Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2008, 02:55 AM   #1
VCMVP1551
NBA rookie of the year
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Charlie Villanuevas Eyebrows
Posts: 6,732
Default Roy Hibbert

He seems like an NBA quality center. He does some of those essential things a team needs from a big man. He blocks shots, intimidates players, he has a soft touch and good footwork, he has excellent footwork which allows him to play strong defense, he has incredible size and he is a great passer. He just needs to get his free throw shooting back up to about 70% and improve on the boards. Considering his 7'2" frame and strong fundamentals the rebounding should improve and he has proved in the past he can shoot free throws. He'd help Chicago a lot.
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:14 AM   #2
IBLEEDGREEN20
Local High School Star
 
IBLEEDGREEN20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Meredith, NH
Posts: 1,493
Default Re: Roy Hibbert

hibbert is a pretty good center, but he needs to get quicker..
IBLEEDGREEN20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:21 AM   #3
VCMVP1551
NBA rookie of the year
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Charlie Villanuevas Eyebrows
Posts: 6,732
Default Re: Roy Hibbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBLEEDGREEN20
hibbert is a pretty good center, but he needs to get quicker..

I agree but that won't be a huge problem IMO. His good footwork really helps him on defense. He also seems like a winning player because of the things I mentioned. Georgetown is 11-1.
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:55 PM   #4
dak121
College star
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,533
Default Re: Roy Hibbert

He's a perfect Paxson player:

1) Winner in college.
2) Coachable.
3) Limited.

At best he may be a top 10 center in the league. But that's not really saying a lot.

I won't be jumping for joy when the Bulls draft him. But he's not completely useless.
dak121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:28 PM   #5
stewen12
Banned
 
stewen12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chill with that
Posts: 2,742
Default Re: Roy Hibbert

Hibbert will turn out to be a more mild version of Marcus Camby.
stewen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:35 PM   #6
VCMVP1551
NBA rookie of the year
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Charlie Villanuevas Eyebrows
Posts: 6,732
Default Re: Roy Hibbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewen12
Hibbert will turn out to be a more mild version of Marcus Camby.

I don't like the comparison because Hibbert doesn't have the athletisism, jump shot or rebounding skills Camby does but Camby doesn't have the post moves, the size or the low post passing skills Hibbert does. Hibbert will put up better scoring numbers but lower rebound numbers. Shot blocking could be close and assists could be close(Hibbert would get them in a different way though).
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:45 PM   #7
stewen12
Banned
 
stewen12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chill with that
Posts: 2,742
Default Re: Roy Hibbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCMVP1551
I don't like the comparison because Hibbert doesn't have the athletisism, jump shot or rebounding skills Camby does but Camby doesn't have the post moves, the size or the low post passing skills Hibbert does. Hibbert will put up better scoring numbers but lower rebound numbers. Shot blocking could be close and assists could be close(Hibbert would get them in a different way though).
True that. hibbert is more injury prone. Hibbert could grab alot of boards a game because of his height
stewen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:37 PM   #8
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.
 
wang4three's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,925
Default Re: Roy Hibbert

Roy Hibbert at best is the next Brad Miller.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:44 PM   #9
VCMVP1551
NBA rookie of the year
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Charlie Villanuevas Eyebrows
Posts: 6,732
Default Re: Roy Hibbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewen12
True that. hibbert is more injury prone. Hibbert could grab alot of boards a game because of his height

Camby has been very injury prone during his career. I don't see any reason why Hibbert would be more injury prone. As far as rebounding when you consider he is 7'1"-7'2", about 275 pounds and he has excellent footwork and fundamentals he should average 10 plus rebounds per game in the NBA when he reaches his prime.
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:46 PM   #10
VCMVP1551
NBA rookie of the year
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Charlie Villanuevas Eyebrows
Posts: 6,732
Default Re: Roy Hibbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three
Roy Hibbert at best is the next Brad Miller.

No you are forgettind defense. I could see why you would say his offense and rebounding might be similar(even though i disagree) but Hibbert is a great shot blocker and he has excellent footwork which helps him guard quicker players. He also can change shots even when he doesn't block them. You can't say that about Miller.
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:07 PM   #11
stewen12
Banned
 
stewen12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chill with that
Posts: 2,742
Default Re: Roy Hibbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewen12
True that. hibbert is more injury prone. Hibbert could grab alot of boards a game because of his height
Sorry, that was a mistake. I meant Camby is very injury prone not hibbert
stewen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:12 PM   #12
Put Back Dunk
TOMMY POINT!
 
Put Back Dunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: South of Boston
Posts: 1,279
Default Re: Roy Hibbert

I think Hibbert would be perfect for Memphis. Hibbert playing down low for the Grizz would allow Pau to play in the high post, where he's most comfortable, and with the 3pt shooters that Memphis has they would make teams pay for collapsing their D around Hibbert in the paint, especially when you add his passing ability into the equation. He (and Memphis) wouldn't have to worry about durability issues either because he would have Darko to split time with, or at least create a three man rotation with him and Pau.

But the Knicks will probably take him because he's from Georgetown.
Put Back Dunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:05 AM   #13
VCMVP1551
NBA rookie of the year
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Charlie Villanuevas Eyebrows
Posts: 6,732
Default Re: Roy Hibbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Put Back Dunk
But the Knicks will probably take him because he's from Georgetown.

They traded their lottery pick to Chicago.
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:59 AM   #14
Put Back Dunk
TOMMY POINT!
 
Put Back Dunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: South of Boston
Posts: 1,279
Default Re: Roy Hibbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCMVP1551
They traded their lottery pick to Chicago.

They already paid of those two picks from the Eddy Curry deal, which were used on Ty Thomas and Joakim Noah.
Put Back Dunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:55 AM   #15
VCMVP1551
NBA rookie of the year
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Charlie Villanuevas Eyebrows
Posts: 6,732
Default Re: Roy Hibbert

I've heard comparisons to Zydrunas Ilgauskas but Hibbert has more athletisism, passing skills and he is a superior defender.
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:


Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:06 PM.




NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook


















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy