Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-24-2008, 02:57 PM   #16
Created Player
Banned

Created Player has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Are there really Toronto Raptors fans out there who still want TJ Ford over Calde

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
If Calderon played like he did last night all the time meaning he's aggressive when the team needs him to be, then I'd take him over Ford cause the only major thing Ford would have on him is defense (and pushing the ball to a lesser extent).

But until he proves that he's willing to do that more, Ford still is the best option to carry the team when Bosh is off and again his defense is far superior (that's more a shot at Calderon).
So you're going to penalize Calderon for growing into the position of starting PG?

What I'm telling you is you don't have time wait and see 'everything' that would personally convince EVERY Raptor fan he's the better option for Toronto. The guy will be gone within 18 months (or sooner) if you (and the Toronto FO) continue vacillate on who's better for your squad.

But hey, if you think your team is better with Ford, sobeit. I'm just stating the obvious when I say other teams will gladly take Calderon off your hands to start somewhere else.
Created Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:57 PM   #17
wizzla11
Kids at the park dunk on me

wizzla11 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Are there really Toronto Raptors fans out there who still want TJ Ford over Calderon?

I doubt with a healthy TJ you'd see a game with 4 raptors with 20 + pts
wizzla11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:58 PM   #18
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Are there really Toronto Raptors fans out there who still want TJ Ford over Calde

Remember the last game Ford played against Atlanta? Remember a couple of those playoff games? Calderon has never carried a team like that. Even last night doesn't come close. Sure, he came up big at key moments and did score 24 points or whatever, but he has never taken over a game like Ford has for the Toronto offense. Add onto that, that Ford's playmaking isn't far behind Calderon's, like I said unless Calderon played like last night all the time, I'll take Ford.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:58 PM   #19
A.M.G.
Dr. Chim Richalds

A.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Are there really Toronto Raptors fans out there who still want TJ Ford over Calderon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEED_ gangsta
TJ Ford= faster, wayyy better defender, better scorer

Jose= better court vision, takes care of the ball alot better, better team player.

I want both!!!
Hey man, good prediction last night on the Raps @ Celts game. You called it first, none of the Raptors fans (including myself) had any confidence that our team could beat the Celts. I imagine you want Boston to start losing so that Detroit can finish #1 in the East. Whatever, as long as your supporting the Raptors!
A.M.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:59 PM   #20
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Created Player
So you're going to penalize Calderon for growing into the position of starting PG?

What I'm telling you is you don't have time wait and see 'everything' that would personally convince EVERY Raptor fan he's the better option for Toronto. The guy will be gone within 18 months (or sooner) if you (and the Toronto FO) continue vacillate on who's better for your squad.

But hey, if you think your team is better with Ford, sobeit. I'm just stating the obvious when I say other teams will gladly take Calderon off your hands to start somewhere else.

Of course they would gladly take him off our hands...that doesn't serve your point. Toronto once had T-Mac and VC. Every team would have been glad to take either of them off our hands.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:59 PM   #21
Created Player
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Old Willy
New Guy just here a week? To use just one example from this thread.

So?
You really don't know who I am?
Old 01-24-2008, 03:01 PM   #22
jaydacris
Rose

jaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

tj ford is also more important in sam mitchell's late game strategies
"get tj the ball, he'll do the rest!" -mitchell
"wut do u want me to do, coach?" -tj
"go go go, play hard!!" -mitchell

i love the beautiful tj ford isolation end game plays
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:04 PM   #23
Created Player
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
Of course they would gladly take him off our hands...that doesn't serve your point. Toronto once had T-Mac and VC. Every team would have been glad to take either of them off our hands.
Yes it does serve my point if I'm telling you Calderon's the OBVIOUS choice for the Raptor long-term. This isn't a small decision here. If the Raptor decide on the wrong guy, it could set their team back 5 or 6 years. Is that the type of risk an organization should be taking?

Why risk when you can be smart?

And to me, the only RISK in this situation is keeping Ford while letting Calderon go. Inversely, being smart is doing the opposite.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:05 PM   #24
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydacris

Bosh ain't complaining if you know how those plays always end up.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:05 PM   #25
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Yes it does serve my point if I'm telling you Calderon's the OBVIOUS choice for the Raptor long-term. This isn't a small decision here. If the Raptor decide on the wrong guy, it could set their team back 5 or 6 years. Is that the type of risk an organization should be taking?

And to me, the only RISK in this situation is keeping Ford while letting Calderon go. Inversely, being smart is doing the opposite.

Because teams would take Calderon, it makes him the obvious choice? What?

They wouldn't take Ford if he's healthy?
Old 01-24-2008, 03:06 PM   #26
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
If the Raptor decide on the wrong guy, it could set their team back 5 or 6 years. Is that the type of risk an organization should be taking?

You're only looking at one side though.

What if they risk keeping Ford and he stays healthy and turns into the star PG that he was on his way to becoming? Great move Raptors.

It's riskier to keep Ford but IMO there is also a much greater possible reward.
Qwyjibo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:11 PM   #27
Created Player
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
You're only looking at one side though.

What if they risk keeping Ford and he stays healthy and turns into the star PG that he was on his way to becoming? Great move Raptors.

It's riskier to keep Ford but IMO there is also a much greater possible reward.
I covered that in my first post. With or without further injury, I believe Calderon has the higher upside. I don't really see how that's not a proven fact.

How many shots per game does Ford take compared to Calderon? You talk about being assertive shooting the ball, but Calderon is doing just that, except he's doing it as a distributor.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:12 PM   #28
Good Old Willy
DBDs

Good Old Willy is considered somewhat coolGood Old Willy is considered somewhat coolGood Old Willy is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
You really don't know who I am?

Good Old Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:15 PM   #29
wizzla11
Kids at the park dunk on me

wizzla11 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydacris

But there shouldn't be a TJ ford iso at the end. He's not good enough for that or smart enough to not take the bad shots cause I've seen him dribble around until he forces up shots at the end of games. Shooting isn't always the right play but TJ will always shoot the ball.
He does play hard.
wizzla11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:16 PM   #30
A Roc 23
Back Better Then Ever

A Roc 23 has decent reputationA Roc 23 has decent reputation

I would take Calderon at this point.

He is about equal in my eyes in passing ability, but he makes smarter passes and turns the ball over less.

Calderon is clearly the better shooter, and I think an elite shooting point guard is important for a player like Chris Bosh to work. Since Calderon has been on this hot shooting streak, Chris Bosh is LEADING THE ENTIRE LEAGUE in field goal %. Now I know he is finally getting healthy and into the flow of the game, but I do contribute a lot of this to Calderon's shooting and the 2 man game that Calderon and Bosh play in the 4th quarter of every game.

Calderon also brings a certain energy and leadership that I don't see in TJ Ford. If Ford is having a bad game he doesn't really help the team in any other way. Calderon, while a worse defender, keeps his intensity up at all times.

Also, Calderon is more consistent and better in the flow of the game. Sometimes TJ Ford throws the whole team off by chucking those stupid free throw line fadeaways. He has quite a few 4-12 games or 3-10 games and those missed shots are hurting the team in more ways then one. Calderon is solid every game and rarely takes a bad shot. That is really important in a point guard in my opinion.

Of course there are points I haven't touched on (i.e. Ford is a better scorer, etc...) but I'm just giving my reasons for choosing Calderon.
A Roc 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: