Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 01-11-2008, 10:02 PM   #16
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: [ Why Trade Odom ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexthegod
I was and still am oppossed to an Odom - Marion swap. It's a sideways trade, neither team is going to benifit from it. Odom will play better defense and is a better post player where as Marion will score a few more points, other than that your going to get about the same thing from them.

The fact that Marion makes a little over 4 mil more a season doesnt help the Lakers for sure.

The other point to this is the Lakers would be giving up a 4 for a 3, which is not a good idea.

I agree to those that say that LO's salary does not match his "value" to the Lakers, but the reality is that LO was part of a package the Lakers inherited as part of a deal to get rid of Shaq. LO had nothing to do with that and it was the Heat that signed him to such a high contract. I personally beleive that he would be happy to re-sign for the $8-$10M range when his current contract is up with the Lakers.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:06 PM   #17
mariodeathgrip
incoherent!!!!

mariodeathgrip is considered somewhat coolmariodeathgrip is considered somewhat coolmariodeathgrip is considered somewhat cool
Cool Re: [ Why Trade Odom ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
I never understood how someone with Odom's talent level doesn't use up all that talent. He can get to the rim a lot more, he can become a better shooter.

It's one of those things we will just have to accept. I was guilty of wanting Odom to leave, but I realized something, why doesn't anyone ever talk about the other things he brings? His long body gives him a huge defensive advantage over several guys.
Noone talks about how he's still a dominant rebound even with Bynum averaging 10 already.
Luckily for Odom, we now have other scorers that are taking loads so huge that sometimes Odom isn't involved on the offensive end.

Also I don't think its the fact that he doesn't score enough, but the fact that there are times when he should attack the rim rather than just settling for open jumpers that seemingly never fall for him.

I would say if we need a PF at this rate, we can trade for one using other underachieving players, but in the long run you're going to need Odom with the passing and other tangibles he brings to help us win a championship one of these days.

100% agree!!!!
Once again I got to say!!! I think the best of Odom!!! I still believe he was meant to be a #1 option!!!!

Why trade Odom $ !!!! He's over paid!!!! But then again if we extend his contract for less we not consider if not then we should consider a trade!!!

The things I hated about Odom in the past was his bad shot selections!!! Like jacking up those three's in crucial moments in games!!!!!! Also at times disappearing from games!!! Mostly be camping out side the three point line!!!!

But Odom's is a Over-All talent!!! With a-lot of potential!!! Give him his own team and he will perform at all-star level!!!!
mariodeathgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:59 PM   #18
apeman222
i know the muffin man.

apeman222 has an OK reputation so far

we shouldn't do a damn thing to this team....unless it involves moving kwame for something better, then just stay put.

there's something to be said about team chemistry, and right now, we clearly have it....im begining to really like this team alot....they've been together a few years now and are playing well.

keep odom, and anyone who doesn't consider him a "difference maker" clearly doesn't watch enough laker basketball.

go lakers! stay strong! beat the bucks!
apeman222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:33 PM   #19
Robster89
Serious playground baller

Robster89 has decent reputationRobster89 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeman222
we shouldn't do a damn thing to this team....unless it involves moving kwame for something better, then just stay put.

there's something to be said about team chemistry, and right now, we clearly have it....im begining to really like this team alot....they've been together a few years now and are playing well.

keep odom, and anyone who doesn't consider him a "difference maker" clearly doesn't watch enough laker basketball.

Great thread guys, and nice to have a guy from another forum come in and contribute a great thread.
I think everybody has brought up some great points.
And I totally agree with Apeman, I would not mess with our chemistry right now, unless a minor (Kwame, Vlad etc) tweak was possible.

I think most of us,myself included, saw LO as the major piece of the Shaq trade, and we expected LO to be Robin to Kobe's Batman. We all expected him to be a 20 pt per game guy, and it never happened. And, as Alex points out, LO makes big coin, which just strengthened the idea that he needed to become a big star. But scoring 20+was never his game. Right now, we're winning because others have stepped up (Bynum, Fish, the bench), and LO can and is doing what he does best. Basically, everything. He's a great defensive rebounder, he scores 15 a night, plays solid team D, passes well etc. Bleeding made this point well.

Right now, I think he's like the glue holding this team together, and there are very few players I'd entertain trading him for.
And Socal is right, Miami signed him to this deal, and if we are able to extend him in the 8-10 range, he becomes a steal at that price.
And I like him at the 4 with Bynum becomming so potentially dominant.
He's great on the defensive boards, and doen't get in Bynum's way in the paint on offense. He is super athletic, and can run the floor like a deer, making us an up tempo team. The one thing I'd like to see out of him is becomming a better man on man defender, something Marion is great at. But I see LO making strides here, so maybe if he's able to play "his" game, he'll develope this as a strength as well.

And I think a JO/LO trade would make us slower and less athletic than we are now, so it wouldn't interest me, plus I don't see Dr Buss taking on that horrible contract.

The fact is that the year LO's deal expires, the Lakers are scheduled to be well under the cap as LO's deal comes off, so we'll have a lot of options on how to move forward. Coincidently, there a bunch of great PF's as potential FA's that year, so we could have our pick (and the money to sign) from among Boozer, Okafor, Sheed, Wilcox, Marion, Brand and several others, OR decide to resign LO. So our options are many. It's a good position to be in.
Robster89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:50 PM   #20
brandonislegend
Old School Cool

brandonislegend is a pretty well-respected posterbrandonislegend is a pretty well-respected posterbrandonislegend is a pretty well-respected poster

i agree, if we trade odom watch the lakers start to play terrible.
brandonislegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 04:27 PM   #21
LA.MJ&KB#1
Good college starter

LA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation here

I don't know if I'm happy about LO because we are winning now or what. But, this guy has been there in the trenching for you like playing when hurt and not making any exuses like most players would. If any trade needs to be done I say get rid of Kwanme, Radman.
LA.MJ&KB#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:28 PM   #22
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince

MJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeman222

First of all. Lets get things straight. Lamar is a LAKER. Plain and simple. Would lamar ever ask for a trade? Complain about a coach(Phil)? Teamates not making shots?(Kwame, etc after lo's beatiful passes) play hurt?YES Play when his son died?YES, was it his fault that he got signed to that deal? Did he say when he joined the lakers "Trade me to LA, Im going to be a 20 point guy" No.
Lamar is who lamar is. Honestly there arent many guys that I would have over lamar.

(As stated before)Lamar is this team's glue. I feel lamar represents what a Laker is and supposed to be, along with Dfish.
I feel all we need to do is let him get his healthy offseason so he can improve his game.

And Apeman... This team NEEDS KWAME. PERIOD. If we were to trade him we would only have mihm as our back up. He will come in handy when playoff time comes.
MJ(Mean John) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:42 PM   #23
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ(Mean John)
First of all. Lets get things straight. Lamar is a LAKER. Plain and simple. Would lamar ever ask for a trade? Complain about a coach(Phil)? Teamates not making shots?(Kwame, etc after lo's beatiful passes) play hurt?YES Play when his son died?YES, was it his fault that he got signed to that deal? Did he say when he joined the lakers "Trade me to LA, Im going to be a 20 point guy" No.
Lamar is who lamar is. Honestly there arent many guys that I would have over lamar.

(As stated before)Lamar is this team's glue. I feel lamar represents what a Laker is and supposed to be, along with Dfish.
I feel all we need to do is let him get his healthy offseason so he can improve his game.

And Apeman... This team NEEDS KWAME. PERIOD. If we were to trade him we would only have mihm as our back up. He will come in handy when playoff time comes.

Right on!

I definitely could not have said this better!

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:03 PM   #24
ThyGreatOne
Decent playground baller

ThyGreatOne has decent reputation

hey first off thanks everyone involved just for entertaining the thread of a fan of another team. now i agree 100% with what a lot of you said and for a lot of your reasoning is what made me like the idea of Odom coming to the Suns even if it meant giving up Marion. i think Odom is underrated in some ways and he uses that to his advantage on the court. the guy can ball, and i never heard him complain, argue, or fight with teammates, about shots, or lack there of. far as i know he has always been a total professional and team player.

i honestly took a look at yall's wins thus far and you have beat or stayed close to all the powers in the West. beat the Hornet, Spurs, Jazz, Suns, even the Pistons. yall had and have been very good at stringing the wins together and even being a Suns fan i have always kept an eye on the Lakers and like to see how they are doing. the team chemistry and way guys are filling their roles has been very fun to watch. the Lakers seemed down and out over the summer and now are up and coming. I also like the fact Bynum is getting his, i been telling people since he was drafted he was going to be a force, and i got laughed at... who's laughing now? that dude is a beast for yall.

i think the Lakers been making good moves lately maybe not the most popular but wow they got a winning team, kept Kobe who seems happy now, and they didn’t give up Bynum. having traded him would resulted in a disaster, a good solid Center is not easy to come by in today’s NBA and i commend the Lakers for maximizing and getting the most out of the players they have.

i think the Lakers if possible should look to dump K.Brown, but then again he's a free agent after the season anyway right? so its not gonna hurt to have another big body backing up Bynum. now V.Rad, what's up with him? he was ballin a few years back, but don't seem to ball for the Lakers, possibly they can work a deal as many of you suggested, thing is his contract is not that attractive with the lack of production.

Last edited by ThyGreatOne : 01-14-2008 at 02:10 PM.
ThyGreatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:20 PM   #25
alexthegod
Local High School Star

alexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Good input everyone. the sad thing about todays NBA is that is a business and you have to be able to separate that fact. There were a couple people who said it wasnt his fault he had the big contract....actually it is.

He was a restricted free agent with the Clippers and he signed this big contract with Miami that included an increase in salary should he get traded. I also belive he got a bulk of the contract money upfront. Miami made his contract as unappealing as possible to the Clips so they would not match and they did not. He could have resigned with the Clips for one more year and become an unrestriced free agent, he could have signed long term with the clips, he could have signed a contract with ANY team with the Clips getting a chance to match, but he CHOSE the contract with Miami.

Furthermore under the NBA collective bargining agreement players are not allowed to renegotiate their contracts and they are guaranteed.

As we all know Odom got traded to the Lakers and 'bump' the trade kicker was triggered and his alreaday high salary got bumped up even more. So now he's making allstar/superstar money and is not playing like an allstar/superstar. Furthermore because of his large salary, they most likey cant get under the cap keeping both he and Kobe on the same roster due to contract sizes.

So here we are at the player/business crossroads. I like Odom the player and if there were no contracts or cap numbers to worry about, he's a great fit. But the reality is that he is never going to be a #2 option and he is getting paid like a #1 or #2 option and we are still over the cap. Even with Kwames contract expiring we are a little over the cap. Next season we're going to have to give a big contract to Andrew Bynum and then we will have 3 large salaries to deal with. If this group can't win as is how do we free up money to get an impact player? Free up money. And what large salary to you purge to do that? Kobe? Bynum? nope, its Odom unfortunately.

From a BUSINESS perspective they need to trade him to bring in a allstar/superstar. From a BUSINESS perspective they have to build this team around Kobe and Bynum and everyone else becomes expendable. I HATE the business side, but its the NBA today
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:27 PM   #26
alexthegod
Local High School Star

alexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

ThyGreatOne, you made a great point that the Lakers front office has been making good moves and most definately not the most popular ones lol.

Everyone Demanded J'Oneil, Garnett, and Kidd. It would have been a disaster to trade for Oneil or Kidd. I'm convinced they tried to get Garnett but where not going to give up the farm for him.

They made the right call keeping Bynum and THAT is the best move Kupchak has made in his career.

Not trading for Kidd and Oneil are also great non-moves lol.

He's build a solid young team recovering from the Shaq and Kwame trade blunders.
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: