Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-22-2008, 11:31 AM   #31
Hardtop Hero
I hit open 5-footers

Hardtop Hero has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: So if Kobe DOES win MVP, will the award magically be valid again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
I think that Kobe should get an MVP at least once in his career especially since he's recognized as the best player on the planet for the last few years. This is the most oppotune time for him to win considering the Lakers record and his more balanced yet still potent game. Does it validate the award? Eh, but it will validate Kobe's career.

This doesn't make sense. If the award itself isn't valid, then how can it be used to validate a career? This is what I meant when I said all the bytching has painted Kobe supporters into a corner.

If the award is so tainted then it's meaningless if he wins it. Unless you want to pretend that his winning it suddenly makes it valid again. But then, what happens the next time someone you don't think should win wins? Is it suddenly invalid again?

This is why all the bytching was pretty stupid.
Hardtop Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:38 AM   #32
hateraid
Is it in you?

hateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

But when will the MVP ever be validated? In recent history it always made sense when the MVP was picked, but seemed tainted due to the poor playoff perfromances. In order for this award to be on track the season MVP should be able to carry his team far or even win the playoffs. That's when the award will be validated.
On the flip side for Kobe to win this award, it will validate his career. Not neccesarily the award itself. Like I've mentioned, Kobe has been dubbed the best player on the planet for the last few years and an MVP award will justify his career. How many players of all time had that status and not won an MVP? This is Kobe's best year making it his best oppurtunity.
Hopefully that made better sense.
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:40 AM   #33
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

bleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtop Hero
I think the more hardcore Kobe fans have painted themselves into a corner with all the bytching about Dirk and Nash winning MVPs. They insisted that the media would never vote for Kobe and it was an outrage that he didn't get it and that it's forever tainted and blah blah blah.

So, if he does win it this year will all that change since it was awarded to him? I mean, when people bring up Nash's MVPs to talk about how good he is as a player, it's always dismissed. Well don't you think Kobe fans are going to use the MVP to talk about how good Kobe is if he wins it?

Bottom line is if you were one of the people talking about how much of an outrage it was that Kobe didn't win, and how the MVP doesn't mean anything anymore, then you can't celebrate if he wins it this year. Or you're just a hypocrite.

You've also opened the door for anyone who disagrees with Kobe winning it to dismiss his win as part of the whole tainted MVP award process.

I think you are being a little too dramatic.
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:41 AM   #34
Hardtop Hero
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:
But when will the MVP ever be validated? In recent history it always made sense when the MVP was picked, but seemed tainted due to the poor playoff perfromances. In order for this award to be on track the season MVP should be able to carry his team far or even win the playoffs. That's when the award will be validated.
On the flip side for Kobe to win this award, it will validate his career. Not neccesarily the award itself. Like I've mentioned, Kobe has been dubbed the best player on the planet for the last few years and an MVP award will justify his career. How many players of all time had that status and not won an MVP? This is Kobe's bets year making it his best oppurtunity.

No, you're still talking around the issue. If the award has lost it's meaning, then Kobe winning it doesn't validate anything.

The best way to handle it, from the prospective of a Kobe fan who would want to bring meaning back to it, is to apologize for their previous bytching, respect the wins of Nash and Dirk and THEN go on to celebrate Kobe's win.

Otherwise, you're just a hypocrite if you're giving validity to an award you said no longer had any validity just because you're hero won.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:42 AM   #35
Hardtop Hero
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
I think you are being a little too dramatic.

What, you just wanted to appear in this thread? Because you added nothing to the discussion, nor did you counter anything I said. Now either do so or run along.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:46 AM   #36
hateraid
Is it in you?

hateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
No, you're still talking around the issue. If the award has lost it's meaning, then Kobe winning it doesn't validate anything.

The best way to handle it, from the prospective of a Kobe fan who would want to bring meaning back to it, is to apologize for their previous bytching, respect the wins of Nash and Dirk and THEN go on to celebrate Kobe's win.

Otherwise, you're just a hypocrite if you're giving validity to an award you said no longer had any validity just because you're hero won.

You are not really reading my post are you? What I've bolded there was exactly my point. Kobe hate is blinding you right now. I never mentioned Kobe winning the award validates the award, only his career. Let me highlight for you what I posted.

Quote:
On the flip side for Kobe to win this award, it will validate his career. Not neccesarily the award itself. Like I've mentioned, Kobe has been dubbed the best player on the planet for the last few years and an MVP award will justify his career. How many players of all time had that status and not won an MVP? This is Kobe's bets year making it his best oppurtunity.

Last edited by hateraid : 01-22-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:46 AM   #37
ForceOfNature
In It to Win It

ForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputation

For all you Kobe fans, I think Bryant winning the MVP this year is a strong possibility. It's just tough to see such a great player not win an MVP in his career. I think the media realizes this, and if it came down to a choice between him and Chris Paul or him and Dwight Howard, they will take Kobe because of the experience. As for Kobe vs. KG, that will be an interesting choice.
ForceOfNature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:48 AM   #38
hateraid
Is it in you?

Quote:
I think that Kobe should get an MVP at least once in his career especially since he's recognized as the best player on the planet for the last few years. This is the most oppotune time for him to win considering the Lakers record and his more balanced yet still potent game. Does it validate the award? Eh, but it will validate Kobe's career.

The eh means not really. There's a difference from validating the award to validating a career.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:53 AM   #39
kgisbigticket
Banned

kgisbigticket has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
I think the more hardcore Kobe fans have painted themselves into a corner with all the bytching about Dirk and Nash winning MVPs. They insisted that the media would never vote for Kobe and it was an outrage that he didn't get it and that it's forever tainted and blah blah blah.

So, if he does win it this year will all that change since it was awarded to him? I mean, when people bring up Nash's MVPs to talk about how good he is as a player, it's always dismissed. Well don't you think Kobe fans are going to use the MVP to talk about how good Kobe is if he wins it?

Bottom line is if you were one of the people talking about how much of an outrage it was that Kobe didn't win, and how the MVP doesn't mean anything anymore, then you can't celebrate if he wins it this year. Or you're just a hypocrite.

You've also opened the door for anyone who disagrees with Kobe winning it to dismiss his win as part of the whole tainted MVP award process.

Kobe fans would change their whole demeaner and say that the media is changing.
kgisbigticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:05 PM   #40
Hardtop Hero
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:
You are not really reading my post are you? What I've bolded there was exactly my point. Kobe hate is blinding you right now. I never mentioned Kobe winning the award validates the award, only his career. Let me highlight for you what I posted.

I'm not being blinded by any Kobe hate. In fact, I haven't even commented on him as a player. Unless you think talking about what a very vocal contingent of his FANS have said equals hating on Kobe himself.

Now, back to your point.

Quote:
In order for this award to be on track the season MVP should be able to carry his team far or even win the playoffs. That's when the award will be validated.

Steve Nash carried his team to the WCF and he was still ridiculed by Kobe fans. Hell, Dirk carried his team to the FINALS (though not the year he won it) and was still ridiculed.

Quote:
On the flip side for Kobe to win this award, it will validate his career. Not neccesarily the award itself.

And I just don't see how that's possible. If the award itself isn't valid, then it can't be used to validate a career. I don't see why you can't comprehend that unless you're trying to twist and turn and somehow make it so that the award is meaningless except if Kobe wins it.

Which is the kind of thing I was talking about from the very beginning.

Last edited by Hardtop Hero : 01-22-2008 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:08 PM   #41
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Will the award be valid again, since when is the award unvalid.

Maybe Dirk shouldn't have got it last year, maybe Nash shouldn't have gotten it twice. But guys like Dirk, Nash, Duncan, KG, those are worthy MVP winners to me.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:11 PM   #42
Hardtop Hero
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
Will the award be valid again, since when is the award unvalid.

Maybe Dirk shouldn't have got it last year, maybe Nash shouldn't have gotten it twice. But guys like Dirk, Nash, Duncan, KG, those are worthy MVP winners to me.

Perhaps you weren't here when Kobe fans were talking about how much of an outrage it was that Kobe didn't win, and how Nash winning it was a travesty and on and on and on.............

By the way, I agree with you about them being worthy.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:11 PM   #43
Created Player
Banned

Created Player has an OK reputation so far

, at Kobe fans thinking the MVP is a Lifetime Achievement Award.

Memo...NO PLAYER DESERVES A MVP.

What don't you, or anyone else, understand about this?

If Kobe gets the award based on emotional sentiments from the media, then it will be just as worse as when Nash won both of his. The outrage wouldn't be because Kobe won, but because THERE ARE SIMPLY BETTER CANDIDATES WHO HAVE HAD BETTER YEARS THAN HIM.

I thoughts what awards were for-- the MOST DESERVING men having the most stellar year?

You people sicken me. People are actualy aying Kobe DESERVES THE AN AWARD BECAUSE IT VALIDATES HIS CAREER and no one even bats an eye. What the hell does that mean?

No one player DERSERVES anything on this earth. If Kobe wants the MVP, how about out-performing his contemporaries who have worked just as hard as he has this season. If Kobe's season isn't good enough, it's just not good enough. No need to start skewing logic to just fit one person's agenda.

That's the bottomline.

MVP's are for guys who had the most outstanding season, not who has the most outstanding fanbase. If fans of Kobe want see his career validated, wait till he goes into the Hall of Fame. Can't get anymore appreciated than that.

Last edited by Created Player : 01-22-2008 at 12:14 PM.
Created Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:13 PM   #44
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Showtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation here

Quote:

The MVP will never be valid again unless more specific boundaries are set that further define the award. Despite the name of the award, there are varying definitions of what exactly that means, so there is always a big controversy, because there will be players that deserve it, depending on the viewpoint of the voter.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:14 PM   #45
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Showtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Created Player
MVP's are for guys who had the most outstanding season, not who has the most outstanding fanbase. If fans of Kobe want see his career validated, wait till he goes into the Hall of Fame. Can't get anymore appreciated than that.
Can't say it any better.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: