Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 01-11-2008, 12:21 PM   #1
ThyGreatOne
Decent playground baller

ThyGreatOne has decent reputation
Default [ Why Trade Odom ]

you know i have read a lot of threads/posts here in the Lakers forum and seems like the majority wanna push for a trade involving Odom, why on earth would ya'll wanna trade Odom? he is a very versitle player. can play a point forward position, can rebound, defend, score, shoot the long ball, he is a high quality player and the Lakers would drastically miss his versitility as you might see by the lack when he is out injured. i dont think trading Odom will make the Lakers any better.
ThyGreatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:43 PM   #2
hotsizzle
Superstar

hotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: [ Why Trade Odom ]

Odom has been the scapegoat for a long time now. most fans want him to be something he isnt and dont realize that what he is is good enough. its always about "odom isnt scoring much"...well thats who he is. hes an all around player gives you a little bit of everything. he scores, he rebounds, great passer and very underrated defender, but that all didnt matter because Odom wasnt scoring??? the roster itself was weak and with kobe goin off every night, odom took most of the blame for the lakers poor showings simply because he was only scoring 15-16 pts a game and not 20-22. the thing is hes not a scoring threat..he never was, never will be but he was expected to be.

dont get me wrong, if a trade for a star PF or something is available, it should definitely be looked into but Odom has never been the problem..at least not for me.

Last edited by hotsizzle : 01-11-2008 at 12:51 PM.
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:12 PM   #3
ThyGreatOne
Decent playground baller

great post i agree 100% seems everyone gets on Odom like you said! why? makes no sense, being a Suns fan i have seen very similar treatment of Shawn Marion. the Matrix is highly underrated much like your Odom is. seems every time the Suns lose we get a call for them to trade Marion, why? Diaw don't produce, trade him! its frustrating with having everyone looking to the most versatile person on the team as the 'scapegoat' as you said. why trade a guy to got that can do pretty much everything on the court, from defending, to scoring, to rebounding, you cant make up for that and all the things they do that is not recorded on the stat books.

now you said if you could get a 'star' PF you would look to trade Odom, so what would be a fair trade in your eyes for him? a J. O'Neal? as been kicked around for a while, and now i heard about P. Gasol being kicked around too. but what is thoughts?
Old 01-11-2008, 02:23 PM   #4
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Its not really hes been the scapegoat. Its just that when the Lkaers were losing the past few seasons, you have to consider change. Obvioulsy kobe was not going to go and FO was set on keeping Bynum. LO was the only player with trade value which we could possibly get a good player in return for. He does a lot, rebound, score (sometimes), pass but he also did it on an inconsistent level. Last yr when the lakers were struggling, i like LO hustle during the playoffs, but i knew we needed another piece so i would have been willing to trade him away. Now that they are winning, i dont see the need to shake things up. I would only trade LO if it makes our team better. But right now, any trade involving LO would disrupt chemistry so its not really smart to do so.
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:51 PM   #5
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

bleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

the Lakers have long needed a true 2nd scoring option to take the pressure off of Kobe down the stretch of any game...esp playoffs. Now it looks like that 2nd scoring option is truly evolving into 2nd-by-committee; i.e. Bynum, DFish, Farmar have each stepped up to fill the scoring threat.

thus, Odom can now do what he does best... a little bit of everything... without having to be a 20+pt scorer.
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:24 PM   #6
ThyGreatOne
Decent playground baller

i agree with your posts as well i think the Lakers have been a real surprise. they looked all but doomed to get into the lottery at the conclusion of last years season. then the whole 'kobe wants out' thing, man they have weathered a lot in this young season and look great. they are playing great team ball and doing a lot of things by committee! they are a joy to watch as i find myself doing at times. and the bench has really stepped it up. i still think they should welcome a trade perhaps they can get someone for the expiring contract of K. Brown? who do you think would fit the Lakers system? i mean realistically not fantasy land here. who would you trade and for what player(s) would you trade them?
Old 01-11-2008, 03:36 PM   #7
alexthegod
Local High School Star

alexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

There is such a push to trade odom because of his salary. He's a good player making allstar/superstar money (13.5 mil this year and 14.6 mil next year). Last time I checked he has never made an Allstar game and he sure isn't a superstar.

The other issues people have with Odom is his lack of consistancy and aggression on the offensive end. Overall he's an average shooter, a very good rebounder, and good finisher. He'd be a great finisher if he'd slam dunk more shots and use his right hand.

The cap is around 53 mil and the luxery tax kicks in around 60-63 mil. If your over 53 mil, you can only sign a free agent to the mid level exception, so it makes it very difficult to land an impact free agent. 13.5 mil is a lot of money to commit to good player.

Let me give you some examples of other star players and salaries for the next two seasons
Gilbert Arenas 11.9, 12.8
Andrei Kirilenko 13.7, 15
Carlos Boozer 11.6, 11.6
Chris Bosh 13.0, 14.4
Tony Parker 10.5, 11.6
Dwight Howard 6 (rookie contract), 13.0
Yao Ming 13.7, 15.0
Elton Brand 15.3, 16.4
Dwayne Wade 13.0, 14.4

These guys are difference makers, Odom is not. Like I said he's a good player but he's making superstar money.

Don't get me wrong, I like Odom the player and if salary wasn't an issue he'd be a keeper. But if you want to bring in an difference maker, Odom and his salary most likey will have to go.
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:51 PM   #8
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I never understood how someone with Odom's talent level doesn't use up all that talent. He can get to the rim a lot more, he can become a better shooter.

It's one of those things we will just have to accept. I was guilty of wanting Odom to leave, but I realized something, why doesn't anyone ever talk about the other things he brings? His long body gives him a huge defensive advantage over several guys.
Noone talks about how he's still a dominant rebound even with Bynum averaging 10 already.
Luckily for Odom, we now have other scorers that are taking loads so huge that sometimes Odom isn't involved on the offensive end.

Also I don't think its the fact that he doesn't score enough, but the fact that there are times when he should attack the rim rather than just settling for open jumpers that seemingly never fall for him.

I would say if we need a PF at this rate, we can trade for one using other underachieving players, but in the long run you're going to need Odom with the passing and other tangibles he brings to help us win a championship one of these days.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:14 PM   #9
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince

MJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
I never understood how someone with Odom's talent level doesn't use up all that talent. He can get to the rim a lot more, he can become a better shooter.

It's one of those things we will just have to accept. I was guilty of wanting Odom to leave, but I realized something, why doesn't anyone ever talk about the other things he brings? His long body gives him a huge defensive advantage over several guys.
Noone talks about how he's still a dominant rebound even with Bynum averaging 10 already.
Luckily for Odom, we now have other scorers that are taking loads so huge that sometimes Odom isn't involved on the offensive end.

Also I don't think its the fact that he doesn't score enough, but the fact that there are times when he should attack the rim rather than just settling for open jumpers that seemingly never fall for him.

I would say if we need a PF at this rate, we can trade for one using other underachieving players, but in the long run you're going to need Odom with the passing and other tangibles he brings to help us win a championship one of these days.

First of all good thread guys.
and lakerfreak I have always asked that question. I always make excuses for lamar. I think he's so good. I love the way he plays, Im guessing its just not in his blood to ball hogg or idk. It looks like it bothers LO to score.
MJ(Mean John) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:37 PM   #10
hotsizzle
Superstar

hotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak

what? do you not read my posts or my instant messages for that matter

glad you're on the pro-odom side lakerfreak. lets see how long it'll last this time:)

And I agree with the talent part, to me hes always been a top 10 talent in this league. The only thing that disappoints me about Lamar is that his numbers look pretty much the same since his rookie year and with the immense amount of talent he has, I have to question his motivation to improve and maximize that talent...hes been content with himself as a player throughout his career. A lot of players are like that actually...

Last edited by hotsizzle : 01-11-2008 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:48 PM   #11
ThyGreatOne
Decent playground baller

wow... more great posts fellas! i want to say thanks, now i didn't look at the issue of the 'contractual' situation in relation to Odom. when you look at it that way, all star money for a non all star does sound bad. and his lack of consistency and aggressiveness on the offensive end. i relate that to Boris Diaw, the Suns put what $45 mil into this cat and he is as passive as can be. not even in the regular rotation anymore, and lacks the aggressiveness that we know he has, and shown, but plays to nice if you will. but back to the Lakers, i'm a fan of basketball in general along with my alliance to the hometown Suns, yet i still enjoy good competition and great games. i look for the Lakers to possibly make a deal or two, not sure if they will trade Odom and i'm not gonna be mad if they keep him. he is a gamer and really looks good in the playoffs let me tell you, i seen him eat the Suns up 2 years in a row! but all in all i really think Odom is a great role player and a great complementary player!

Last edited by ThyGreatOne : 01-11-2008 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:54 PM   #12
hotsizzle
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThyGreatOne
wow... more great posts fellas! i want to say thanks, now i didn't look at the issue of the 'contractual' situation in relation to Odom. why you look at it that way, all star money for a non all star does sound bad. and his lack of consistency and aggressiveness on the offensive end. i relate that to Boris Diaw, the Suns put what $45 mil into this cat and he is as passive as can be. not even in the regular rotation anymore, and lacks the aggressiveness that we know he has, and shown, but plays to nice if you will. but back to the Lakers, i'm a fan of basketball in general along with my alliance to the hometown Suns, yet i still enjoy good competition and great games. i look for the Lakers to possibly make a deal or two, not sure if they will trade Odom and i'm not gonna be mad if they keep him. he is a gamer and really looks good in the playoffs let me tell you, i seen him eat the Suns up 2 years in a row! but all in all i really think Odom is a great role player and a great complementary player!

great to see fans like you and excellent posts so far. now i have a question for you

There was an Odom-Marion trade rumor in the summer? what were your thoughts..did you want it to go down?

I think laker fans were split on it. Some thought that Odom fit this team better and Marion wouldnt too well in the triangle and others thought that Marion's consistency and hustle would really help this team. how did you and phx fans view this trade? Odom on phx in that run n gun system would be a matchup nightmare.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:11 PM   #13
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
the Lakers have long needed a true 2nd scoring option to take the pressure off of Kobe down the stretch of any game...esp playoffs. Now it looks like that 2nd scoring option is truly evolving into 2nd-by-committee; i.e. Bynum, DFish, Farmar have each stepped up to fill the scoring threat.

thus, Odom can now do what he does best... a little bit of everything... without having to be a 20+pt scorer.

This is well said Mr. GM.

LO Fact: Do you all know that he never averaged 20Pts a game his entire career since playing organized sports in high school? So, important that he be able to do what he does best, not what he does not do.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:12 PM   #14
ThyGreatOne
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsizzle
great to see fans like you and excellent posts so far. now i have a question for you

There was an Odom-Marion trade rumor in the summer? what were your thoughts..did you want it to go down?

I think laker fans were split on it. Some thought that Odom fit this team better and Marion wouldnt too well in the triangle and others thought that Marion's consistency and hustle would really help this team. how did you and phx fans view this trade? Odom on phx in that run n gun system would be a matchup nightmare.
ahh the proposed Marion for Odom deal. you know initially it seemed like a lot of the fans, media, radio, all that were into the deal. personally i thought a 'healthy' Odom would fit into the Suns system really well. he's a long body that can run the floor, run the point forward if Nash needed to have a rest, he's a solid rebounder and defender, he can score, and can create his own shot. the thing with Marion is he cannot create his own shot, you have to get him open looks, where as Odom like i said can.

now i'm not mad the Suns still have Marion, i think he is tailor made for the system they run, but at the same time, if he is going to opt out then they need to get what they can out of him. i know Odom would have been another solid addition and a match up problem as you stated and if Diaw got out of his funk, along with Amare and Odom they could have been a nice little force. in all seriousness i was sold on the Odom trade and wasn't going to be mad if it went down. and i think the Suns are in a wait and see process right now. will he or wont he, Marion that being, opt out. i know the sad reality of the game no title contender will pay him the $18 mil the Suns are, and nobody will give him anything close to that extension he wanted and that was denied spawning this entire 'Marion wants out' mess.

Last edited by ThyGreatOne : 01-11-2008 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:27 PM   #15
alexthegod
Local High School Star

alexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I was and still am oppossed to an Odom - Marion swap. It's a sideways trade, neither team is going to benifit from it. Odom will play better defense and is a better post player where as Marion will score a few more points, other than that your going to get about the same thing from them.

The fact that Marion makes a little over 4 mil more a season doesnt help the Lakers for sure.

Mitch has done a great job by not making a trade just for the sake of making a trade. He's only going to make a trade that will make this team better.
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: