Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 01-19-2008, 07:35 PM   #1
mike239489

Default DJ Mbenga vs. Kwame Brown

So, from what I have been able to gather from the internet, it looks like the Lakers are going to be signing DJ to a 10 day contract, no Webber from the looks of it.

So I just wanted to see what ya'll thought of the comparison.

Personally, I am very skeptical, but remain a bit hopeful. DJ definitely is not going to bring anything offensively, but can help out with what we need most and that is defense. The only problem is how foul-prone he is, but if he can stay on the floor for about 15 minutes a game, I think he can provide a good boost.

He'll be able to block shots and clog the middle of the lane, which really is what we need right now. Bynum was the force that was preventing the easy lay-ins and I think Mbenga could help us in that front. We gave up way too many points in the past two games we played without Drew.

So what ya'll think?
Old 01-19-2008, 07:43 PM   #2
Lakers13
Reload Time

Lakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: DJ Mbenga vs. Kwame Brown

If he can shot block and dunk, welcome aboard.
Lakers13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:30 PM   #3
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

we should just forget about playoffs.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 02:23 AM   #4
LakerDynasty00
High school junior varsity star

LakerDynasty00 has decent reputationLakerDynasty00 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
we should just forget about playoffs.

C'mon now... We will be a 5 or 6th seed AT LEAST, mark my words. Then Bynum will be back in the flow and we're going to be huge in the playoffs. We'll have an additional center/power-forward to throw in the mix too. Things are looking good even at this extremely frustrating time.
LakerDynasty00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:57 AM   #5
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakerDynasty00
C'mon now... We will be a 5 or 6th seed AT LEAST, mark my words. Then Bynum will be back in the flow and we're going to be huge in the playoffs. We'll have an additional center/power-forward to throw in the mix too. Things are looking good even at this extremely frustrating time.

The way I see it, the 9th and 10th seed are teams with above .500 records.

If we don't stay at least 6 games above .500, we should think about next year.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:53 AM   #6
LakerDynasty00
High school junior varsity star

LakerDynasty00 has decent reputationLakerDynasty00 has decent reputation

Right, and we're what 26-12 right now? 14 games over .500. I can't imagine us going any worse than let's say 3-4 games under .500 over the next 25 games, which would be like 11-14. And that leaves us at 37-26, 11 over .500. Still firmly in good playoff positioning. Then the remaining 19 games we can go 13-6 or so, which has us finishing the season at 50-32!
LakerDynasty00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:46 AM   #7
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I think would be disappointed if we ended up with Mbenga. I like the defensive presence that he might provide, but Bynum proved that the Triangle works best when you have a Post presence with good hands that can open up space on the floor, distribute the ball well and slam it home when necessary. Webber probably fits that bill better, but his defense might hurt the Lakers... so I am torn!

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 01:59 PM   #8
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

In all honesty too, its unfair to Kwame Brown that he's compared to an unproven DJ Mbenga.

Kwame has shown how good he can be before and its a matter of will he bring it or not. This is an example of how we overreact to things.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:30 PM   #9
kobedaman24
its ours nxt year LA09

kobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this board

Mbenga is a good scrub, but I still have to say Kwame is a bit quicker, yet at the same time clumsier..

Hard choice?!
kobedaman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:00 PM   #10
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
In all honesty too, its unfair to Kwame Brown that he's compared to an unproven DJ Mbenga.

Kwame has shown how good he can be before and its a matter of will he bring it or not. This is an example of how we overreact to things.

Well, my message did not make that statement, but I do agree with your point. Although Kwame has been playing horribly, he is still not 100% from what I have heard. So, he does not have the lift and quickness that he needs. I would argue that he has not had enough playing time either, so with the Lakers in the pressure cooker of a real standing race, Kwame is probably feeling some extra pressure. He needs to settle into it.

Thats why I also think bringing Webber on over Mbenga makes sense. Hypothetically, you could have Kwame and Webber in at the same time at points during the game.

I just doubt the Lakers can get Webber to come.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:42 PM   #11
alexthegod
Local High School Star

alexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Lakerfreak, no need to push the panic button, they just won 7 games in row before they played a "bad" game against PHX. Bad games happen in a 82 game season and as bad as they played they still had an opportunity to pull a win out in the 4th. Don't expect this team to fall apart. One game is not going to sink the Lakers. They have a tough stretch here they just have to survive. Even if they go 3-3, 2-4 during this next stretch of games vs den, sa, dal, cle, ny, and det, they are still going to be ok. Remember they started out the season 9-8, then went 17-3 during the next stretch of games, there will be ups and downs ;)
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:50 PM   #12
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexthegod
Lakerfreak, no need to push the panic button, they just won 7 games in row before they played a "bad" game against PHX. Bad games happen in a 82 game season and as bad as they played they still had an opportunity to pull a win out in the 4th. Don't expect this team to fall apart. One game is not going to sink the Lakers. They have a tough stretch here they just have to survive. Even if they go 3-3, 2-4 during this next stretch of games vs den, sa, dal, cle, ny, and det, they are still going to be ok. Remember they started out the season 9-8, then went 17-3 during the next stretch of games, there will be ups and downs ;)

We won 7 in a row in a stretch where we played 6 garbage teams and Bynum was fired up. We're playing better teams now and Bynum isn't active. Who else besides Kobe is going to score now?

I understand your point but I dont see how we can match up with these other top notch teams. every seeded team in the west has a chance to get first. the two teams that are 9th and 10th seeds are over .500. We can slack off just a little bit and we will be in danger of missing the playoffs.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:52 PM   #13
ZeN
PsychedelicHentaiNazi

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexthegod

I agree that its not yet, panic time.

But I am sure thats it time for slight worry...

The lakers have actually looked bad in the past 3 games. The fact that they won two of those, does not change the uglyness of the team..

Two of those game the lakers barely won, sonics and grizz...

Phx is understandable but there was too much bad play to be content with it merely being a game against a good team.

Its not panic time, because we all know that this roster is capable of being competitive. But I think its time to worry, about the team pushing aside the Bynum injury and Kwames horridness, and alter the team to its new strenghts.

I hope they realize that KB is still the man. And as such hes going to get 3ple teamed.

And thats where Fisher, Farmar, and Ariza need to come in... outside shooting and driving to the basket...

ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:54 PM   #14
ZeN
PsychedelicHentaiNazi

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
the two teams that are 9th and 10th seeds are over .500. We can slack off just a little bit and we will be in danger of missing the playoffs.

The West is darn right scary!
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:22 PM   #15
alexthegod
Local High School Star

alexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
We won 7 in a row in a stretch where we played 6 garbage teams and Bynum was fired up.

Thats what good teams do, they beat the teams they are supposed to beat, thats something the Lakers did not do last year, but are doing this year ;) So when you hit that rough stretch and stumble a little, it won't burry you.

As far as scoring, they still are the 3rd highest scoring team and 4th best fg%. It takes a few games to adjust the offense now that the big fella is out. Their defense is what really has to pick up.
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: