Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-21-2008, 01:11 PM   #31
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Hey,This is for all you Guitar Players and Trendy F*cks who Claim to Know Rock Mu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurlyburly
i seen hippo's has the worst taste in music.

I can understand him having a personal preference, but to say that the critically bashed stuff he likes is better than critically acclaimed music is ridiculous.

It's like arguing with the editor of Bon Appetite magazine about how grilled cheese is better than filet mignon.

Sure, you yourself may enjoy grilled cheese more than a filet mignon, but to say grilled cheese is better than filet mignon is just ridiculous.

Please name the music I like that isn't critically acclaimed. Making fun of people is easy. Making sense is another thing.

And Deuce, I said the Blue Album was good, but before you try making fun of me for liking Offspring and Megadeth, please understand you're defending Weezer.

People with little knowledge of the rock genre like Gobb might giggle at what you said, but you aren't fooling anybody....oh Hurleyburly agrees with you too...but he did say he was gonna watch tennis tonight with his pants down and *********e so you can take that for what it's worth.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:17 PM   #32
Hurlyburly
Banned

Hurlyburly has no real reputation yet.
Default Re: Hey,This is for all you Guitar Players and Trendy F*cks who Claim to Know Rock Mu

Do you honestly think that in 50 years college students will be dissecting the merits of Offsprings pop-punk lyrics in Music Theory class? If you do, that explains the reason you're probably majoring in Carpentry with a minor in TV Trivia.
Hurlyburly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:24 PM   #33
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
Please name the music I like that isn't critically acclaimed. Making fun of people is easy. Making sense is another thing.

And Deuce, I said the Blue Album was good, but before you try making fun of me for liking Offspring and Megadeth, please understand you're defending Weezer.

People with little knowledge of the rock genre like Gobb might giggle at what you said, but you aren't fooling anybody....oh Hurleyburly agrees with you too...but he did say he was gonna watch tennis tonight with his pants down and *********e so you can take that for what it's worth.

I'm defending the Blue Album, other than Dream Theater's Images and Words, the other groups I trashed can't even come close to touching that album. The problem with Dream Theater, and the other groups besides Offspring is they aren't relevent. Smash had 2 singles on it, and that's pretty much their whole career.

The Blue Album mattered.

You just can't separate personal favorites from what matters in the big picture. My favorite music is 60's and 70's prog: Genesis, King Crimson, Captain Beyond, PFM...

They have superior song writing, musicianship, and were critically aclaimed, which is why I like them, but that doesn't make them socially relevent or important. You talk about a ton of music, that for the most part, no one gives a ****. It's not '89, no one cares about Megadeath, none of those bands had long lasting impacts.

Last edited by DeuceWallaces : 01-21-2008 at 01:26 PM.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:26 PM   #34
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Do you honestly think that in 50 years college students will be dissecting the merits of Offsprings pop-punk lyrics in Music Theory class? If you do, that explains the reason you're probably majoring in Carpentry with a minor in TV Trivia.

No I don't think they will, same with the Blue Album. Have any more stupid questions?

Just to clarify, the second set of bands I named released albums that could be deemed better. Not my opinion that they are. Only the first five are bands that I believe released better albums.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:27 PM   #35
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
I'm defending the Blue Album, other than Dream Theater's Images and Words, the other groups I trashed can't even come close to touching that album. The problem with Dream Theater, and the other groups besides Offspring is they aren't relevent. Smash had 2 singles on it, and that's pretty much their whole career.

The Blue Album mattered.

You just can't separate personal favorites from what matters in the big picture. My favorite music is 60's and 70's prog: Genesis, King Crimson, Captain Beyond, PFM...

They have superior song writing, musicianship, and were critically aclaimed, which is why I like them, but that doesn't make them socially relevent or important. You talk about a ton of music, that for the most part, no one gives a ****. It's not '89, no one cares about Megadeath, none of those bands had long lasting impacts.

BEST album of the 90's. Not most popular. Go work for VH1 if that's how you want to do things.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:35 PM   #36
Hurlyburly
Banned

Megadeth and Offspring have NEVER been used in a the same sentence as the phrase best band. NEVER.

Not unless it's by some skeezy stoner who has acne, a mullet, and one of those greasy moustaches that's real thin and ungroomed. And only a meathead who hangs out shooting pool in a frathouse would ever call Offspring the greatest band ever. Nobody who actually knows or appreciates music would call either of those bands the best ever.

Get real
Old 01-21-2008, 01:37 PM   #37
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

There's an infinite amount of albums that can be considered superior. You have to find some way to separate. Megadeth, Offspring, Live, Pantera...they jsut don't matter anymore. Bands like Live only mattered for a year when they were big.

Even if you want to look at the music alone, Blue album is better than all listed. Images and Words is close, but it's inaccessible to most.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:40 PM   #38
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Megadeth and Offspring have NEVER been used in a the same sentence as the phrase best band. NEVER.

Not unless it's by some skeezy stoner who has acne, a mullet, and one of those greasy moustaches that's real thin and ungroomed. And only a meathead who hangs out shooting pool in a frathouse would ever call Offspring the greatest band ever. Nobody who actually knows or appreciates music would call either of those bands the best ever.

Get real

I never said they are the best band ever....we're talking about the best albums of 1994. Maybe you should take a break.

If you want to talk about the best band ever then I'd say Iron Maiden. Not the most popular or the most influential (although they were a lot of both), but the BEST. That statement can only be subjective. That's why this conversation went south. You can't expect me to say the Blue Album is better cause then people will assume you actually like it more. I have no problem saying it was more popular or influential, but not BETTER than albums like Smash.

And for the last time I said the Blue Album was good.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:43 PM   #39
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Even the GOAT music database www.allmusic.com has Blue over anything you listed.

Blue rapes Smash. F'ing Offspring.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:43 PM   #40
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

Get real

GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:45 PM   #41
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Quote:
There's an infinite amount of albums that can be considered superior. You have to find some way to separate. Megadeth, Offspring, Live, Pantera...they jsut don't matter anymore. Bands like Live only mattered for a year when they were big.

Even if you want to look at the music alone, Blue album is better than all listed. Images and Words is close, but it's inaccessible to most.

I know the Blue Album was more popular to the masses and for that reason more influential. I'm not disagreeing with you. Images and Words (not their 1994 album fyi) is definitely BETTER though. Musically, DT kicks Weezer so hard in the ass it's not even funny.

And can we stop going back and forth between bands and albums from 1994...it's hard to have a coherent conversation. And to say Megadeth doesn't matter anymore is ignorant.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:48 PM   #42
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Even the GOAT music database www.allmusic.com has Blue over anything you listed.

Blue rapes Smash. F'ing Offspring.

Again, that's based on popularity, influence and so on...not how good an album is. I have no problem with someone saying Blue album is better than Smash anyways. They're both alt. rock albums and both are good to great so it doesn't bother me since they're relatively similar.

Now if someone tries saying Blue Album is better than say Rust in Peace...then you're stupid.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:54 PM   #43
Hurlyburly
Banned

Iron Maiden the best band ever?

GET THE **** OUT!!!!

"The Beatles ain't got nothing on us! Did they even wear tight leather like we do? DOUBT IT! Check my bangs, now check John Lennons! No contest! We beat The Beatles in a rock off or a hair cut contest! *throws metal sign*"

Get the **** out!
Old 01-21-2008, 01:56 PM   #44
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Just quit. All music is not based on popularity. It's the definitive critical review source for music for the past 3 decades. Used by most people in the industry for reference. Here are some more Blue accolades:

Publication Country Accolade Year Rank
Rate Your Music USA Top Albums of All-Time #497
Rate Your Music USA Top Albums of 1994 #21
Blender USA 500 CDs You Must Own Before You Die 2003 *
Music Underwater USA Top 100 Albums 19902003 2004 #10
Stylus Magazine USA Top 101-200 Albums of All Time 2004 #177
Pitchfork Media USA Top 100 Favorite Records of the 1990 2003 #26
Rolling Stone USA The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time 2003 #297

Plus a 5* check in all music.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:56 PM   #45
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Iron Maiden the best band ever?

GET THE **** OUT!!!!

"The Beatles ain't got nothing on us! Did they even wear tight leather like we do? DOUBT IT! Check my bangs, now check John Lennons! No contest! We beat The Beatles in a rock off or a hair cut contest! *throws metal sign*"

Get the **** out!

You know why Gobb can get away with actually typing pointless crap...it's because he's funny so people can look over that fact.

"You, TMOGE? Eh...not so much, but you try.

You do try."
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: