Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 01-13-2008, 03:08 AM   #16
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Default Re: Just bought a Gamecube...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
I actually didn't care for Metroid Prime much. The game has potential, but... it's like it's before its own time, or else the software guys just didn't put in enough effort. The controls are crude and clunky, and even the game itself moves way too slow.

For example, instead of holding the R button and having to move the controller around to move the camera, why didn't they just let you use the little yellow camera, so you can move and pan at the same time like the old N64 Turok games?

This is what happens when the Japanese develop a FPS style game. The Japanese generally do not play (or develop for that matter) FPS games.

Quote:
4 Swords on the other hand, was great. I was disappointed when you said you really needed 4 players and GBA's to play, but I played it just fine as a single player, and had a lot of fun trying to figure out the puzzles and how to properly move the other 3 guys around to complete puzzles. I think it would be faster with 4 guys, but it would also be frustrating, trying to anticipate what the other guys are going to do.

Glad you like it
Its a good game though some people have complained that it got tedious to switch between the different Links when playing solo. My wife and I have had good fun playing Four Swords. When playing with 2-4 players it also becomes a contest to score the highest too!
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 04:08 AM   #17
Younggrease
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic R
This is what happens when the Japanese develop a FPS style game. The Japanese generally do not play (or develop for that matter) FPS games.

Glad you like it
Its a good game though some people have complained that it got tedious to switch between the different Links when playing solo. My wife and I have had good fun playing Four Swords. When playing with 2-4 players it also becomes a contest to score the highest too!

I just borrowed Metroid Prie but didnt start it because I dont have a memory card but isnt it susposed to one of the best games ever and isnt more of a first person action adventure then has more thinking..Maybe it gets better as it goes on..I tried it for a little and do feel the controls suck.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 04:31 AM   #18
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
I just borrowed Metroid Prie but didnt start it because I dont have a memory card but isnt it susposed to one of the best games ever and isnt more of a first person action adventure then has more thinking..Maybe it gets better as it goes on..I tried it for a little and do feel the controls suck.

For a Metroid game, it ranks low, but on its own merits, Metroid Prime is a decent game though it does have some control issues. I cannot play it after playing Metroid Prime 3 on the Wii. The controls for the Wii work seamlessly on MP3. It is akin to more of an adventure game in first person, rather then a western developed FPS game.
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:53 PM   #19
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

MP3 on Wii was pretty boring. I quit about 65% into it.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:05 AM   #20
LJJ
Extra Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic R

What the hell are you talking about? Metroid Prime is developed by an American company.

Sure, Nintendo licensed it, but they didn't make it. It was made by Retro Studios: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retro_Studios

Anyway, strange you guys didn't like MP. It is regarded as one of the GOAT videogames.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:14 PM   #21
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
Anyway, strange you guys didn't like MP. It is regarded as one of the GOAT videogames.

By WHO? I'll bet the casual fan can't even name more than 2 games for gamecube that are exclusive to that system. The system itself was a huge bomb.

Look, the game has potential. If they had sped the play up and fixed the controls, it would probably have been a pretty damn good game. To be honest, the gamecube controller is a bit awkward to begin with. I have big hands, and that z button is impossible, not to mention how weird it is reaching the lower buttons.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:52 AM   #22
LJJ
Extra Cheese

Quote:
By WHO? I'll bet the casual fan can't even name more than 2 games for gamecube that are exclusive to that system. The system itself was a huge bomb.

Look, the game has potential. If they had sped the play up and fixed the controls, it would probably have been a pretty damn good game. To be honest, the gamecube controller is a bit awkward to begin with. I have big hands, and that z button is impossible, not to mention how weird it is reaching the lower buttons.

Mathius

By the press. http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrank...asp?rankings=y

A little later in the game you would have been very happy the game is not too fast. It really just takes a while getting used to, since it's just not a traditional FPS.

And the GC controller akward? The Z button is strange, the C-stick is a little of, otherwise it's more or less the 360 controller.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:24 PM   #23
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

Smash Brothers Brawl has been delayed until March
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:40 PM   #24
Mathius

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
By the press. http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrank...asp?rankings=y

A little later in the game you would have been very happy the game is not too fast. It really just takes a while getting used to, since it's just not a traditional FPS.

And the GC controller akward? The Z button is strange, the C-stick is a little of, otherwise it's more or less the 360 controller.

Are you on crack by chance? I never said it was too fast, I said it was too slow.

And comparing the GC controller to X-Box 360? Have you ever played one? The X-Box controller is bigger, and the buttons spaced out more. It's much easier to use. Besides which, that's only half the problem, like I said. The games controls weren't well thought out. I shouldn't have to stop moving and hold R, and then rotate my joystick around to look up and down. The damn controller has 2 joysticks. I should be able to keep moving with one, and use the other to pan up and down like the old Turok n64 games.

Lastly, your first mistake was listening to the press. Or do you still believe that "The News" actually reports actual news?

Mathius

Last edited by Mathius : 01-15-2008 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:19 PM   #25
Mathius

I just went to my local Gamestop to buy a memory card and browsed some games while I was there.

I didn't buy anything, but I was wondering about some of them, like Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes and Metroid Prime 2 (did they fix the problems from the first one?). There were also quite a few mario games like Mario Sunshine (which has been recommended here), but also Mario Paper, and some Wario games.

Mathius
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: