Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Portland Trail Blazers Forum

Portland Trail Blazers Forum Portland Trail Blazers forum - Portland Trail Blazers message board

Old 01-23-2008, 06:05 AM   #1
JordanL

JordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation here
Default What attitude to trades would you suggest to Pritchard?

I'm not talking about specific trades you make, more like... what would you suggest as the goal of any trades made by Pritchard at the end of this season?

I'm not even sure that trades at the end of this season would be wise. The team really seems to mesh well, and I'd almost suggest giving them all another season to opperate together. But if trades were made, what should Portland be looking for?
JordanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:57 PM   #2
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: What attitude to trades would you suggest to Pritchard?

Sergio Rodriguez needs to go IMO. The moment he comes in our team loses its fluidity and if we have a small lead, you can almost guarantee it will be gone by the time he goes to the bench. I really do not think he will develop into anything special. His D is terrible, his shot is terrible, and his decision making is pretty darn bad as well. He's a talented passer, but its like he tries to make the pass as difficult as possible.

We need roster spots with our overseas guys, so I suggest we trade Sergio for a 1st rounder that could be packaged with our upcoming 1st rounder to move up in the draft.

As for Raef and Miles, I hear people always talking about trading them to dump their contracts, but I'm kind of for keeping them. The reason is that even though they have terrible contracts, they expire at the perfect time. Both of their contracts run out after next season (I believe) and we are going to need the salary cap room to start re-signing guys like Roy, Aldridge, and Oden (the following year).
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:11 PM   #3
JordanL

JordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation here

If we got rid of Sergio I'd be in favor of filling his spot with Ferdinanz.

The future Blazer Team could be very expensive though. Outlaw, Aldridge, Oden and Roy all have what it takes to be All-Stars, and Blake/Jones both provide an excellent compliment to Roy.

We're already some $17 million over the salary cap with Raef and Miles, who between them account for over $20 million of our team's salary. Outlaw, Aldridge, Oden and Roy all have the potential to be $8-10 million contracts in two years. If the Blazers hold on to their talent and the players pull their part, the team has the chance to really pull in some solid playoff opportunities.

But I don't see any way around Portland paying the luxary tax, and simply ignoring their salary cap for the foreseeable future.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:29 PM   #4
Myth

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanL
If we got rid of Sergio I'd be in favor of filling his spot with Ferdinanz.

I'm assuming you mean Fernandez. Yeah, I'm excited about him too. The only ways of getting rid of Sergio and leaving that roster spot open is by trading for cash or future picks. I would be ok with future picks. But with our draft pick coming up, additional trades will be needed to still open up that spot for Fernandez. We'll have to start pulling some 2 for 1 trades of some sort.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:14 PM   #5
JordanL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
I'm assuming you mean Fernandez. Yeah, I'm excited about him too. The only ways of getting rid of Sergio and leaving that roster spot open is by trading for cash or future picks. I would be ok with future picks. But with our draft pick coming up, additional trades will be needed to still open up that spot for Fernandez. We'll have to start pulling some 2 for 1 trades of some sort.

Yeah... I'm terrible with names...

We're not doing THAT bad for space, especially if we traded, say, Jack with Sergio. Although that might make our Guard line a little too light, especially if we had to face an injury.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:13 PM   #6
Nygher
Banned

Nygher has an OK reputation so far

I'd just want a big man who is coming off the books this season to help sure up the paint defensivly

Besides that I think they should be ok.

Outlaw is an unrestricted free agent after the season right? I know he would be great to keep in Portland and don't get me wrong I want him here but I think if packaged with Sergio Rodriguez the Blazers could get a tremendous deal. Thats I think upwards towards six million with those two together. I don't have time to look for the potential return players but that could be something I see the Blazers doing. Outlaw and Rodriguez for a big man coming off the books and a second round pick that they later trade on draft day with another player (maybe McRoberts or Green) for a 1st round pick.
Nygher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:28 PM   #7
JordanL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nygher
I'd just want a big man who is coming off the books this season to help sure up the paint defensivly

Besides that I think they should be ok.

Outlaw is an unrestricted free agent after the season right? I know he would be great to keep in Portland and don't get me wrong I want him here but I think if packaged with Sergio Rodriguez the Blazers could get a tremendous deal. Thats I think upwards towards six million with those two together. I don't have time to look for the potential return players but that could be something I see the Blazers doing. Outlaw and Rodriguez for a big man coming off the books and a second round pick that they later trade on draft day with another player (maybe McRoberts or Green) for a 1st round pick.

Outlaw has one more year on his contract, and together they are only $4.4 million, so I think that would be a not-so-wise trade.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:25 AM   #8
Myth

This should clear up some of the confusions:

http://www.*********.com/salaries/portland.htm

Type in "h o o p s h y p e" for the link to work.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: