Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 01-13-2008, 12:16 AM   #31
VCMVP1551
NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: Roy Hibbert

If Roy really gets his jumper down then he will be a very good offensive player. Wouldn't want him going beyond 15-17 feet though.
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 03:22 AM   #32
IBLEEDGREEN20
Local High School Star

that shot he hit today was crazy!
IBLEEDGREEN20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 03:40 PM   #33
VCMVP1551
NBA rookie of the year

He had a very solid game in the win over Notre Dame scoring 21 points. He really has a soft touch around the basket and some solid moves include a great hook shot. He is also an excellent passer which I think is a huge advantage for a center to be a strong passer. Maybe the most important thing is his defense though. He really seems to be a promising defender.

Last edited by VCMVP1551 : 01-19-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:26 PM   #34
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

It's Notre Dame. Even Aaron Gray/Brian Cook dominated in the same demeanor as Roy against those type of teams..
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 10:50 AM   #35
VCMVP1551
NBA rookie of the year

Yeah I know but 21 pts and 5 assists is damn good in a college game for a center. I watched the way he scored too and many of those moves will be effective against NBA players. For example he likes to post up and go across the lane for hook shot. When you are 7'2" you can get that shot off against almost anyone. He also dominated Hasheem Thabeet a few games ago and he is every bit as big as Roy and a legit NBA prospect who is known for his defense. I think the 4 years of college will really pay off for this guy because he entered college as a raw player who did nothing and now he has excellent fundamentals and he can do pretty much everything you need a center to do(Maybe he isn't dominant in any area but he can do some of everything a Center needs to do). Also when you have a big man who is a good enough passer that you can run your offense through him at times then that is a huge advantage. While he may not become a superstar like Shaq, Duncan or Hakeem I think he can easily be an all star center in the league especially with the lack of size now.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:58 PM   #36
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

I never doubt he said he wouldn't be an all-star; I already said he's the next prime Brad Miller..but I don't get fluffy over when he has a good game. He's going to still have a difficult road to get to where he needs to be. He's going to be very foul prone at the next level. He doesn't guard the pick-and-roll particularly well, and with wider lanes and the 3 second violation call he's going to need better lateral quickness to make rotations. He is very coachable and very astute student of the game, but forgive me if I don't get extremely enthused about him dominating a team like Notre Dame, who doesn't really have a guy over 6-8 that plays a good share of minutes.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:36 PM   #37
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

I could see him as a crappy version of Dikembe (Excuse the Georgetown connection). His post game works, but it's sloppy and a little goofy. He can score down there, but I doubt he's ever going to really force double teams. Dikembe's post game was similarly clumsy, and he made it work to a degree.
He's not the shot blocker Dikembe is, but he has a similar style defensively in that he occupies space, and challenges shots. Dikembe for all his blocks, wasn't really a guy who was going to fly across the lane to get blocks. He was smart, well positioned, and had good timing. Hibbert's closer to that in style than a Camby or Ty Chandler.
I've seen Hibbert up close live a few times, and he is big, really big, even by big center standards. But he doesn't have a ton of lateral movement. That's what affects his post game. He's got a soft touch with those hooks, and he'll occasionally surprise somebody with that baseline spin, but it's mostly his strength that gets him his position, and his height that lets him turn to shoot those hooks. He can be a starter in the right system. And in a down year, I think he could even sniff an All Star game, but he's not going to be a all star level, build your team around type big.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:25 AM   #38
VCMVP1551
NBA rookie of the year

He has really played much better since the last post in this thread. His passing game is second to none among college centers, his low post moves are looking great lately, he has his free throw stroke back and he's been a dominating shot blocker. He also has a nice 10-12 foot jumper. In his last 17 games he is averaging 14.9 ppg and in his last 12 games he is averaging 3.3 bpg.

Last edited by VCMVP1551 : 03-12-2008 at 03:35 AM.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:17 AM   #39
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Mid lottery pick.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:38 PM   #40
sulsuvtut27
Brook Lopez=beast!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Mid lottery pick.

is he soft for your taste GOBB?
sulsuvtut27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:08 PM   #41
GoStanford
Go Sharks!

Robin lopez is really soft and smells like pumpkin pie, so i can only imagine how soft Gobber face thinks Hibbert is. Hibbert can knock down 3's though, i guess Gobby likes that.
GoStanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:03 AM   #42
monthh
Good High School Starter

I've always thought it was harder for a true big man to play in college than any other position. You would think being 3 or 4 inches taller than the guy guarding you would help, but smaller guys are much more pesky. How many of you have played against, even one-on-one, against a guy who is more than 4 inches shorter than you? They don't play you straight up and it is just harder. I grew up with a cousin that was always a few inches shorter than me and he would just slap at the ball and stuff. I would rather play against a guy that just bodies you up when you are playing them down low.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:13 AM   #43
VCMVP1551
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by monthh
I've always thought it was harder for a true big man to play in college than any other position. You would think being 3 or 4 inches taller than the guy guarding you would help, but smaller guys are much more pesky. How many of you have played against, even one-on-one, against a guy who is more than 4 inches shorter than you? They don't play you straight up and it is just harder. I grew up with a cousin that was always a few inches shorter than me and he would just slap at the ball and stuff. I would rather play against a guy that just bodies you up when you are playing them down low.

Exactly in the NBA the only good players as tall as Roy will be Shaq, Bynum, Ilgauskas, Mutombo and Yao.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:46 AM   #44
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulsuvtut27
is he soft for your taste GOBB?

Gtown doesnt produce pumpkin pies ie p*ssies. Roy isnt soft. He'd wreck both Lopez brothers. Or in you word, rape them up the ass.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:30 PM   #45
GoStanford
Go Sharks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Gtown doesnt produce pumpkin pies ie p*ssies. Roy isnt soft. He'd wreck both Lopez brothers. Or in you word, rape them up the ass.

that's why brook is the projected #3 overall pick. Brook would embarrass Hibbert on the low block. Also, Hibbert is uglier.

GoStanford is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: