Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2008, 02:41 AM   #31
omarnyc
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,730
omarnyc has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Based on recent criteria, Chris Paul is your new MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime
So let me get this straight: Paul shouldn't be MVP...because he and his team aren't part of the hype machine?

how has paul impacted the league? his team is not #1, his stats are good but not overwhelming, like it or not hype is part of sports. nash was hype, his team was exciting, people wanted to watch him play. dirk was the best player on the best team. when you say a player is the mvp of the entire nba they have to have a impact or more then just their own team. lebron is the mvp of the nba.
omarnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:48 AM   #32
Showtime
Hardwood Hero
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,371
Showtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Based on recent criteria, Chris Paul is your new MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarnyc
how has paul impacted the league? his team is not #1, his stats are good but not overwhelming, like it or not hype is part of sports. nash was hype, his team was exciting, people wanted to watch him play. dirk was the best player on the best team. when you say a player is the mvp of the entire nba they have to have a impact or more then just their own team. lebron is the mvp of the nba.
You say Paul hasn't impacted the league? How about playing the best basketball at the point position? How about taking a shallow team to the top of the toughest division and conference in the league? How about potentially putting up a historical season statistically? Again, you think Paul isn't hyped because he hasn't done anything worthy of the hype, but other players have been more hyped with play that has been just as good. There's no valid reason why he isn't hyped.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:56 AM   #33
Lebron23
GOAT Small Forward
 
Lebron23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: LeBronville
Posts: 44,125
Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Based on recent criteria, Chris Paul is your new MVP

KG will not win the MVP this season because he is not putting up quality numbers that are better than his MVP Season.

Here are my top 3 MVP Candidates

1. Lebron James
2. Chris Paul
3. Kobe Bryant
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:07 AM   #34
omarnyc
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,730
omarnyc has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Based on recent criteria, Chris Paul is your new MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime
You say Paul hasn't impacted the league? How about playing the best basketball at the point position? How about taking a shallow team to the top of the toughest division and conference in the league? How about potentially putting up a historical season statistically? Again, you think Paul isn't hyped because he hasn't done anything worthy of the hype, but other players have been more hyped with play that has been just as good. There's no valid reason why he isn't hyped.

he's putting up 21 and 10...nash is at 17 and 12...deron williams is 19 and 9, what is so historical about paul's stats? like i said he is having a good or great season but his numbers are not overwhelming, he's not that far above other pg's. lebron is leading the league in scoring and he is a couple rebounds and assists away from averaging a triple double.
omarnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:21 AM   #35
and1
High School Varsity 6th Man
 
and1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: munich
Posts: 591
and1 has decent reputationand1 has decent reputation
Default Re: Based on recent criteria, Chris Paul is your new MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetriangle
No distinct 2nd best player - CHECK

what? stojakovic? west?
how is there not a 2nd best player... dude
and1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:33 AM   #36
Showtime
Hardwood Hero
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,371
Showtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Based on recent criteria, Chris Paul is your new MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarnyc
he's putting up 21 and 10...nash is at 17 and 12...deron williams is 19 and 9, what is so historical about paul's stats?

Chris Paul is only one of only 3 PG's to average at least 10 APG. Of those 3, Paul beats them in TO's, as he only averages 2.6 a game, and Kidd and Nash have almost 4 a game (3.6, and 3.8). He also scores more than they do, as he is the only one to score at least 20ppg. Not only that, but he's also averaging 2.6 steals a game.

21 ppg, 10 apg, 4 rpg, 2.6 TO & 2.6 spg on 48% shooting, and he's carried his team to the top of the west, and the southewest division, the toughest in the league. If he was able to keep his former pace of 3 steals a game, he could possibly be the first player to ever average 20 points, 10 assists, and 3 steals in a season.

Quote:
like i said he is having a good or great season but his numbers are not overwhelming, he's not that far above other pg's. lebron is leading the league in scoring and he is a couple rebounds and assists away from averaging a triple double.

Again, compared to the other players, what exactly does he have to do to get hype? What was 'overwhelming' with Nash's stats during his MVP seasons compared to what Paul is doing this year?

Once again, I will repeat myself: you say he isn't getting hype from the media because he isn't playing well enough to 'impact the league', yet he's playing better than any other PG, and as good as other recent MVP winners and candidates. How is taking a team that didn't make the playoffs last season to the top of the west not making an impact? There is NO reason why he SHOULDN'T be part of the hype machine. If you still disagree, then please tell me what Paul has to do to get there.

Last edited by Showtime : 01-25-2008 at 03:42 AM.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:49 AM   #37
kobelamarjackson
High School JV MVP
 
kobelamarjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 545
kobelamarjackson has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Based on recent criteria, Chris Paul is your new MVP

My top 5 candidates currently (it's always changing):

1. Paul
2. Garnett
3. Lebron
4. Kobe
5. Howard

Ultimately, I think Garnett will fall out of contention not because the Celtics won't win a bunch of games, which they will, but there are 3 major components to the celtics. as much as Garnett has brought the defense toughness, pierce and allen are equally as valuable. So either all three get mvp or none should.

By the way, I think Paul is going to blow up at the ASG in his city, he'll snatch the mvp on his first go of many all-star games to come.
kobelamarjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:13 AM   #38
dafunkphenom
Living Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,269
dafunkphenom has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Based on recent criteria, Chris Paul is your new MVP

Chris Paul will not win MVP folks. Anybody who thinks that will happen this year does nisot watch the NBA. Do y'all seriously think they will give CP MVP with the likes of Garnett and LBJ out there. Dream on. New Orleans is hot but waay overrated. They will never beat the elite West teams like San Antonio and Phoenix in a 7 game series.

I don't even have CP3 in my top 5 PG's

1. Steve Nash
2. Gilbert Arenas
3. Jason Kidd
4. Baron Davis
5. Tony Parker
6. Chris Paul.
dafunkphenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 11:51 AM   #39
Showtime
Hardwood Hero
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,371
Showtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Based on recent criteria, Chris Paul is your new MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafunkphenom
Chris Paul will not win MVP folks. Anybody who thinks that will happen this year does nisot watch the NBA. Do y'all seriously think they will give CP MVP with the likes of Garnett and LBJ out there. Dream on. New Orleans is hot but waay overrated. They will never beat the elite West teams like San Antonio and Phoenix in a 7 game series.

I don't even have CP3 in my top 5 PG's

1. Steve Nash
2. Gilbert Arenas
3. Jason Kidd
4. Baron Davis
5. Tony Parker
6. Chris Paul.
I can accept another opinion, but I can still attack the credibility of the basis of said opinion.

Now, you are basically saying Paul won't win because he isn't box office, and the team is overachieving, right?

So, let's take this one at a time. 'Box office' shouldn't have anything to do with MVP, and the sexy player doesn't always win MVP. For example, Lebron was the sexy pick last season, leading the cavs to a 50 win season, just behind the 53 win Pistons in the east, while putting up 27/7/6. Lebron was already pushed as the face of the league, and the young superstar, so if you were right, the MVP should have been him, right? The only reason Dirk got MVP was because the team won 67 games. That's it. He had a solid season with good numbers, but if the mavs had won 50-60 games, he wouldn't have gotten it. I got the vibe that the award kind of 'had' to be given to Dirk, since the team had such an impressive regular season (including a finals appearance the previous year), because Nash was still in the running, but there's no way the voters would have given it too him 3 years in a row. So, Lebron = more boxoffice and is the more 'sexy' pick, yet Dirk won it because of a 67 win season.

Now on to your second point, about the Hornets being overrated, because they won't beat the spurs or suns in a 7 game series. The MVP isn't about the playoffs, it's about the regular season, so whether you think the hornets will beat the elite teams in the playoffs is IRRELEVANT. The Suns, in the D'antoni/Nash era, haven't EVER beaten the Spurs in the playoffs, have only beaten the Mavs once, and haven't even made it to the finals, yet they have a two time MVP winner. I agree that I think the Hornets won't keep this pace for the rest of the season, however, the point about them not being able to take an elite team in the playoffs is irrelevant, because the MVP award is given out on regular season performances.

Also, you bring up an interesting point when listing your picks above Paul for MVP PG's:

1. Steve Nash
2. Gilbert Arenas
3. Jason Kidd
4. Baron Davis
5. Tony Parker

How do all of these players fit your criteria better than Paul? What logic and reasoning are you using to pick those 5 players for MVP above Paul?

Last edited by Showtime : 01-25-2008 at 12:48 PM.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:34 PM   #40
chains5000
From Out Of Nowhere
 
chains5000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bilbao
Posts: 8,661
chains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Based on recent criteria, Chris Paul is your new MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Created Player
Chris Paul is the frontrunner for MVP, closely followed by LeBron. Anyone who tells you otherwise is an idiot.
LeBron won't win unless MVP voters change their "no wins no MVP" rule.
The cavs will finish at best 3rd in the East.
chains5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:45 PM   #41
Showtime
Hardwood Hero
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,371
Showtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Based on recent criteria, Chris Paul is your new MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chains5000
LeBron won't win unless MVP voters change their "no wins no MVP" rule.
The cavs will finish at best 3rd in the East.
Well, what do you consider to be a winning season? If the cavs end up a top 3 team in the east, and they reach 50 wins, wouldn't that be enough?
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:53 PM   #42
chains5000
From Out Of Nowhere
 
chains5000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bilbao
Posts: 8,661
chains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Based on recent criteria, Chris Paul is your new MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime
Well, what do you consider to be a winning season? If the cavs end up a top 3 team in the east, and they reach 50 wins, wouldn't that be enough?
Right now there are 12 teams with a better winning percentage in the league.
The Cavs are 13 out of 30, that means they're not exactly having a great season, don't you think?

Of course, it's still January, anything can happen till season's end.
chains5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:00 PM   #43
Showtime
Hardwood Hero
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,371
Showtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Based on recent criteria, Chris Paul is your new MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chains5000
Right now there are 12 teams with a better winning percentage in the league.
The Cavs are 13 out of 30, that means they're not exactly having a great season, don't you think?

Of course, it's still January, anything can happen till season's end.
Ok, since I didn't get an answer to my question, I will rephrase:

What record in your mind will it take for Bron to get MVP?
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:02 PM   #44
Diesel J
NBA lottery pick
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,630
Diesel J has decent reputationDiesel J has decent reputation
Default Re: Based on recent criteria, Chris Paul is your new MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafunkphenom
Chris Paul will not win MVP folks. Anybody who thinks that will happen this year does nisot watch the NBA. Do y'all seriously think they will give CP MVP with the likes of Garnett and LBJ out there. Dream on. New Orleans is hot but waay overrated. They will never beat the elite West teams like San Antonio and Phoenix in a 7 game series.

I don't even have CP3 in my top 5 PG's

1. Steve Nash
2. Gilbert Arenas
3. Jason Kidd
4. Baron Davis
5. Tony Parker
6. Chris Paul.

put the pipe down man
Diesel J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:04 PM   #45
dafunkphenom
Living Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,269
dafunkphenom has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Based on recent criteria, Chris Paul is your new MVP

In response to Showtime.

You make a real good point about the race for MVP last year with Lebron and Dirk. I was really amazed when they gave it to Dirk but I thought Nash deserved it not Lebron. I thought Lebron didn't quite do enough and when I thought about it longer I think voters were hesitant to make Nash 3 x MVP.

This year If they go by your theory of a great player on a team with the most wins then it should go to Kevin Garnett.

That's why I really could care less about the MVP. If somebody asks me who's the best player in the league I'll tell em #1. Kobe, #2 Lebron (Who's closing the gap fast)

As far as my PG ratings go. They are just personal. I don't care about stats and whatnot. I watch alot of games and that's just my personal opinion of who I think is best PG's. One thing I will say is that Nash is #1 and #2 is a few steps down the ladder. Chris Paul is great but people want to throne him because of N.O push in the West over a half a season and because he is unquestionably their best player. Let's just wait to see him win a playoff game first.
dafunkphenom is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:04 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy