Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Dallas Mavericks Forum

Dallas Mavericks Forum Dallas Mavericks message board - mavs message board - dallas mavericks fan forum

Old 01-04-2008, 10:03 PM   #1
oldenpolynice
Local High School Star

oldenpolynice has decent reputation
Default Devin Harris

...is back in the Top 25. After a stint on the cusp, Harris is once again one of the Top 25 NBA Players Under Age 25. For the complete list, check out the link below.

Top 25 NBA Players Under Age 25
oldenpolynice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:00 AM   #2
NastaMaverick
College superstar

NastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Talking Re: Devin Harris

<-----Devin Harris Fanatic
:)
NastaMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:21 PM   #3
oldenpolynice
Local High School Star

Default Re: Devin Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastaMaverick

Nasta, in your opinion, why is D Harris so inconsistent? Would he be better on a different team? One where he wouldn't have to share PT so much with another PG.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:31 PM   #4
NastaMaverick
College superstar

NastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenpolynice
Nasta, in your opinion, why is D Harris so inconsistent? Would he be better on a different team? One where he wouldn't have to share PT so much with another PG.
1.He's very streaky. He had about 6-7 games of scoring like 5-10 points and missing several shots. Now he's had about 5 games in a row of putting up numbers like 15 and 9.
2.Most definatley, one of the main problems is Terry being an option on PG and Harris having to share much PT. I think he would be an all-star on a team such as the 76ers or the T-Wolves.
3. Whoops I didnt read the 3rd Q, but I basically answered it in my answer above.
NastaMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:46 PM   #5
Remix
SONICS FAN SINCE '10

Remix has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastaMaverick
<----- NastaMaverick Fanatic
Remix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:19 PM   #6
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

Silent Mav has decent reputationSilent Mav has decent reputation

If Avery would just let him play. He still has him looking over his shoulder at the bench at times. There are stretches where Devin is getting to the bucket and then Avery takes him out and either puts Jet in or leaves Jet in instead. If Devin is rolling leave him in. You named him the point guard, now let him play and run the team. Live with any mistakes so he learns quicker.
Silent Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:14 PM   #7
oldenpolynice
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Mav
If Avery would just let him play. He still has him looking over his shoulder at the bench at times. There are stretches where Devin is getting to the bucket and then Avery takes him out and either puts Jet in or leaves Jet in instead. If Devin is rolling leave him in. You named him the point guard, now let him play and run the team. Live with any mistakes so he learns quicker.

Yeah, he's almost 25 years old though. The time for learning on the job is over. With those mistakes, he's giving Avery a reason to stand and look over his shoulder. He's just gotta go balls out and put 110% effort in (that includes working on ways to cut down his turnovers).
Old 01-15-2008, 01:02 AM   #8
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

The clock is ticking. But it's hard for anyone to play when they're looking at the bench. Avery should've turned it over to him last year. More like what Pops did with Parker early in his career, lived with it and let him grow.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:32 PM   #9
oldenpolynice
Local High School Star

Quote:
The clock is ticking. But it's hard for anyone to play when they're looking at the bench. Avery should've turned it over to him last year. More like what Pops did with Parker early in his career, lived with it and let him grow.

After watching him again last night, he's just not the type of PG I'd want to run my basketball team. He makes out of control passes and poor decisions. I'm with Avery on this one, sorry. There's just a much better PG waiting on the bench (unlike when Parker was young in S.A.).
Old 01-22-2008, 12:06 PM   #10
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

I agree he makes bad choices, but it gets back to my original post. If he had been turned over the reins sooner, the learning curve would be farther along and he might not be making those mistakes. If he still is, then you know what you have and try to do something about it. But due to lack of consistant playing time they still aren't sure and that could influence making a move.

And if you are referring to Jason Terry as the better pg on the bench, well I'm sorry but no. Jet is a shooting guard in a point guards body. And is a defensive liability. I like Jet, but the 6th man role is suited for him. Instant offense off the bench. If Jet isn't hitting, he isn't bringing much to the table.

Now if you're talking about JJ Barea, that's interesting. His size makes him more of a defensive problem than Jet. And Avery has even told him to make himself a pest defensively when he's on the court. But I will say the kid does have pg skills and instincts. He's given the Mavs a lift more than once when he's gotten into a game. But still not a better option than Devin at this point.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:49 PM   #11
oldenpolynice
Local High School Star

Quote:
And if you are referring to Jason Terry as the better pg on the bench, well I'm sorry but no. Jet is a shooting guard in a point guards body. And is a defensive liability. I like Jet, but the 6th man role is suited for him. Instant offense off the bench. If Jet isn't hitting, he isn't bringing much to the table.

Now if you're talking about JJ Barea, that's interesting. His size makes him more of a defensive problem than Jet. And Avery has even told him to make himself a pest defensively when he's on the court. But I will say the kid does have pg skills and instincts. He's given the Mavs a lift more than once when he's gotten into a game. But still not a better option than Devin at this point.

I was talking about Barea, in terms of being a better pure PG. Terry and Harris are more like hybrids. Barea is a bit younger than Harris, but just as quick and has more of a distributor's mentality. I would trade Harris and groom Barea. Dallas really needs someone to dictate the offense, set a tempo and distribute. Nowhere was that more relevant than in the 2007 postseason series against Golden State.

You are right, they should have developed Harris more in his younger years. But they have already made that mistake and Harris is what he is: a project at nearly 25 years old.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:26 AM   #12
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

The Big Three has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenpolynice
...is back in the Top 25. After a stint on the cusp, Harris is once again one of the Top 25 NBA Players Under Age 25. For the complete list, check out the link below.

Top 25 NBA Players Under Age 25

good Job. keep up the good work.

Last edited by NastaMaverick : 01-27-2008 at 10:18 AM.
The Big Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 01:17 PM   #13
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

I think he's more of a work in progress than a project. He's had a nice streak going these last 5 games. Periods where he's taken over the game. Point Guard is one of the positions it takes the longest to figure out. Of course you have guys like Paul and Deron that throw that out the window. But look at how long Billups bounced around and took to figure it out. Compare Nash's first 4 years to Devin's and you might be surprised. Of course it's still too early to tell where the kid is going to end up.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:19 PM   #14
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

The Big Three has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Three
good Job. keep up the good work.

Haha nice edit Maverick.
The Big Three is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: