actually, EA confirmed after a game (I think it was NBA 08) that their titles will run in 60FPS for the PS3. I can't remember where I read it, but take their word for it. The online at the moment is crap, even I admit it (I got a PS3). The titles ain't here. But they will arrive soon. Alot of exclusives that are sick (Tekken, Gran Turismo, Killzone, etc.) are going to come soon, with Home (an equivalent of XBOX Live). The 360 hasn't got much to offer now, talking in terms of exclusives and newer ideas. The 360 also isn't reliable in terms of hardware, it has had ALOT of reported failures, even in the new Elite.

In the end, it's your choice, but I would suggest get a PS3.

And ask for my addy .

That's plain bull****. There are plenty of reasons to take a PS3 over a 360, but saying the 360 doesn't have many exclusives to offer? 360 blows the PS3 and the Wii completely away in that department.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 03:55 PM   #42
The Ownage
Local High School Star

LOL I didn't explain it properly. What I meant to say was that the 360 hasn't got NEWER exclusives coming out soon. Obviously 360 blows both the other consoles away in exclusives. But I meant to say there ain't any major newer ones coming out.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:58 PM   #43
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Sonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputation

Here it is raw:

Xbox 360 has a far more vast library of games. Most of anything on the PS3 is on 360 except pretty much lame 8 hours games like Lair and Heavenly Sword. Those games can be completed on a rental and thus you save $50+ but still have nothing to play. Only bright spots for the PS3 are GT5 and MGS4.

Online play is leagues better than the PS3. The 360 was developed around online game play where the PS3 online is so broken.

Games that are multi platform are likely to be better on the 360. Familiar hardware for programmers to capitalize on where the PS3 has 7 processors and programming is a pita. Valve refused to do Orange Box on the PS3 because it was a pain to program as well as the fact that it is a failing system.

PlayStation 3 is loosing software support in both the USA and Japan (its homeland) The Japanese are moving to the DS -- yes the DS has the highest install base in Japan -- Japan is where the majority of the PlayStation games come from. US developers are already committed to the Xbox 360.

At the current rate, the PlayStation 3 will likely be a failed format -- like it or not the Wii is the #1 console WORLDWIDE. Video games are king in Japan and the 360 is on life support there even though there are still quality titles coming from Japan

Of note, the PlayStation 3 models on the shelves right now (40GB and 80GB) cannot play old games as in PSX and PS2 games. Only the rare 20GB and the 60GB, both no longer in production, have backwards compatibility.

For an enjoyable and successful gaming experience, get a Xbox 360. For a console that has no support, is hard to program for, uses a proprietary media format which may go the way of Batamax and Mini Disc, and has next to no support in its home coutry, look at a PlayStation 3.

I prefer Japanese style games and hoped the PS3 would be successful but it just doesn't seem to be.

Disclaimer: I have ALL console and do not pledge allegiance to any one. I play games from NES, Genesis, Turbo Duo, Saturn, Jaguar, X68000, et cetera… I have over 1000 games in my collection for various console.
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:18 PM   #44
RIMMER
Retired ISH Legend

RIMMER has decent reputation

The new 80Gig PS3 is backward compatible with PS1 and PS2 games. The PS3 is a long term investment. Blu-Ray is pulling ahead in the hi-def format war. The Orange Box is being released on the PS3 as well. And as programmers become acquainted with the PS3 hardware, more games will come and the 30FPS will be replaced by 60FPS.

The 360 has over a year head start on the PS3. I'm sure Sony is going to make up some serious ground over the next year or two. And as I mentioned before, once Blu-Ray becomes the dominant format, there will be an added bonus for PS3 owners. The 360 library is amazing at the moment, but the PS3 still has exclusive titles coming out soon, such as Final Fantasy and MGS.

I got a 360 last Christmas (2006) and I just bought myself a brand new 80Gig PS3 this Christmas ($330 on craigslist), so either way, I'm prepared for the future. 360 for instant gratification, PS3 as my long term investment. Plus, it replaces my PS1 and PS2 consoles and opens up shelf space.
RIMMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:53 PM   #45
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Sonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIMMER
The new 80Gig PS3 is backward compatible with PS1 and PS2 games. The PS3 is a long term investment. Blu-Ray is pulling ahead in the hi-def format war. The Orange Box is being released on the PS3 as well…

The 80GB backwards compatibility is software emulation where the original models(20GB/60GB) were hardware emulation (emotion chip). If one has an 80GB then Backwards compatibility status check will be crucial. The 40GB has NO backwards compatibility.

Valve licensed Orange Box to Electronic Arts to handle the PS3 port. It is by far the worst version as EA had difficulty in the translation.

I buy all my console at launch (I'm an early adoptor )
I have/had high hopes for PS3 and wish it to do well but it looks real bleak right now…I am really looking forward to GT5 -- my favorite racing game -- far better than Forza.
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: