Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 08-02-2006, 09:41 AM   #1
cyco127
Local High School Star

cyco127 has an OK reputation so far
Default NWest Division Depth Charts

Ok, try not to be too much of a homer and tell me who you think looks the best 'on paper'...

DENVER NUGGETS
STARTERS- KEY BENCH -MORE BENCH
PG Andre Miller- Earl Boykins
SG Ruben Patterson- JR Smith- Julius Hodge
SF Carmelo Anthony -Ed Najera
PF Kenyon Martin- Linus Kleiza
C Marcus Camby -Nene- J.Sampson

MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES
STARTERS -KEY BENCH -MORE BENCH
PG Mike James- Marko Jaric- Troy Hudson
SG Randy Foye -Rashad McCants
SF Ricky Davis- Trenton Hassell
PF Kevin Garnett- Eddie Griffin
C Mark Blount -Mark Madsen

PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS
PG Jarrett Jack- Dan Dickau -SRodriguez
SG Brandon Roy -Martell Webster -Juan Dixon
SF Darius Miles -Travis Outlaw
PF Zach Randolph- Raef LaFrentz
C Joel Przybilla- Jamaal Magloire- L. Aldridge

SEATTLE SONICS
STARTERS -KEY BENCH- MORE BENCH
PG Luke Ridnour- Earl Watson
SG Ray Allen- Damien Wilkins
SF Rashard Lewis -Mike Gelabale
PF Chris Wilcox? -Nick Collison- Dan.Fortson
C Johan Petro- Robert Swift- Saer Sene

UTAH JAZZ
STARTERS- KEY BENCH- MORE BENCH
PG Deron Williams- Derek Fisher
SG Gordan Giricek -Ronnie Brewer- CJ Miles
SF Andrei Kirilenko- Matt Harpring
PF Carlos Boozer- Jarron Collins- Paul Millsap
C Mehmet Okur- Rafael Araujo
cyco127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:43 AM   #2
cyco127
Local High School Star

Oohh, I forgot that the nugz might land Bonzi... I pick them as the best on paper. I'm still not sure they have the best chemistry though. Anyway, Go Jazz!!!
Old 08-02-2006, 12:37 PM   #3
lowblok
High School Varsity 6th Man

lowblok has an OK reputation so far

I see alot of shotblocking centres on those rosters. Wheres that seven footer the JAZZ need for the bench? Is there any out there?
lowblok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 03:51 PM   #4
Bricklayer
Decent playground baller

Bricklayer has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyco127
Ok, try not to be too much of a homer and tell me who you think looks the best 'on paper'...

DENVER NUGGETS
STARTERS- KEY BENCH -MORE BENCH
PG Andre Miller- Earl Boykins
SG Ruben Patterson- JR Smith- Julius Hodge
SF Carmelo Anthony -Ed Najera
PF Kenyon Martin- Linus Kleiza
C Marcus Camby -Nene- J.Sampson

MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES
PG Mike James- Marko Jaric- Troy Hudson
SG Randy Foye -Rashad McCants
SF Ricky Davis- Trenton Hassell
PF Kevin Garnett- Eddie Griffin
C Mark Blount -Mark Madsen

PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS
PG Jarrett Jack- Dan Dickau -SRodriguez
SG Brandon Roy -Martell Webster -Juan Dixon
SF Darius Miles -Travis Outlaw
PF Zach Randolph- Raef LaFrentz
C Joel Przybilla- Jamaal Magloire- L. Aldridge

SEATTLE SONICS
STARTERS -KEY BENCH- MORE BENCH
PG Luke Ridnour- Earl Watson
SG Ray Allen- Damien Wilkins
SF Rashard Lewis -Mike Gelabale
PF Chris Wilcox? -Nick Collison- Dan.Fortson
C Johan Petro- Robert Swift- Saer Sene

UTAH JAZZ
STARTERS- KEY BENCH- MORE BENCH
PG Deron Williams- Derek Fisher
SG Gordan Giricek -Ronnie Brewer- CJ Miles
SF Andrei Kirilenko- Matt Harpring
PF Carlos Boozer- Jarron Collins- Paul Millsap
C Mehmet Okur- Rafael Araujo

Here's my take...

DENVER NUGGETS -
If Coach Karl switches to the fast-paced approach he intends to, this team revolves around Andre Miller's ability to adapt to it. Miller has been known for being notoriously slow, but with sprinters like JR Smith, K-Mart, Camby, and even Patterson, Miller should be able to make up-the-court transition passes all day long. Carmelo's variety of tricks are better suited for the halfcourt set-up tho, so the Nuggets better hope he can switch to a fast-break style as well, or they may effectively take their #1 scorer out of the picture. The bench has some solid role players. Boykins will thrive in a fast-paced environment and continue to provide his dependable play as their go-to 6th man. Najera and Kleiza are both the dirty-work players every team needs and Nene should have a better season if he can consistently stay healthy (his contract says the Nuggets are banking on it).

MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES -
On paper, this team should be the most improved of the bunch. They have a potential monster starting lineup with Randy Foye and Mike James teaming up in the backcourt. Foye is the X-factor - if he puts up points like he showed he's capable of in last month's summer league, we're probably looking at the Rookie of the Year. His play could very well determine whether Garnett deems it worthy to stay in the future. James is a scoring point guard who will ease Wolves fans' memories of losing Cassell over a season ago. This team is also built to run, which makes Blount a question mark... would it be better to turn Garnett into a center (a la Amare Stoudemire) and bring in Griffin at PF? Hassell, Griffin and Madsen are the team's defensive workhorses but besides McCants, the bench is lacking for offensive production. Jaric will be a nice change-of-pace point behind Mike James.

PORTLAND TRAILBLAZERS -
The up-and-comers. NINE players on the roster have just 4 years of experience or less. Seven with 3 years or less. This team is definitely planning for the future, but their young talent is so promising, it wouldn't be surprising to see them band together quickly and make some noise this season. Brandon Roy should be a regular starter soon if not right away. He and Jarrett Jack will make a nice playmaking duo. I personally think Magloire should come in and start right over Pryzbilla. Darius Miles should hope to stay because this team could really cater to his style. Both Jack and Roy are unselfish players who would look for Miles to finish on the fastbreak. A bench featuring Dickau, Webster, Aldridge, LaFrentz, and Pryzbilla could be a starting lineup for some teams. Well, the Hawks anyway. After last season's fiasco, the Blazers have nowhere to go but up.

SEATTLE SONICS -
This squad has a ton of athleticism, so there's no reason they can't return to the Sonics of two seasons ago when they won 52 games. Luke Ridnour is a proven floor general whose value was justified when he was selected to represent Team USA. He should only get better as his confidence continues to grow. Ray Allen had a bit of a drop-off last year in his shooting but should bounce back like all great players do. Wilcox would do himself a favor by staying and giving himself a longer chance to assimilate with the team. He and Rashard Lewis make a great inside-outside frontcourt tandem. The center spot is up in the air with the 3-headed 7-foot projects looming before them. Saer Sene played very nicely in Salt Lake and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up starting by season's end. He reminds me of a young Dikembe Mutombo with a greater potential for offense. The bench is weak spot, but also very athletic. Damien Wilkins has shown flashes of his uncle's highlight reel and Mickael Gelabele was supposedly France's version of "His Airness." The bench could make or break this team.

UTAH JAZZ -
And lastly, but certainly not least, our homeboys. The Jazz could easily take tops in the division if they all buy into Sloan's system and stay healthy. I predict Deron Williams will have a break-out season and average somewhere in the vicinity of 15 and 8 assists. He has made goals for himself to be an all-star within 3 years. The Jazz certainly hope he's serious. When Boozer returned to the court, things really started clicking for D-Will because it opened up the outside and brought back the pick-and-roll - a technique that worked so well for another PG/PF duo we know. I think Okur will have a season similar to last year's but probably with no real improvement. His numbers declined slightly with Boozer's return, but they're still solid numbers. Newcomers Derek Fisher and Ronnie Brewer will provide much needed 3-point shooting and athleticism. And Matt Harpring and Jarron Collins' return rounding out the bench gives Utah the deepest team in the Northwest.
Bricklayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 03:59 PM   #5
Bricklayer
Decent playground baller

Oh yeah - here's how i predict they finish...

1) Utah Jazz
2) Denver Nuggets
3) Minnesota T-Wolves
4) Seattle Sonics
5) Portland Blazers
Old 08-02-2006, 04:03 PM   #6
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Hassell, Griffin and Madsen are the team's defensive workhorses

Eddie Griffin is absolutely, 100&, positively, unarguably, unquestionably, not a defensive work horse.

My prediction for how they finish:

1. Minnesota Timberwolves
2. Utah Jazz
3. Denver Nuggets
4. Seattle Supersonics
5. Portland Trailblazers
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 04:22 PM   #7
Bricklayer
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
Eddie Griffin is absolutely, 100&, positively, unarguably, unquestionably, not a defensive work horse.

My prediction for how they finish:

1. Minnesota Timberwolves
2. Utah Jazz
3. Denver Nuggets
4. Seattle Supersonics
5. Portland Trailblazers

What the crap you talkin 'bout, Lewis? He leads in blocks everywhere he goes. He's one of the best rebounders per 48 minutes in the entire league...

NBA.com: Ranks #10 in the NBA in Blocks Per Game(2.11) Ranks #10 in the NBA in Blocks(148.0)
Ranks #10 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds Per 48 Minutes(10.0) Ranks #13 in the NBA in Rebounds Per 48 Minutes(13.7)
Ranks #1 in the NBA in Blocks Per 48 Minutes(5.23)

And how many guys have career highs of 18 rebounds and 8 blocks in a game? Hmm?
Old 08-02-2006, 04:52 PM   #8
cyco127
Local High School Star

Nice evaluation Brick... and yes Randy Foye is a stud who will be a serious ROY canidate.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:40 PM   #9
filipynt
Can barely lace up my sneakers

filipynt has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricklayer
What the crap you talkin 'bout, Lewis? He leads in blocks everywhere he goes. He's one of the best rebounders per 48 minutes in the entire league...

NBA.com: Ranks #10 in the NBA in Blocks Per Game(2.11) Ranks #10 in the NBA in Blocks(148.0)
Ranks #10 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds Per 48 Minutes(10.0) Ranks #13 in the NBA in Rebounds Per 48 Minutes(13.7)
Ranks #1 in the NBA in Blocks Per 48 Minutes(5.23)

And how many guys have career highs of 18 rebounds and 8 blocks in a game? Hmm?

Hi, I'm new to the Insidehoops.com forum, but I needed to quote this post and say that's exactly why the Jazz need to trade for Griffin. We need to dump Giri, and bring in Griffin. The T'Wolves need a backup SG. McCants is probably injured and out for the season. I think it's knee surgery, I don't remember exactly what his injury is, but it's pretty serious and possibly season-ending. We all know we could use another guy down low to help us out defensively, and there aren't that many shot-blocking centers in the league. A lot of the best shot blockers anymore are long athletic SFs and PFs. Can you guys imagine Griffin and Kirilenko out there roaming together. Plus, if Kirilenko went down we would still have a shot-blocking presence.
filipynt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 05:47 PM   #10
cyco127
Local High School Star

Hey filipynt, welcome to the forum.

I agree that we need some shotblocking aside from AK, but I don't think the Wolves would give up Griffin... It would leave them with no real backup to KG. Plus we're pretty solid at the PF/SF spots.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:37 AM   #11
Bricklayer
Decent playground baller

Yeah, we're stacked at the 4 spot. Boozer, Okur, Millsap, and even Kirilenko can play that position. Griffin would be a decent addition tho. I predict Millsap becomes #1 at rebounds per 48 minutes next season!! (cuz he's certainly not gonna get the minutes to be the outright #1 rebounder.)
Old 08-05-2006, 03:35 AM   #12
cyco127
Local High School Star

Quote:
I predict Millsap becomes #1 at rebounds per 48 minutes next season!!

That's a pretty bold prediction brick... I hope you're right.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:02 AM   #13
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

You guys are crazy for real. Eddie Griffin is awful. We would trade him for Dee Brown, Giricek, anybody that can positively contribute to a team is better than Griffin. I'd trade him for a deflated women's basketball if I had the option.

If we traded him we wouldn't have a hole behind KG because we drafted Craig Smith from BC who is the same type of player as Milsap except with a jump shot.

Whoever reads this and disagrees with me go to the main NBA forum and make a topic called " Eddie Griffin is so good" or "Eddie Griffin is underrated" or "Eddie Griffin is a defensive monster". Every single knowledgable person wil ltell you he's a slouch and that his stats are completely misleading. And if you're wondering why I'm hating on him so much even though I'm a Wolves fan well I'll tell you why.

He's a center and shoots 35% not from 3, but from the field in total. His defense is so overrated because he gets a couple blocks here and there which are gamble blocks where he just left his man alone and jumped as high as he could. HE shoots like 5 three's a game. Has no post game.

He's awful period, and if you would trade Giricek for him you would have to go to the hospital because you would have just been r-a-p-e-d.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 10:24 AM   #14
Bricklayer
Decent playground baller

Dude... take all the crap you just said about Eddie Griffin and multiply it by 10... that's Ostertag. and we had him for a dozen years. We now have araujo who could potentially be a brazilian Ostertag reincarnated. so yeah, griffin sounds pretty good to us right now.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:37 PM   #15
cyco127
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
You guys are crazy for real. Eddie Griffin is awful. We would trade him for Dee Brown, Giricek, anybody that can positively contribute to a team is better than Griffin. I'd trade him for a deflated women's basketball if I had the option.

If we traded him we wouldn't have a hole behind KG because we drafted Craig Smith from BC who is the same type of player as Milsap except with a jump shot.

Whoever reads this and disagrees with me go to the main NBA forum and make a topic called " Eddie Griffin is so good" or "Eddie Griffin is underrated" or "Eddie Griffin is a defensive monster". Every single knowledgable person wil ltell you he's a slouch and that his stats are completely misleading. And if you're wondering why I'm hating on him so much even though I'm a Wolves fan well I'll tell you why.

He's a center and shoots 35% not from 3, but from the field in total. His defense is so overrated because he gets a couple blocks here and there which are gamble blocks where he just left his man alone and jumped as high as he could. HE shoots like 5 three's a game. Has no post game.

He's awful period, and if you would trade Giricek for him you would have to go to the hospital because you would have just been r-a-p-e-d.

Yo bro, why you gotta call us all crazy??? Some first time poster mentions Eddie Griffin (whom I wouldn't touch with a ten ft pole) you call US crazy...
You need to focus your attacks better.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: