Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Cleveland Cavaliers Forum

Cleveland Cavaliers Forum Cleveland cavaliers message board - cleveland cavaliers fan forum

Old 06-08-2006, 03:27 PM   #1
AKADS
National High School Star

AKADS is considered somewhat coolAKADS is considered somewhat cool
Default Larry Hughes

I was looking at Hughes cap % and salary and his contract isn't that bad.
(6.7 and around 12mil I believe)

He is only 27 with 4 more yrs left. I know he has been injured but, that could help him if he stays healthy.

THis was the first yr he played in lest then 50 games and he had averaged 66 games a yr for the last 4 yrs.

Is there any trade value for him.
Who can use a 6'5" shooting gaurd who can play point next to a shoot first point gaurd. And someone who will average 2 steal a game and play good defence?
AKADS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:57 PM   #2
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

He can't stay healthy. You said it yourself, less than 50 games this year, and 66 per the past four years.

So he's getting worse as he gets older.

Streaky as hell shooter, average to poor on the ball defender, so a 12 million dollar price tag for 2 steals and inconsistent shooting? Hahahahhaha
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:04 PM   #3
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

Anyone who trades for Hughes before the end of his ridiculous contract is making a mistake.
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:04 PM   #4
AKADS

Above average on ball defender.
66 but outside of last yr he had gotten better every yr.

Hughes plays best next to a Giblo, AI, Baron, Marbury type PG. He allows them to play SG.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:06 PM   #5
easythereliberace
I airball my layups

easythereliberace has an OK reputation so far

Larry "contract year" Hughes will be on cruise control till its time to earn that money again.
easythereliberace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:06 PM   #6
Basketbolero
Local High School Star

Basketbolero has decent reputationBasketbolero has decent reputation
Question

I don' think the Cavs will trade him, he is a good defender, and Mike Brown loves it, and he is a capable scorer, who seems to enjoy playing for LeBron. When healthy, he is going to be a very important piece for the Cavs.
But letīs wait and see
Basketbolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:10 PM   #7
AKADS

I think he will be traded i hope Lebron can make him an all star again this yr.

Larry just doesn't fit on the Cavs.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:17 PM   #8
traditionone
High school junior varsity star

traditionone has an OK reputation so far

Larry Hughes isn't the problem in Cleveland. Finding a suitor for Ilgauskus takes higher priority.
traditionone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:19 PM   #9
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Aye, Big Z's contract is lethal.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:19 PM   #10
AKADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by traditionone
Larry Hughes isn't the problem in Cleveland. Finding a suitor for Ilgauskus takes higher priority.

Yes Yes Yes.
I say package them for something maybe KG
Old 06-08-2006, 04:30 PM   #11
dgbigballer9329
Great young streetballer

dgbigballer9329 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
average to poor on the ball defender

Above average to great on-ball defender.

As a Wizards fan, I'll tell you it was a myth that he was just some kind of a gambler. He was our only good defensive player, really. Most of his steals weren't off gambling anyhow.......he'd deflect or outright steal entry passes or strip guys in the lane.

Even as a fan of his though, I can understand the criticism. He's inconsistent shooting and he takes horrible shots.
dgbigballer9329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:42 PM   #12
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

I'm just saying from what I've seen. Whenever he plays the Pistons it's gambling, and getting torched.

The games I've seen he is a poor to average on the ball.

Maybe he can light up non-playoff teams, I'll give you that.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:48 PM   #13
dgbigballer9329
Great young streetballer

dgbigballer9329 has an OK reputation so far

Nah you might have what i'd call selective eyesight, because Larry's seriously not even a gambler. People used that to explain his high steal-count (because usually guys that get alot of steals gamble, like Iverson), but it just flat out wasn't true. I'm not even talking about his overall ability, because offensively he's erratic.........but either you've just seen him a little bit and it's a poor defensive representation of him, or you're seeing incorrectly.
dgbigballer9329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:48 PM   #14
420puffer
Kids at the park dunk on me

420puffer has an OK reputation so far

Larry hughes is overpaid just like a whole bunch of players. He is not a spot up shooter so how does he compliment Lebron? He has good defense and he is a slasher & i think he was better off in Washington with the rest of his players
420puffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:49 PM   #15
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Larry Hughes is not the problem with this team. The problem our PG situation and Big Z.

I'll deal with Z first... Z is not a horrible player (regardless of how bad he looked in the postseason). He can be very effective in the post with a slow, half court team. He is a very good offensive rebounder and has good range on his jump shot.

However, he does not fit with this team and I've been saying it since 'Bron was first drafted. He was awarded a huge contract last year, which left me scratching my head... especially when I heard that Bron was the one pushing for him to stay.

The Cavs need an athletic, defensive minded big man. I thought that they should have let Z go last year and pushed hard for Dalembert (a great fit, imo). A team with Bron, Hughes, and Flip needs to push the ball.

Hughes' problems really stem from having a PG who has no offensive game. Larry's best quality is his slashing to the hoop. With Snow on the court, his man can sag off of him and help Larry's defender when he makes a move to the hoop. Of course, that defender doesn't have to worry about Eric because he has absolutely no jumper. We know that Bron is going to occupy the majority of the defensive attention. If we got a guy who could play the point that the opposition simply couldn't afford to leave opened, it would give Larry basically 1-on-1 opportunities every time down court. He is quick enough to beat most defenders to the basket and, when you factor in that Bron is going to draw every team's best defender, Larry will be even that much more effective against average defenders.

Get rid of Z and his huge contract... get a guy who can get defensive rebounds and get out on the break... sign a PG who can stroke it... our problems are solved.

LH is not the problem.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: