Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 01-12-2008, 10:35 AM   #1
magicmanfan
Local High School Star

magicmanfan is a pretty well-respected postermagicmanfan is a pretty well-respected postermagicmanfan is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Lakers fans: answer this for me please!!!

Why should we keep Kwame Brown?

I have been one to constantly suggest trading him because
I hate his stone hands. I read some of the other thread on why
trade LO7..... I have suggested some trades that included these
two (e.g., Kwame and LO7 for JO), but I was trying to move
Kwame more than LO7. LO7 is the good player the other team
gets and Kwame is the expiring contract.

I really want to know why we should keep Kwame. I would be
happy to see him walk next summer. I would not resign him for
more than about $2-3 mil. He's an end of the bench guy you
use when in deep foul trouble or when you need a huge body
(against Yao).

Please explain the contribution this guy makes to our team. I see
him as a good defensive player, but a real problem on O.

I think we can do much better with that money...........
magicmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 11:24 AM   #2
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Lakers fans: answer this for me please!!!

You ask a fair question, and I will offer my opinion:

Kwame's value to the Lakers is mostly in the defensive area. He can take on bigs very well and with him as a backup, he and Bynum make a very viable core of bigs at the 5. Finally, Kwame, despite some dumb things he does offensively, does generally know his role in the Triangle, which is significant.

That being said, it is tempting to float his expiring contract around to see what it can get. Problem is that his contract alone is not enough to get anyone that could make a difference.

If he re-signs with the Lakers, he will definitely get a pay cut. I can't see any team signing him for more, given his injury record as well as his inconsistent play offensively.

So, the key would be what could Kwame's expiring contract (as part of a package) yield in return that could actually make a difference to the Lakers as they march toward the playoffs.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:51 PM   #3
Lakers13
Reload Time

Lakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation here

Im kinda of a Kwame hater because hes a huge underachiever,but he does know his role with us and His D has been sorely missed, I kinda think the Lakers should stand pat. I could only see trading him and maybe Vlad/Sasha for a PF/C who can also play defense but can score too. We would lose depth at the Center position too with Mihm injured.
Lakers13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:55 PM   #4
Laker Magic 32
Kids at the park dunk on me

Laker Magic 32 has an OK reputation so far

Everyone looks at his offense skills, but we keep him for the defense which is key. It bothers me the way he finishes plays by just flicking the ball at the rim. A little more aggression to get the contact and dunk the ball.

But I gotta say, he is trying and you can see that out on the court. He's just trying too hard, ie. the steal and fastbreak and errand pass last night. His FT form has improved greatly...the results are slightly better, but if he continues his new form then i can see him being 70% from the foul line.

Keep in mind one thing, right now there isn't anyone out there. I would rather keep him and give him a small contract. We'll free up some cap room for a MLE during the offseason...if we continue the way we're going then expect players to come to LA (doesn't JO's contract expire this year?)
Laker Magic 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:49 PM   #5
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker Magic 32
Everyone looks at his offense skills, but we keep him for the defense which is key. It bothers me the way he finishes plays by just flicking the ball at the rim. A little more aggression to get the contact and dunk the ball.

But I gotta say, he is trying and you can see that out on the court. He's just trying too hard, ie. the steal and fastbreak and errand pass last night. His FT form has improved greatly...the results are slightly better, but if he continues his new form then i can see him being 70% from the foul line.

Keep in mind one thing, right now there isn't anyone out there. I would rather keep him and give him a small contract. We'll free up some cap room for a MLE during the offseason...if we continue the way we're going then expect players to come to LA (doesn't JO's contract expire this year?)

Good point.. it would be nice for the Lakers to come back from the dead as an organization and have players actually wanting to come to LA.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 03:39 AM   #6
lakers_fan4life
Serious playground baller

lakers_fan4life has decent reputation

NO NO NO NO the true question is why should we keep chris mihm hahahahahahah I HATE THAT MAN
lakers_fan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 02:09 PM   #7
LA.MJ&KB#1
Good college starter

LA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakers_fan4life
NO NO NO NO the true question is why should we keep chris mihm hahahahahahah I HATE THAT MAN
Well said lakers_fan4life well said. Brown is not the problem I say sign him for 3 to 5 mil and send Mihm on his way.
LA.MJ&KB#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 02:18 PM   #8
magicmanfan
Local High School Star

magicmanfan is a pretty well-respected postermagicmanfan is a pretty well-respected postermagicmanfan is a pretty well-respected poster

BUT:

This latest winning streak was primarily done with Kwame hurt.....

We can play very well without him, and do so..... Mihm did not help
us much either during this stretch.....

I think Kwame instantly becomes the weakest link on the team as soon
as he gets in the game....

He does appear to be trying hard. That's not it. His "disappointment"
factor is a world record. No one out there that has the physical ability
he has but no connection with his brain!!! I cannot stand another
blown layup...another fumbled pass....another bad decision.....

I think we are better of without him.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:22 PM   #9
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

crisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

We need big guys.
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 02:25 PM   #10
magicmanfan
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisoner
We need big guys.

Yes we do. But the triangle requires a dominant low post player
to start the whole motion thing going.....

Drew is learning this role, but we could improve dramatically by
adding a PF with a solid low post game.....

So trade Kwame and maybe LO7 for who?
Or trade Kwame and ??????????? for who?

That's my suggestion.....
Old 01-13-2008, 06:20 PM   #11
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

bleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Keep Kwame as the backup center at a greatly reduced pay. He becomes unrestricted and he will have to take a big pay cut no matter where he goes.
We will bring solid defense off the bench.

Only trade him prior to the deadline if:
a. our FO feels like they will lose him in the offseason for nothing;
and/or
b. we can get someone VERY solid via a trade (which I don't see out there right now).
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 07:53 PM   #12
apeman222
i know the muffin man.

apeman222 has an OK reputation so far

so he can keep bynum from beating up kobe...just watch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jcnof...eature=related
apeman222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:12 AM   #13
Erathia
Local High School Star

Erathia is popular on this boardErathia is popular on this boardErathia is popular on this boardErathia is popular on this board

Kwame Brown is the best option as a backup PF/C to the Lakers. He brings an exceptional defensive presence that is hard to find in a big man. He's a good man-to-man defender and he rotates very well. People say that he his "brain isn't connected to his body" but you are dead wrong. Kwame Brown for all his size has EXTREMELY small hands. He can not even palm the ball (they showed this a couple months back on LTV pregrame).

The blown lay ups and easy shots down low are do to a lack of aggression. As Stu Lance says, he flicks it up when he should throw it down. That is a mind set thing (same thing many of us complain about in LO).

Why not to trade him? How about who to trade him for? There aren't many people out there that are plausible trade ideas and bring a presence to the 4/5 in the triangle. He compliments Bynum's play very well and (in his reduced roll off the bench) is playing pretty well right now.
Erathia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:22 AM   #14
magicmanfan
Local High School Star

I appreciate Kwame's defensive game....

But last night against MEM....Drew got hurt and Kwame stepped
in....We looked like a mediocre team with no inside game at all.
Kwame hurts us on the offensive end. We cannot use him in the
post for many previously stated reasons....

With Drew playing the post, we look like a much better team in
every way. Much of our success this year should go to Bynum.
I also think Fish and Kobe have been great team leaders this
year......

I still think we are better without Kwame.....he's a weak link!
And yes I do know we need more than one center.......I hope
we can find an upgrade.....
Old 01-14-2008, 04:37 PM   #15
alexthegod
Local High School Star

alexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Erathia answered this question pretty well except for one thing....Kwames lack of offense isn't from his small hands and lack of aggression, he just has no offense game and never will. When you talk small hands, Elden Campbell comes to mind and he was a pretty decent offense player.

I've never seen a more inept big man around the basket than Kwame brown. For such a physically and athelticlly gifted guy, it just doesn't make sense. Thats why he has frustrated every team and fan group he has been around in the NBA. Did anyone see that one foot shot that went over the backboard the other game???? are you kidding me!!! Like Stu says, a million dollar move followed by a nickel finish lol! I miss Chicy baby! He'd have so much fun with Kwame :)

Having said all that, he still is a good enough defender at the 5 position that the Lakers can not afford to trade him this season. You can only trade him if you bring back a solid backup center.

Magicmanfan, your right that they have played well recently when Kwame was injured, but that was short term. In the long run for this season, Brown is the best option backing up the 5 with Turiaf for depth. Remeber earlier this season when Drew could not stay out of foul trouble and Mihm was forced into extended time on the floor? Not having Brown for that stretch hurt.

I don't expect the Lakers to make much of an attempt if any to resign him as he will most likey get higher offers elsewhere. Big guys get overpaid no matter how bad they are lol.

The Lakers can probably get a replacement for Kwame at a much more reasonable price.

As frustrating as he is, the Lakers need him for this season.
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: