Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 01-07-2008, 03:10 AM   #16
shadow
Laker fan here

shadow is considered somewhat coolshadow is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: First Time Playing 'Oblivian'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
A RPG is a RPG...

I choose not to play repetitive, poorly implimented RPG's with no online capability.

If you like Oblivion, send me a PM and i'll show you some RPG's that will blow your mind. Actually, 2008 is going to have 4 or 5 major MMORPG releases. I don't see why anyone would choose to play Oblivion (that's probaby why it's the cheapest PS3 game in Gamestop).

Also, don't buy those online "custumer reviews". My friend actually works for a marketing firm and one of his jobs is to "stuff the ballots". Most of those "customer reviews" are made by employees for the company who actually make the game. It's actually a incredibly successful tactic and cheap as well.

Are they top secret or something. Share some good games bro :)
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:49 AM   #17
WoGiTaLiA1
Local High School Star

WoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputationWoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputation

Oblivion is solid, the MMORPG comment is interesting to me because it actually feels a lot like one. Again I can see how someone with way too much time and a vivid imagination could get into it. I didn't but I can see the positives of it.

But! It felt like an MMORPG without the other players. The things that made many people love it made me dislike it I think. Far too much open space, lack of story(read open endedness). I'm yet to find a MMORPG that I like. WOW was fun for the first week, but after that it's just the same thing over and over and over again and you spend more time just running between places than anything else. I could see EVE being fun if I gave it more time, but I only got the trial and then ended up going away for 8 of the 15 days, again though, it already had that whole "running between places" feel to it which just feels like wasting time to me.

Best RPG I've played online remains Diablo 2 and Diablo and it's just not even close on it. The action was fast and easy to find and if you were running you were being chased and by the end game pretty much every class had some way of teleporting, town portals allowed your group to catch you up. I still haven't seen a MMORPG that has such a good transport system as the way points, teleport/speed skills and town portals. Admittedly I haven't wasted that much time on MMORPGs.
WoGiTaLiA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:42 AM   #18
OlDeRaDo_64
Jazz Vs Bulls Oct 6 :D

OlDeRaDo_64 has an OK reputation so far

Well as soon as i started playing oblivion i was hooked. I may have completed the main story and most of the factions (dark brotherhood, thieves guild, arena, mages guild, vampire slayers thingy, fighters guild) but i still enjoy playing it. Really good game.

Looking for an RPG? Good visuals? Nice storyline? I hear that Fable 2 is meant to be amazing... im gunna be buying when it comes out (whenever that is)
OlDeRaDo_64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:49 AM   #19
sixerfan82
College star

sixerfan82 is starting to rub some people the wrong waysixerfan82 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

it's a great game, very non linear, however it does still have flaws

1) what is up with psychic guards? i killed someone in the deepest shadows of a town and IMMEDIATELY you hear "HALT CRIMINAL!".

2) whats up with enemies chasing you forever, if you run through a bunch of guys and just keep running for a good mile, you will see a train of enemies in a few seconds. I'm all for persistence, but geez. Talk about a hunter.

3) Speachcraft is just retarded, and buggy. Ok, so if i inflate your ego a little bit i can get more information out of you, ok? And of course what's up with the facial expressions, can we have move than 1 animation for lips, eyes, mouth, etc? It's the same animations over and over.

Anywho, i played it, i got like 9 gates closed and got tired of the repetitiveness. Explore the dungeons IMO, very aesthetically pleasing
sixerfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:38 PM   #20
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow
Are they top secret or something. Share some good games bro :)

I'm not playingany MMO's right now, mainly because the ones I did play got old.

The best ones out right now, that I've personally played are:

World of Warcraft- totally blown out game, but it's still a great game. I played it for almost 3 YEARS at launch.

City of Heroes / City of Villians- lacks some depth, but the character creation and development is awesome. You can spend days just creating different superheroes.

Guild Wars- more emphasis on team pvp combat. The entire game is instances so you don't have to travel forever like a poster above me mentioned. Also no monthly fee for this game.

Lord of the Rings Online- played like a broke version of WoW, in my opinion. It's a solid game, but WoW would be my suggesstion.

Fury- underground game most don't know about. Intense pvp action and diverse character building. This game killed my comp so I actually couldn't play it... outlandish graphics and effects.

Tabula Rasa- I haven't played this yet, but it's currently the game with the most "buzz". Came out recently and I beleive they are offering free trials.

Star Wars Galaxies- this game was awesome 6 years ago.... if you love Star Wars it's worth trying. SoE kind of destroyed the game, but I hear it may be getting better.

EQ2- Never played it, but I hear the graphics are awesome. After SoE destroyed SWG I was hesitant to give them another shot.

Coming soon:

Warhammer Online (feb)- Another WoW clone with more focus on realism and group pvp combat. I'll defintely try this one out.

Chronicles of the Spellborn- this game looks interesting as well to me. The combat system looks interesting to say the least, and the world and graphics are supposed to be good.

Age of Conan- I've been waiting on this for two years. It was supposed to be released last April, was delayed till October, and now is set for release April of 08. this game is based around building cities, and having huge player city wars (ala Shadowbane). It also offers normal PvE instance type dungeons, character / home development, and a in dpeth combat system.

Other notables:

2 Moons- In beta.

Vangaurd: Saga of Heroes- no PvP and another Sony ran product.

Darkfall- don't hold your breath. It's been in developement for 8 years in Greece. Supposedly it's the end all of RPG's, but it sounds a lot like Age of Conan up to this point.

Anyway, I would recommend trying ANY of those games if you want a fun and engaging RPG. Any RPG that isn't online and multiplayer is living in the past (like 10 years ago).

I'm not playing any RPG's now (just playing PS3 sports and action/adventure games). Going to try Warhammer in Feb, but I doubt it keeps my interest. Next game I'm looking forward to is Age of Conan in April (hopefully).
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:34 PM   #21
Aldridge Fan
Go Blazers!

Aldridge Fan has decent reputationAldridge Fan has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixerfan82

2) whats up with enemies chasing you forever, if you run through a bunch of guys and just keep running for a good mile, you will see a train of enemies in a few seconds. I'm all for persistence, but geez. Talk about a hunter.

No one really answered my question. What are some other good medieval games?
Aldridge Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:50 AM   #22
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldridge Fan

No one really answered my question. What are some other good medieval games?

The best game coming out for PS3 that could be considered "medievalish" is Dynasty Warriors 6. It comes out in February and is a must have.

For PC, Age of Conan is also "medievalish" but comes out in April. Vangaurd: Saga of Heroes is also "medievalish".
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:19 AM   #23
WoGiTaLiA1
Local High School Star

WoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputationWoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputation

Quote:
What are some other good medieval games?

There are very few medieval games. Most are fantasy. To be totally honest I can't even think of a good one. I also don't know of any on the consoles.

I do know that Neverwinter Nights was very good as was Baldurs Gate 2, both on the PC though. I've heard very good things about Planscape: Torment and Icewind Dale also, but those are both getting very old. There just haven't been any good RPGs to come out in quite a while(I haven't played The Witcher of NWN2 yet but have heard mixed things about both). Most RPG development is going into MMORPGs and most of them aren't very good, hell great games in general have been very few and far between of late, seems to be more focus in making games look good than making the games themself good.
WoGiTaLiA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:00 PM   #24
Smokee
Banned

Smokee is a pretty well-respected posterSmokee is a pretty well-respected posterSmokee is a pretty well-respected posterSmokee is a pretty well-respected poster

Oblivion was great at first but got old real fast. And i'm the type that loves these type of games. To me everything looked too much the same, especially the dungeons. The AI wasnt too good either.

I think what really killed it was the level matching where fighting bears and wolves and stupid crap like that was a pain. And most of all the whole magic system and items. Imo the whole create a spell and items all having charges, etc. was just bad. It was probably the worst RPG itemized game i've ever played, i just really really hated how they did item's and spells. Actually hate the whole Bard's Tale which i believe this spawned off of way of how they do their items/magic to most other rpg's.

I loved Baldurs Gates, NWN1 and 2, etc. They did good itemization and magic spells, etc. while Oblivion/Bethesda did it so cheesy it kills the game bigtime for me.
Smokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:15 PM   #25
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The Witcher is fantastic. One of my favourites games of the year. It's long and very involving. It has it's flaws (combat system is a bit wonky) but a great game overall.

I hated Neverwinter Nights 2. Almost everything about it. It was such a gigantic disappointment for me because I loved Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 and NWN 1 as well.

And for anyone that wants a deep involving storyline, go for Planescape Torment. It's old (as the graphics show) but I have never experienced a better story in a video game than that.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:31 PM   #26
sixerfan82
College star

sixerfan82 is starting to rub some people the wrong waysixerfan82 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

the dungeons had very little if any creatures in them as well
sixerfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:19 PM   #27
WhiteMosɘs
Free Myanmar

WhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation hereWhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation hereWhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation hereWhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation hereWhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation hereWhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoGiTaLiA1
Oblivion is solid, the MMORPG comment is interesting to me because it actually feels a lot like one. Again I can see how someone with way too much time and a vivid imagination could get into it. I didn't but I can see the positives of it.

But! It felt like an MMORPG without the other players. The things that made many people love it made me dislike it I think. Far too much open space, lack of story(read open endedness). I'm yet to find a MMORPG that I like. WOW was fun for the first week, but after that it's just the same thing over and over and over again and you spend more time just running between places than anything else. I could see EVE being fun if I gave it more time, but I only got the trial and then ended up going away for 8 of the 15 days, again though, it already had that whole "running between places" feel to it which just feels like wasting time to me.

Best RPG I've played online remains Diablo 2 and Diablo and it's just not even close on it. The action was fast and easy to find and if you were running you were being chased and by the end game pretty much every class had some way of teleporting, town portals allowed your group to catch you up. I still haven't seen a MMORPG that has such a good transport system as the way points, teleport/speed skills and town portals. Admittedly I haven't wasted that much time on MMORPGs.

I hate Diablo. You can't possibly complain about the same thing over and over again in games and then confess you love Diablo. It's a button masher; completely repetitive.
WhiteMosɘs is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: