Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Clippers Forum

Los Angeles Clippers Forum Clippers message board - clippers fan forum

Old 01-22-2008, 04:32 AM   #1
adiedanny
Die Hard Clippers Fan

Default Sterling Puts it on Dunleavy to Win

This is one crazy article but I like what I read:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...adlines-sports

Quote:
"I'm not happy," Sterling said. "The fans aren't happy, and can't be happy when they don't see a motivated performance.

"I want to make L.A. fans proud of this team, but if [ElginBaylor and Mike Dunleavy] can't make it happen, then I have no choice but to make changes."

Quote:
"That's why I'm paying [Dunleavy] the money I am," he said. "I want to see him win. I don't want to tell him how to do it. I'm just interested in the conclusion. My whole philosophy is hire the best people and let them do their jobs.

"There is no alternative, you have to rely on them, and if it doesn't work out, either you're patient or make changes, right?"

Dunleavy, asked about the owner's frustration, said, "I'm very frustrated too. But I'm also frustrated with the organization. I saw this coming, but had two deals out there that they didn't want to do. It contributed to where we are now."

Quote:
"One, based on my conversation with Elton, he's not going to opt out," said Sterling. "And two, whatever he asks for, I think he deserves. He is our franchise player, we need him. You saw a short time ago we were pretty close to being a special team, and now without him you see how difficult it is."

Quote:
"But I'm prepared to do whatever is necessary to win."

Edit: Added quotes from article

Last edited by qrich : 01-23-2008 at 01:33 AM.
adiedanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:32 AM   #2
qrich
King Heno

Default Re: Sterling Puts it on Dunleavy to Win

http://www.ocregister.com/sports/dun...yer-basketball

Quote:
"I understand his frustrations. I'm frustrated as well,'' Dunleavy said.

Quote:
"I said it was going to be a struggle (but) if we stayed healthy, we could hang around long enough to have a playoff run, if we'd get good timing with Elton and Shaun coming back,'' Dunleavy said. "It didn't happen for us. I'm not using injuries as an excuse but you can't put your head in the sand, either. We've had $30 million dollars sitting on the sidelines in suits. It's not like we're missing one guy. We've had six or seven guys out at different times.''

Quote:
Dunleavy said he had two deals lined up which would have eased the Clippers' injury situation this season, but both were vetoed. He said when that happened he foresaw the potential for the team's current plight.

"I can't guarantee that we would have made the playoffs but we'd be more competitive,'' Dunleavy said.

Quote:
"Changes, like me being changed? Be my guest,'' Dunleavy said. "It would be the biggest mistake you've ever made, I think. But it's his team. He can do whatever he likes.''
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:33 AM   #3
qrich
King Heno

As much as I dislike Dunleavy, I WANT to see him remain this franchises coach. Why? Well, he had a big part in turning us around and he WANTS to win. Something I didn't see from Alvin Gentry. Plus, Dunleavy seems to understand the game more then Alvin. Only problem is, that he's in love with the matchup offense, in which he is the best in the league. If I recall correctly, I read a quote in which Popovich said that Mike is the best coach at finding and exploiting mismatches.

I won't mind seeing Baylor gone, and have anyone at all replace him. Bring in Isiah Thomas to be our Assistant GM this summer and have him in charge of drafting. The guy is awesome when it comes to drafting young talent, something we have never done well as a franchsie
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:38 PM   #4
hutcht02
Mr. Basketball

I'm actually looking at this whole thing as a positive. There's an old coaches saying "When I yell at you, it means that I care and believe in you enough to turn you around. It's when I'm not yelling is when you should really be worried." This is exactly that. This barrier of silence that Baylor and Sterling and even Dunleavy have been in most of the season is what really had me frusturated. It was like they didn't even care. I'd rather have them fighting, because I now know that at least they're all trying to fix something they believe in. This whole this is a powder keg to say the least, but it gives me hope, and even almost assurance, that something big will happen before the end of the year that's aimed at turning this franchise back towards the direction we were going two years ago.
hutcht02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:30 PM   #5
alexthegod
Local High School Star

better to have this come out now than at the end of the season when the Clips are trying to attract free agents and make trades.

Man, didn't this team get to the second round and give PHX a run for their money just one season ago???? Dunleavy can't be all that bad. I still shake my head on how Baylor is still GM....and please don't wish Isiah on anyone! Not even to put my pickup team together lol
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:43 PM   #6
hutcht02
Mr. Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexthegod
better to have this come out now than at the end of the season when the Clips are trying to attract free agents and make trades.

Man, didn't this team get to the second round and give PHX a run for their money just one season ago???? Dunleavy can't be all that bad. I still shake my head on how Baylor is still GM....and please don't wish Isiah on anyone! Not even to put my pickup team together lol

Everyone should go on strike to make me, hutcht02, the new Gm of the Clippers. I guarentee a playoff birth within 2 years of me taking the job.
hutcht02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:54 PM   #7
darabzarrabi
High School JV MVP

Sterling is a moron and the front office is a joke here is a quote from Chad Ford's espn chat today

Florent (Mons, Belgium): How strong are the Celtics' chances to get Sam Cassel? Do you think they made a mistake by passing on Damon Stoudamire?

SportsNation Chad Ford: I don't think it was a major mistake to pass on Stoudamire. Rondo's better and they need to keep developing him. Cassell would be a nice pick-up if they could land him ... but that would require some cooperation with the Clippers -- a team that has historically been one of the most difficult in the league to work with. I feel for Mike Dunleavy. The Clippers have an awful front office and owner. He's trying his best, but they are working against him.

I hope we luck into some type of different situation...Dolan/Mchale/Isiah aren't as bad in comparison to what we got
darabzarrabi is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: