Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 01-17-2008, 03:23 PM   #1
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

Default Suns talking trade for Kirilenko, Odom, or Gasol?

On Yahoo Sports...

Quote:

[Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 1:08 pm EST]

According to Sports Illustrated's Marty Burns, writing Wednesday on SI.com under the headline "Break up the band?/Chemistry concerns could spur the Suns into action," the Phoenix Suns have "had internal discussions about Utah Jazz forward Andrei Kirilenko, the Los Angeles Lakers' Lamar Odom and the Memphis Grizzlies' Pau Gasol, according to a source."

The source was not identified.

"But," Burns wrote, "the Suns might not want to help the rival Lakers, while the Jazz and Grizzlies would be reluctant to take Shawn Marion without a strong indication that he would re-sign with them."
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:36 PM   #2
apeman222
i know the muffin man.

Default Re: Suns talking trade for Kirilenko, Odom, or Gasol?

trading odom is a huge mistake....especially to someone like the suns...

f*ck that....keep him....we're doing well as a TEAM right now....why screw that up with a trade?

last time i checked, we're numero uno in the western conference...
apeman222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:51 PM   #3
Laker Magic 32
Kids at the park dunk on me

Well Hell...if they want him that bad, then let's combo Odom + Kwame or Marion, Skinner and their First Round Draft pick form Atlanta (its unprotected)...this seems like a rich draft and I would love to see LOVE on this team. He'll fit in well at the 4
Laker Magic 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:35 PM   #4
apeman222
i know the muffin man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker Magic 32
this seems like a rich draft and I would love to see LOVE on this team. He'll fit in well at the 4

im a huge ucla fan.....but im not sure love's game is going to translate to the nba....i hope he proves me wrong though....
apeman222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:44 PM   #5
Lakers_Kobe_Fan
NBA sixth man of the year

If they want the trade ..lets trade odom, radman, 2 1st rounders for Amare
Lakers_Kobe_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:47 PM   #6
Laker Magic 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeman222
im a huge ucla fan.....but im not sure love's game is going to translate to the nba....i hope he proves me wrong though....

I hear where you're coming from and i have the same concerns too, but he's going to be able to rebound and pass in the next level. The rest is still an uncertainty
Old 01-17-2008, 05:13 PM   #7
alexthegod
Local High School Star

The only way that makes any sense is if they are trading Marion in any of those deals. They would get about 3 mil in cap relief (which = 6 mil since they are over the tax limit) It would be swaping out Marion for a lesser salary basicly. I doubt any of those teams are interested in Marion and his big Salary for any of those guys. They would probably have to add extra pieces and/or picks. It's not out of the question they would send out their first round pick with Marion to save money. They've had a tract record of dumping draft picks already.

From the Lakers standpoint, even if you think Marion is a better player than Odom is he really going to be that much better? It's pretty much a sideways deal. It won't be the trade that pushes the Lakers over the top and so I will go out on a limb and say its not gonna happen :)
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:36 PM   #8
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

What is wrong with everyone????

We're talking about Shawn Marion, an all-star that averages 18-20 every season as a third option!

We need someone like Marion especially when Odom doesn't score when we need him to. Must I bring up Odom's horrible game against seattle? 6 points on 3/15 shooting. Marion is a lot more aggressive offensively.

Marion would cut to the basket the same exact way Caron Butler did on this team and Kobe loved butler so much. Also is the same type of player as Ariza whos fitting in without a freakin jumpshot for crying out loud.

I say that if we sign webber, we should trade Odom for Marion.

Fisher - Bryant - Marion - Webber - Bynum
Farmar - Javaris - Ariza - Turiaf - Kwame

Thats a really good team.

Why can't anyone understand that Odom will always underachieve because his will NOT to score? He won't make Phoenix contenders. Marion is always selected as an all-star over Odom because Marion simply maximizes his talents every night

Im surprised phoenix is interested in Odom at all. We'll be so lucky to get marion. The player that is NEVER injured, always puts up good numbers. Plays excellent defense.

I rest my case. (until someone says something stupid)
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:09 PM   #9
m1sterb
Great young streetballer

At some time I recall Odom wanting to have more of a scorer role and PJax didn't want that out of him. I think it was an after game interview and Odom mentioned that.
m1sterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:29 PM   #10
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1sterb
At some time I recall Odom wanting to have more of a scorer role and PJax didn't want that out of him. I think it was an after game interview and Odom mentioned that.

When Odom said "I'm going to average 20 points the next 4 games" and Phil said "we want him to do his Job in the triangle" Which is stupid of Phil because now he basically shut Odom off.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:49 PM   #11
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
What is wrong with everyone????

We're talking about Shawn Marion, an all-star that averages 18-20 every season as a third option!

We need someone like Marion especially when Odom doesn't score when we need him to. Must I bring up Odom's horrible game against seattle? 6 points on 3/15 shooting. Marion is a lot more aggressive offensively.

Marion would cut to the basket the same exact way Caron Butler did on this team and Kobe loved butler so much. Also is the same type of player as Ariza whos fitting in without a freakin jumpshot for crying out loud.

I say that if we sign webber, we should trade Odom for Marion.

Fisher - Bryant - Marion - Webber - Bynum
Farmar - Javaris - Ariza - Turiaf - Kwame

Thats a really good team.

Why can't anyone understand that Odom will always underachieve because his will NOT to score? He won't make Phoenix contenders. Marion is always selected as an all-star over Odom because Marion simply maximizes his talents every night

Im surprised phoenix is interested in Odom at all. We'll be so lucky to get marion. The player that is NEVER injured, always puts up good numbers. Plays excellent defense.

I rest my case. (until someone says something stupid)

I hope I'm not going to say "something stupid" lol

Let think for a second. When you have great players a big reason why you have these players on a team is so that
(a)They help you win games
(b)They help you lead your team to the playoffs
(c)They upgrade their play in the playoffs

Here is my point. Has lamar punked Marion in the past?? during the playoffs?
Would lamar tear it up in a suns uniform? a fastbreak offense in which he would get consistent shot attempts which the majority would happen to be lay ups, open shots etc.?

I'm pretty sure that if lamar was on the suns, as THIRD option, he would get his 20 points. However I strongly disagree that the matrix is better than our friend LO. Why? let me tell you why. What makes Marion so good? His ball handling? His shooting? cross over? playmaking? oh wait I know his 3 point shooting?
NOPE.
It is his hustle. People can argue that he is a good defender and I'm not saying he isnt. But answer me this question. If he was so much better than odom, and such a great defender, then why couldn't he stop odom in the playoff back to back years? Why doesn't he bring it in the playoffs? Im just asking.

Back to what makes Marion so good. Running the floor. Making easy open shots, lay ups, and put backs. What else? making plays? I dont think so. All he does is pass the ball within the offense and gets EASY buckets and put backs. Thats it. Once and a while an open 3. But if he cant stop Odom, (A player that he is OBVIOUSLY better than, and who isn't a scorer) so then we must be getting him for his offense right? Do you guys really think he is going to play like that in the triangle? Bring his 20 points to the lakers? I dont think so. Although I am sure that if he came to the lakers he would bring atleast 15 points with him. But lets not forget that stats arent everything. He wouldnt have as much of an impact as lamar. Lamar is a much better shooter, play maker, passer, ball handler, and has more moves in the post. All marion has is that little bit of hustle that makes him good.

When has lamar had a healty off season??? whens the last time that he was actually healthy and was able to work on and improve his game? Because last I checked, I couldnt. A big reason why, is Lamar plays for us even when he is injured. Dont trade him for Marion(A guy who says he doesnt get enough credit and isnt getting paid enough)

I would take Odom, regardless of that off night in seatle
MJ(Mean John) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:00 PM   #12
Laker Magic 32

If you want to really evaluate a player for their fit in a "Championship" caliber team, look at their numbers in the playoffs.

Has Marion outperformed Lamar in the playoffs? If you do the research, you'll quickly steer away from Marion
Old 01-17-2008, 07:10 PM   #13
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Sorry, but I'd still take Marion. We can't afford to have Odom only bring it during the playoffs only. He costs us way too much in the regular season.

By the way all that stuff you said about playmaking, making easy shots, crossovers....Odom still doesn't do any of that.

Let me tell you what Odom is good at:
Missing layups
Missing open jumpers
Slowing down the offense with stupid decisions
Never passes the ball to the center
Never cuts after passing

He doesn't do anything right. Sorry. He can rebound and hide in an offense.

Odom is not a good triangle player. He's better off in pheonix where he can pass and help rebound, but he isn't going to score there.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:25 PM   #14
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

Marion CANNOT play the PF position in the West unless it is in a run-and-gun system like the Suns. He CANNOT guard Duncan, Brand, Boozer, etc.

So, if we get him, Turiaf moves to PF (unless we sign someone else) and Luke moves to the bench, giving us both Luke and Ariza off the bench at the SF spot.

Of course, Marion can play PF when we go small-ball, but we don't play small-ball against the defending champions...nor against the Jazz amongst others.
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:38 PM   #15
kobedaman24
its ours nxt year LA09

Defense wins championships people..

DEFENSE DEFENSE

Kirilenko/pick for Odom straight up..
kobedaman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: