Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-24-2008, 08:30 PM   #76
b4ball
Local High School Star

b4ball has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Are there really Toronto Raptors fans out there who still want TJ Ford over Calderon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo
Definitely count me as a member of the TJ Ford camp. Jose has been doing a great job lately, but the Raptors offense needs a player with TJ's abilities to compensate for our lack of slashing swingmen. Not to mention that TJ's defense and lateral quickness are critical given how poor some of our post players (I'm looking at you Bargs) are at rotating on help D.

I wish we knew for sure that TJ was going to return to the way he was, because right now Jose is a phenomenal trade asset that could net the Raps a critical piece for a playoff run. Ahhh well, nothing wrong with keeping them both for now.

But we don't know for sure and that's what this is about. With what we know of both players who do you keep, at whatever value they currently have, who you trade?

The consensus seems to be that Jose is the more valuable of the two and thus is more likely to bring us the better player, and TJ with his injury history and current status may not be worth very much as a tradable asset.

I'm clearly on the play it safe side that says we know we have a very good point guard in Jose that is relatively risk free, versus a TJ that is full of risk and has no more potential then a lot of other young point guards that BC can unearth.

What the TJ fans seem to discount is that BC has an eye for point guards. Nobody saw the TJ / Charlie trade coming. Once TJ arrived in Toronto he all of a sudden became the second coming. Now BC has made mistakes before, I mean he traded for Marbury, but he also traded him away as soon as he saw that without a few brain cells it doesn't matter how much raw talent you have.

I think Jose is the man to keep, then bring in another young point guard for Jose to mentor. Now, who would you want to mentor a young point guard, Jose or TJ?

Last edited by b4ball : 01-24-2008 at 08:35 PM.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:36 PM   #77
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Are there really Toronto Raptors fans out there who still want TJ Ford over Calderon?

I'm not sure Marbury is a good comparison to Ford. However, though I disagree you make some good points
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:37 PM   #78
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Are there really Toronto Raptors fans out there who still want TJ Ford over Calde

Quote:
I think Jose is the man to keep and bring in another young point guard for Jose to mentor. Now, who would you want to mentor a young point guard, Jose or TJ?
Neither. Ford is only 24 while Calderon is 26. Why are these guys mentoring anyone?

I'd rather have both being mentored by an older but still decent backup PG if possible. Not garbage like Darrick Martin.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:57 PM   #79
TJ4'D
I hit open 5-footers

TJ4'D has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Are there really Toronto Raptors fans out there who still want TJ Ford over Calde

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4ball
Now I don't think TJ is the smartest point guard around, but even I wouldn’t associate him with the absurd Isiah Thomas.

You do realize that I was comparing him to Isiah when he was playing right? You know, one of the greatest point guards of all time.
TJ4'D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:20 PM   #80
Good Old Willy
DBDs

Good Old Willy is considered somewhat coolGood Old Willy is considered somewhat coolGood Old Willy is considered somewhat cool

Though perhaps known to some here, it should be restated that BC clearly said today that the Raps will resign Calderon in the summer, even though it will cost them "a lot of money" and that he sees no problem in their playing on the same team when and if Ford comes back. He also admitted he is actively looking for a PG now...
Good Old Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:21 PM   #81
Tool
Ball til I fall

Tool is considered somewhat coolTool is considered somewhat cool

I'm going out on a limb and I'm calling it right now so when it happens your all going to shut up and I'm going to say "I told you so". We're keeping both Pgs believe it or not and thats final. Guys like Calderon don't care if they start or come off the bench. MLSE is loaded with money so if we're over the cap you think its a big deal. Colangelo has full control over the team and knowing BC he'll tell the ownership exactly how its going to go with our basketball team.

Ford + Calderon + Bosh + Bargnani= a dynasty

Just wait.
Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:26 PM   #82
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
You cannot be serious...

Having 2 starting caliber players split 48 minutes rather than giving one 35 or so and trading the other to fill other holes is a total mismanagement of resources. Especially for a team that isn't really loaded with surefire talent other than Chris Bosh.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:26 PM   #83
Created Player
Banned

Created Player has an OK reputation so far

The mid-level starts at about 5 or 6 mill. It's going to take more than that to sign him if he continues this sort of play. I'm thinking 6-year 52 mill would be a good starting point. That about what Hinrich and other mid-to-high level PG types are making.
Created Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:35 PM   #84
Molson
Great young streetballer

Molson has an OK reputation so far

I can't beleive this is even a discusion. The only arguement worth discussing is HEALTHY Ford vs Calderon.

Ford as he is now vs Calderon is a no brainer.

Ford is most likely one neck or back injury from retirement. You have to be crazy to pick him over Calderon at this point.
Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:42 PM   #85
bada bing
College star

bada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
You cannot be serious...

Having 2 starting caliber players split 48 minutes rather than giving one 35 or so and trading the other to fill other holes is a total mismanagement of resources. Especially for a team that isn't really loaded with surefire talent other than Chris Bosh.

i would like you to call up fan590 and talk to Chuck during 1-4 pm monday to fridays. I would like to see how chuck replies back to your arguments. if and when you do, let us know so i can listen.

peace.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:43 PM   #86
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Chuck would call Jamario Moon an integral part of the Raptors core and label him untouchable. I'd rather hear from an unbiased and reasonable source.

Chuck will like the Raptors as they are no matter who is on the team, it's his job to suck up when it comes to the Raptors. I, as a fan, want the Raptors to be a great team sometime in the near future. I don't care if it takes trading likable players like Calderon, Ford, Bargnani, Moon, whoever... just become a better team.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:46 PM   #87
bada bing
College star

bada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molson
I can't beleive this is even a discusion. The only arguement worth discussing is HEALTHY Ford vs Calderon.

Ford as he is now vs Calderon is a no brainer.

Ford is most likely one neck or back injury from retirement. You have to be crazy to pick him over Calderon at this point.

exactly. I bet this is also what the Raps FO is thinking. They will resign calderon.

without Calderon, Ford is one fall or one layup away from ending his entire career and ending the Raptor's future. We already have some issues in terms of other positions, but without Calderon we will be in a bigger hole.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:50 PM   #88
Created Player
Banned

Created Player has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by bada bing
exactly. I bet this is also what the Raps FO is thinking. They will resign calderon.

without Calderon, Ford is one fall or one layup away from ending his entire career and ending the Raptor's future. We already have some issues in terms of other positions, but without Calderon we will be in a bigger hole.
They may be outbid for Jose, tho. Have to wait and see.
Created Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:51 PM   #89
bada bing
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Chuck would call Jamario Moon an integral part of the Raptors core and label him untouchable. I'd rather hear from an unbiased and reasonable source.

Chuck will like the Raptors as they are no matter who is on the team, it's his job to suck up when it comes to the Raptors. I, as a fan, want the Raptors to be a great team sometime in the near future. I don't care if it takes trading likable players like Calderon, Ford, Bargnani, Moon, whoever... just become a better team.

as I said, without Calderon the Raptors are not a better team. There is no other discussion to that. Calderon is an integral part of this team. As it stands right now, which should be the discussion, the Raptors badly need Calderon in their rotation. I cannot emphasize that any further.

Maybe the situation will change later, but as of right now, the Raptors need to sign Calderon and keep him on this team.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:54 PM   #90
Bruinlove
Banned

Bruinlove has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool
I'm going out on a limb and I'm calling it right now so when it happens your all going to shut up and I'm going to say "I told you so". We're keeping both Pgs believe it or not and thats final. Guys like Calderon don't care if they start or come off the bench. MLSE is loaded with money so if we're over the cap you think its a big deal. Colangelo has full control over the team and knowing BC he'll tell the ownership exactly how its going to go with our basketball team.

Just wait.

Is this thread proof that Raptors fans are delusional retards?
Bruinlove is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: