Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 01-08-2008, 12:57 PM   #16
PK3434
Good Golly!

Default Re: Roy Hibbert

Hibbert is a good player and will be a good NBA player...like Yao Ming, he will struggle against running teams (see the Memphis game).
PK3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:54 PM   #17
veilside23
alternick = loser :D

^^ ditto.
veilside23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:37 PM   #18
oldenpolynice
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Put Back Dunk
I think Hibbert would be perfect for Memphis. Hibbert playing down low for the Grizz would allow Pau to play in the high post, where he's most comfortable, and with the 3pt shooters that Memphis has they would make teams pay for collapsing their D around Hibbert in the paint, especially when you add his passing ability into the equation. He (and Memphis) wouldn't have to worry about durability issues either because he would have Darko to split time with, or at least create a three man rotation with him and Pau.

But the Knicks will probably take him because he's from Georgetown.

You're right, Hibbert would be a good fit for the Grizzlies. But they will be too high up the draft board to take him.

The thing I like best about Hibbert is that he can pass out of the post. But really, he doesn't run the floor well, can get into foul trouble and doesn't have great stamina.

Personally I think Hibbert has more or less shown his full potential. He doesn't look improved from last season. He is a beast though and his post moves/footwork are solid. If I'm a team in the 14-16 pick range of the first round, I would definitely take him.
oldenpolynice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:53 PM   #19
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCMVP1551
No you are forgettind defense. I could see why you would say his offense and rebounding might be similar(even though i disagree) but Hibbert is a great shot blocker and he has excellent footwork which helps him guard quicker players. He also can change shots even when he doesn't block them. You can't say that about Miller.

Brad Miller was a good defender in his day, I don't know where you got that he wasn't. Roy will be a better shot blocker cause he's taller and has longer arms, but as far as man-defense, Brad Miller was solid. He was strong, had quick hands, and didn't let himself get bullied. Roy, like Brad, are average athletic people as far as NBA standards go. Roy may be able to guard "quicker" players--for that I don't believe you have the right assessment, but entertaining the idea, regardless--he definitely won't be able to as far as the quicker NBA forwards/centers go. Right now he has his length to make up the difference when dealing with college players but it won't be the same in the NBA.

Yes, I can't say that Brad Miller was a legitimate shot blocking presence in his prime, but that'll be the only aspect that Roy will exceed Brad in noticeably. Though, it would take Roy to have atleast 2bpg (rounded down) for that to happen. There will be a few here's and there's as well. Roy probably will go to his hook more while Brad hits the jumper, but the idea is similarity, not mirror images. Brad will always be a better passer in my opinion as well. End of the day their impact to the game will be identical, if Roy improves. His ceiling is not very high, and being an early-King version of Brad Miller is no shame. He was a top 10 center then.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:45 PM   #20
VCMVP1551
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three
Brad Miller was a good defender in his day, I don't know where you got that he wasn't. Roy will be a better shot blocker cause he's taller and has longer arms, but as far as man-defense, Brad Miller was solid. He was strong, had quick hands, and didn't let himself get bullied. Roy, like Brad, are average athletic people as far as NBA standards go. Roy may be able to guard "quicker" players--for that I don't believe you have the right assessment, but entertaining the idea, regardless--he definitely won't be able to as far as the quicker NBA forwards/centers go. Right now he has his length to make up the difference when dealing with college players but it won't be the same in the NBA.

Yes, I can't say that Brad Miller was a legitimate shot blocking presence in his prime, but that'll be the only aspect that Roy will exceed Brad in noticeably. Though, it would take Roy to have atleast 2bpg (rounded down) for that to happen. There will be a few here's and there's as well. Roy probably will go to his hook more while Brad hits the jumper, but the idea is similarity, not mirror images. Brad will always be a better passer in my opinion as well. End of the day their impact to the game will be identical, if Roy improves. His ceiling is not very high, and being an early-King version of Brad Miller is no shame. He was a top 10 center then.

Fair enough. Just from watching Roy though I think he can make a far bigger impact on defense. I was shocked at how well he can stay in front of some quicker players. Of course like every young big man he gets some bad fouls but I think he actually does have a lot of potential. He think he will surprise some people. Of course being an all star like Brad Miller, averaging about 13-15 ppg, 8-10 rpg, 3-4 apg and 1-2 bpg isnt bad at all and I am sure anyone who drafts Hibbert would love that kind of production. I believe Miller was an all star atleast one season if not a few times.
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:13 AM   #21
VCMVP1551
NBA rookie of the year

Roy had a dominating game today.

17 points, 11 rebounds, 5 assists, 7-9 FG, 3-4 FT in just 24 minutes.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:08 PM   #22
dak121
College star

Just hit a gamewinning 3 against UConn. Nice form and everything.
dak121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:14 PM   #23
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

He'd be a nice backup Center. Starting? Eh, i mean he could start but his mpg would be under 30. Too slow for a league that loves to exploit matchups. He probably can do Todd Mccalough/Nazr Mohammed stats. Which aint bad...but dont expect dude to be beasting when drafted.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:20 PM   #24
baseketball4life
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
He'd be a nice backup Center. Starting? Eh, i mean he could start but his mpg would be under 30. Too slow for a league that loves to exploit matchups. He probably can do Todd Mccalough/Nazr Mohammed stats. Which aint bad...but dont expect dude to be beasting when drafted.
he cant be compared to yao, he'll probably struggle to get any PT for a few years
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 06:02 PM   #25
VCMVP1551
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
but dont expect dude to be beasting when drafted.

I am not. I am expecting him to play solid fundamental basketball early on. He doesn't have the physical tools/athletisism Dwight Howard, Greg Oden, Andrew Bynum or DeAndre Jordan have but he is skilled. He had a great game today. 20 pts, 8 rebounds, 2 assists and a block vs Hasheem Thabeet one of the top defenders in college. The game winning 3 was surprising too. Like I've said before I think his footwork will help him against quicker defenders.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:29 PM   #26
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Who compared him to Yao dumbass?
Old 01-12-2008, 06:46 PM   #27
PK3434
Good Golly!

Quote:
Who compared him to Yao dumbass?

Do you know how to read? He wasn't compared to Yao...I simply and accurately stated that he will struggling against running teams like Yao does sometimes.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:50 PM   #28
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK3434
Do you know how to read? He wasn't compared to Yao...I simply and accurately stated that he will struggling against running teams like Yao does sometimes.

I suggest you read 2 posters ahead of me and see who quoted my post. Read my post, then read his and ask yourself...who compared him to Yao dumbass. So WTF are you punching keys for? Let me know or simply apologize to me for your error.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:28 PM   #29
VCMVP1551
NBA rookie of the year

What I like best about Hibbert is his low post scoring/passing and his shot blocking/defense. Really those are the essential things a winning center needs to be able to do. Of course rebounding is important but he is a decent rebounder and should improve that
Old 01-12-2008, 09:57 PM   #30
PK3434
Good Golly!

Quote:
I suggest you read 2 posters ahead of me and see who quoted my post. Read my post, then read his and ask yourself...who compared him to Yao dumbass. So WTF are you punching keys for? Let me know or simply apologize to me for your error.

Apology given.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: