Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 01-06-2008, 11:58 AM   #1
20 Dimes A Game
HeartHustleHope

Default How can i take my game to the next level?

WARNING: This will be a long post.

Right, i just turned 14 and i love basketball. It's all i think about, it's all i do.

I can play. I'm Captain, MVP Point Guard for my team ( ranked No.4 in the country for that age group) and i also play as a back up point for an older team (No.3 in the countryfor that age group). I know i'm one of the top players in the country, i've represented my state, i one of the top 10 or 12 players in the North of my country and i'm trailing for my country sometime late this year.

About me;

I'm 5'8
121 lbs

I've had a huge growth spurt this last 6-8 months, i've grown about 6 inches in that time. I've gone from a small, stubby, chubby kid, and now i'm quite tall, i've got leaner and my body fat is around 8%.

About my game;

Genrally, i'm a pass first PG who likes to slow the game down and share the ball. Much like my hero's John Stockton and Chauncey Billups.
My coach always tells me to shoot more, apparently i drive and dish alot when i could take the shot myself. I'm not great at pushing the ball, and fast breaking is a weakness of mine.

Ballhandling;

Is very good, but sometimes i struggle with a super quick defender.

Shooting;

Is improving but very streaky, my range is up to the NBA three. I'm a solid free throw shooter.

Passing;

Good but i sometimes struggle with high pressure defence.

Defence;

I'm very tough and have been called a 'Dirty' player. I use all the little tricks and love to get in my guy's head with trash talking.I can shut my man down and stop them scoring or even getting the ball. I know they can't function properly with me in their head, but i can.

Rebounding;

Obviously as a PG, my rebounding numbers aren't huge due to having players a foot taller on court.

Post play;

Because i've grown alot recently, i've over taken other points in size and i love to get them in the post. I have many moves and i'm quite strong.

Athleticsism;

With my growth has come a new found atleticsism. I' pretty quick and i can jump fairly high. I can take layups while slapping the backboard.

Weaknesses;

My main weaknesses are; pushing the ball on the fast break and handling pressure as a ballhandler and passer.

I have a 2 hour team practice on Mondays and Wednesdays and four hours practice on Saturday morning with games on Sat or Sun.

I play pickup at school for an hour everyday.

I want to be the best, i believe i work harder than anyone but i think i can work harder. I've got up a few times before school at 6am to shoot but it's not regular. I want to get up every day before school.
Everyday i don't have practice, i practice everyday after school for a few hours. I HATE losing, i can't bare it, i lose sleep over lost games etc.

I do next to nothing in terms of improving athletiscism, and i'd like to do more.

I'd say i'm farly natural at basketball, this is only my second season at the national level and i've been called the top PG in the country at my age group already. So i've accomplished quite alot.

So, i'm wondering what can i do to be the best? Not top 10 or so, but number 1? The best.

How can i raise my game and get selected to the national squad?
If anyone could give me any tips, any at all on how to raise my game, that would be great.
20 Dimes A Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:10 PM   #2
Maniak
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: How can i take my game to the next level?

personally i cant take fast break pressure...get to tense and miss when i practice(at home) i like to work sprinting down and laying in, and if i practice a free throw, i apply pressure to myself to help me boost confidence. this has helped...in a odd way:

I was playing 1v1 with my friend, i got a covered up shot that was about free throw, swished it, kept on nailing shots WITH HIM ON ME...yet he just stopped guarding me....and i missed....kinda weird, but the pressure kinda helps me, and boosts in the way that i almost like being pressured, then proving the person that pressures me it just does not matter.

thats what i gotta say for that
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:32 PM   #3
20 Dimes A Game
HeartHustleHope

Bump.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:13 PM   #4
20 Dimes A Game
HeartHustleHope

Bump.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:24 PM   #5
CySniper
Banned

you trying to get in the nba or something?
CySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:00 PM   #6
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

5'8" 121 pounds is pretty fu cking skinny and thin

you may be 8% BF but you probably are pretty bony then.

of course youare still a young guy so theres tim efor your natural genes to kick in and for muscle growth to take over.

as for your next level:

Better Basketball DVD set
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:41 PM   #7
20 Dimes A Game
HeartHustleHope

Nah trust i'm not skinny. I thought 121 lbs was heavy.

And i have Better Basketball.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:32 PM   #8
jbot
Future D1 Dad

just keep practicing as much as possible. constantly work on fundamentals (ballhandling, passing, shooting, footwork, etc.). make sure you have a strong work ethic(1st one in the gym/last one out, never give up on any plays, etc.) because coaches love that.

if u can, PM me your name. i wanna check up on ya.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:45 PM   #9
theparade
I usually hit open layups

Being a guard who is breaking the Top 10 in the province (up in Canada), find a good quality instructional place. Up here its the Drive development, they give you 1 hr of working out, and they have professionals working you out, Strength and Conditioning ppl etc. Then they have expereienced coaches NCAA level etc working your game. Find one. They are sort of expensive, but definitely worth it.

Last edited by theparade : 01-07-2008 at 10:06 PM.
theparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:05 PM   #10
theparade
I usually hit open layups

I sort of outlined your weaknesses you mentioned.
Ballhandling;

Is very good, but sometimes i struggle with a super quick defender.

Confidence keeps in play here, myself being a fast defender and get in your face etc, changes of paces from very slow and then fast bursts of speed can get the defence in trouble. Also, your the Top ranked PG, you have the skills and technique, you can do it, and just keep in mind, if you can't get into a better offensive situation, you can just pass it off. No pressure.

Shooting;

Is improving but very streaky, my range is up to the NBA three. I'm a solid free throw shooter.

Lots of drills you can do, look up Ray Allen's NBA Fundamentals, I like that one. Practice running of screens and shooting the ball. And also, when your just shooting around, REMEMBER, shoot them at game pace. To simulate a pull-up jumper, do 3-4 between the leg dribbles on the spot, and then shoot the ball. Just some tricks I've been doing, and it's helped my game.

Passing;

Good but i sometimes struggle with high pressure defence.

With high pressure defence, remember that sometimes the lanes are wide open. Simple plays = easy points (simple screens off the ball etc) when everyone is playing tight, man to man defence. How is your ability to drive to the hoop? The lanes are usually wide open, and you'll get plenty of fouls.

Weaknesses;

My main weaknesses are; pushing the ball on the fast break and handling pressure as a ballhandler and passer.

Hey, remember you can always just slow down. Have confidence that you can do it. Don't be scared to drive right into traffic, that's were you get your fouls. Pull-up jumpers help a lot to me in a fastbreak situation, usually the defender's expecting a pass or a drive in.
theparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:09 PM   #11
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 Dimes A Game
Nah trust i'm not skinny. I thought 121 lbs was heavy.

And i have Better Basketball.

then that can only mean you are destined to be at least 6 feet and are still in that young adolescent development phase

that's good news.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:51 PM   #12
Unreal Skill
Love me or Hate me

Actually at 5'8 and weighing only around 121 is very skinny, but it's not bad since you're a PG and speed and quickness is more important than size and strength.

One thing you can improve is your rebounding. Battle for postion under the basketball, box out someone closest to you, go for that long rebound. Kidd is only 6'4 and a PG and he can around 7 rebs per game because he work HARD for it.

Another thing you can do is to work on your drills and play. If court is open, run fast break with yourself. Pretend to shoot off screen, do that kind of stuffs.
Unreal Skill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:30 AM   #13
20 Dimes A Game
HeartHustleHope

Thanks guys.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:31 AM   #14
20 Dimes A Game
HeartHustleHope

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbot
just keep practicing as much as possible. constantly work on fundamentals (ballhandling, passing, shooting, footwork, etc.). make sure you have a strong work ethic(1st one in the gym/last one out, never give up on any plays, etc.) because coaches love that.

if u can, PM me your name. i wanna check up on ya.

What?
Old 01-08-2008, 01:02 PM   #15
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

once you become a good jumpshooter

begin shooting with your off hand

hell develop your off hand right now for layups and other interior moves
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: