Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum D-League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Old 01-22-2008, 08:48 PM   #1
la bomba
Local High School Star

Default should there be two russian teams in euroleague?

Last year there were 2 russian clubs in euroleague.Dynamo Moscow were there as ULEB champs and did pretty well.This year they were back to 1. I think that Dynamo Moscow with the players and the coach they have are a far better team than both french teams and most certainly better than the german team.I would go further and say that khimki,lyubertsy and maybe even kazan are better than le mans!!!and Brose basket.
So why 1 russian team and 2 french teams?
I think the euroleague could be and should be stronger , I can't see how you can have a team with a 0 12 record! in the euroleague.In ULEB maybe because its not as strong and there are a lot of teams,many of them weak to very weak like guildford or skyliners.I think 2 russian teams and only 1 french team would be a better choice.
la bomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:49 PM   #2
berraco
Darko The Ripper

Default Re: should there be two russian teams in euroleague?

I have to agree. I'm not quite sure how the ULEB/FIBA assign the spots for the tournament but it is pretty clear that the level of the french league is really low now and they don't deserve to have more teams than Russia.
berraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:47 PM   #3
simasu01
Decent playground baller

I think Euroleague is fine the way it is. I've seen enough russians win, and hopefully won't see anymore, and CSKA is enough. We should see another team from Spain, and yes the French and German teams suck, but they have a high influence from Germany and Spain. All European competitions have these 2 involved because they are such huge countries. Right now, we have 2 Lithuanian, 4 Spanish, 4 Italian, 3 Greek, 2 Turkish, 2 French, and 1 from Germany, Croatia, Slovenia, Serbia, Poland, russia and israel. So I think that yes we should get rid of both of the French teams and get 1 from Serbia and 1 from Slovenia. And then get rid of Brose and get Joventut. Also Bologna is the second worst team in the Euroleague and then maybe they could add Asvel who i think is the only good French team, at least better than the 2 here now.
simasu01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:18 AM   #4
la bomba
Local High School Star

oh and why are there 4 italian teams? Virtus and AJ Milano are piss poor.Lottomatica are only decent and Siena are by far their best team.
3 italian teams and 2 russians i think is fairer than 4 and 1.I think even a fifth spanish team would improve the quality but 5 would be too many.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:00 PM   #5
simasu01
Decent playground baller

why would 5 be too many? next season there wont be french teams probably because of the low level this season. virtus has too big of a history to leave the euroleague. aj milano is rich i think they are staying, siena is too good for italy, and lottomatica is ok. but dropping one of these and adding a russian team, i dont think so.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:09 PM   #6
la bomba
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by simasu01
why would 5 be too many? next season there wont be french teams probably because of the low level this season. virtus has too big of a history to leave the euroleague. aj milano is rich i think they are staying, siena is too good for italy, and lottomatica is ok. but dropping one of these and adding a russian team, i dont think so.
haha I know you won't have it! Anything but another russian team for you.lol.Leaving politics aside dynamo moscow are better than lottomatica,virtus,milano and any of the french teams.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:32 PM   #7
simasu01
Decent playground baller

Do you think it will actually happen? I mean adding another russian team to the EuroLeague?
Old 01-26-2008, 11:45 PM   #8
b.jerk
High School JV MVP

There is a chance Russia will have a second euroleague team next year since Italy will have only three euroleague teams. Next years format will be from three groups of eight to four groups of six with the stated reasoning of more focus on the second stage. What I personally believe is since viewership for television and streaming revenue was strong the euroleague would have more revenue if more games were played and if the euroleague had a larger first stage there would be more games to sell on television and over the net. I have a feeling that in the future the euroleague will expand to 32 teams with four groups of eight in the first stage.

Last edited by b.jerk : 01-26-2008 at 11:51 PM.
b.jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:52 PM   #9
simasu01
Decent playground baller

Thatīs possible. Well what I do know is that Lietuvos Rytas will get get moved back to ULEB Cup unless they win Euroleague, which goes the same for a few more teams. Thatīs what Jordi Bertameu said when he visited Lithuania, and he said that after next season they will be changing the way that teams enter the Euroleague. I donīt know what will happen, but he said heīs aiming to have at least 2 Lithuanian team in Euroleague.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:26 AM   #10
gsafier
I airball my layups

The problem of the Euroleague goes way back.
When it was founded, to attract teams from FIBA ULEB has offered long term contracts to some teams and countires that fix them into the Euroleague.
It was arguebly the right thing to do then but things have changed and that old contract is still valid till next year.

Since then we have seen the decline of Italian Basketball along with the rise of the Russian nd Lithoenian. Other thing that they thought would happen (like the French bball getting stronger), didn't.

So next year we r stuck with the same biased ****, but considering the real strngth of teams around the contitent, I think they should make the following changes (with reasons):

Italy 2 teams (-2): (They simply don't deserve more)
Greece 3 teams (-1): (not much quality behind PAO and olympiakos)
France 1 team (-1): (they don't deserve even one team, but they r a large rich country so we've got to give them something)
Russia 3 teams (+2): (They now have the 2nd best national league in Europe, it's not only CSKA)
Lithoenia 2 teams (+1): (It's a crime not having Ritas fixed there)

That leaves another spot that should not be fixed in my opinion and should be distributed to some qualifications/ULEB cup/whatever.

The only country that deserves 4 teams is Spain.

Edit: just remembered Greece already has 3 teams, my bad.

Last edited by gsafier : 02-02-2008 at 08:27 AM.
gsafier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:37 AM   #11
simasu01
Decent playground baller

I think Spain deserves another team. And I think we could take another Serbian or Slovenian team, their basketball is always high quality.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:00 AM   #12
gsafier
I airball my layups

Quote:
I think Spain deserves another team. And I think we could take another Serbian or Slovenian team, their basketball is always high quality.

Level-wise Spain can even have 2 more teams but I think that in rpinciple no country should have more than 4. Otherwise it becomes kinda ridicilous and besides, the object is to promote the game around Europe. If you lock the entire Euroleague with fixed teams it would never expand beyond the participating sides.
gsafier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:51 PM   #13
simasu01
Decent playground baller

right i didnt think about that but we still want a high level of play.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:22 PM   #14
Taras Bulba
I airball my layups

Quote:
I think Euroleague is fine the way it is. I've seen enough russians win, and hopefully won't see anymore, and CSKA is enough. We should see another team from Spain, and yes the French and German teams suck, but they have a high influence from Germany and Spain. All European competitions have these 2 involved because they are such huge countries. Right now, we have 2 Lithuanian, 4 Spanish, 4 Italian, 3 Greek, 2 Turkish, 2 French, and 1 from Germany, Croatia, Slovenia, Serbia, Poland, russia and israel.
Get your facts straight.

-First of all isn't a competition all about winning? If Russian teams win, then it is one more reason to reward them with more spots.
-Right now there is only 1 Lithuanian team, Zalgiris. Rytas played due to a wild card from winning the ULEB Cup, like Dynamo did. Lithuania and Russia should definitely get a 2nd spot. And they will starting from next season according to the new Euroleague pan.
Quote:
Virtus hasn't played in the Euroleague for 6 years. Basically ever since the Euroleague was established as a united League. (There was a split in 2001-02). Well maybe you didn't think dropping an Italian club for a Russian but Euroleague sure did and actually will do it starting next season
Quote:
Do you think it will actually happen? I mean adding another russian team to the EuroLeague?
YES. It'd a done deal. Starting from next season.
Taras Bulba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:47 PM   #15
Lakas Fan Yo
Banned

Spain will have 4 teams, Greece and Italy 3 and Russia, France, and Turkey 2. I personally think Russia should have 3 and France just 1. But then I also think that maybe they figured in the Eurocup in that decision. Because most likely every year Eurocup finalists will be from Spain, Greece, and Russia.

So that makes it likely that Spain could have 5 spots, Greece 4, and Russia 3 in any given year, which is probably a little more accurate of how it should be.
Lakas Fan Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: