Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-24-2008, 11:12 PM   #16
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

Default Re: Phil Jackson: "Detroit Pistons best team in the league"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokee
Phil Jackson, along with alot of other name value coaches have that has-been is still great mentality tho. Same with Riley pretending Shaq is still at the top of his game, and i'm sure more than a few others because they favor aging veterans over young talented players. Its why it took Bynum so long to get respect and time, even then it probably wouldnt have happened nearly as fast this year if it werent for Kwame being hurt. I bet Bynum would've still been a pretty part time player if that never occured due to Phil's bias for scrub veterans over any young player.

Its really not surprising he said that. Hes wrong, very wrong, but its very atypical of Phil or these 'HoFer' coaches that tend to respect the past more than what have you done lately...

Veterans win championships. None of the young teams in the NBA who are playing well now are going to win it this year. Hornets, Blazers, Magic... teams like these will fold in the playoffs against teams with players who deep playoff experience; Pistons, Spurs, Mavs, Celtics.

Even with a healthy Bynum, the Lakers weren't going to win a ring this year. There is a reason coaches don't depend on young, inexperienced players to carry them to a title... because most young players simply aren't dependable.

Pistons or Celtics will be in the ECF, both teams are built around Veterans.

Mavs, Spurs, or Suns will be in the WCF, all of them are built around Veterans.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:12 PM   #17
3stat2
Local High School Star

Stockholm Syndrome, carried over from 4 years ago
3stat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:14 PM   #18
starface
Banned

Quote:
Phil Jackson, along with alot of other name value coaches have that has-been is still great mentality tho. Same with Riley pretending Shaq is still at the top of his game, and i'm sure more than a few others because they favor aging veterans over young talented players. Its why it took Bynum so long to get respect and time, even then it probably wouldnt have happened nearly as fast this year if it werent for Kwame being hurt. I bet Bynum would've still been a pretty part time player if that never occured due to Phil's bias for scrub veterans over any young player.

Its really not surprising he said that. Hes wrong, very wrong, but its very atypical of Phil or these 'HoFer' coaches that tend to respect the past more than what have you done lately...

someone must be a celtics fan.
starface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:02 AM   #19
Smokee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
Veterans win championships. None of the young teams in the NBA who are playing well now are going to win it this year. Hornets, Blazers, Magic... teams like these will fold in the playoffs against teams with players who deep playoff experience; Pistons, Spurs, Mavs, Celtics.

Even with a healthy Bynum, the Lakers weren't going to win a ring this year. There is a reason coaches don't depend on young, inexperienced players to carry them to a title... because most young players simply aren't dependable.

Pistons or Celtics will be in the ECF, both teams are built around Veterans.

Mavs, Spurs, or Suns will be in the WCF, all of them are built around Veterans.

problem is they dont develop people or develop them late. look at Riley stuck with has beens and aging veterans. Look at Larry Brown who couldnt develop anyone because he favored aging veterans so much. I still maintain Bynum could've been a bigger asset last year than he was, and his learning curve could've been faster if it werent for Phil and his mind games, and favoring go nowhere Kwame so much in a go nowhere year.

Alot of the players are the same way. Most think Shaq is still great or dominant, and its like they live in a time warp. most of them would've never acknowledge Paytons vast decline until way way after the fact pretending like he was the same old Payton....

its really to an extreme with some of these coaches/players the way they favor veterans. and its why they arent beyond criticism just because they have won with very talented teams for the most part.

oh and like i said i'd be willing to bet big Pistons will lose early and disappoint alot of people this year. they just dont look like the old Pistons anymore, if anything just flashes.

Last edited by Smokee : 01-25-2008 at 12:06 AM.
Smokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:04 AM   #20
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:

Freaking brilliant...

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:10 AM   #21
Smokee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
Freaking brilliant...

guess you've already forgotten Phil's statement about Bynum motivated this year because of money,

and people pretend this guy is always right or beyond criticism

and its a true downside fact about alot of those coaches.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:12 AM   #22
SoCalMike

Quote:
guess you've already forgotten Phil's statement about Bynum motivated this year because of money,

and people pretend this guy is always right or beyond criticism

and its a true downside fact about alot of those coaches.

Sorry dude, but I am going to respect the opinion of Pjax or pretty much any other NBA coach over you any day of the week. Deal with it.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:13 AM   #23
Smokee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
Sorry dude, but I am going to respect the opinion of Pjax or pretty much any other NBA coach over you any day of the week. Deal with it.

thats cool just know its ignorant to be blindly faithful
Old 01-25-2008, 12:28 AM   #24
SoCalMike

Quote:
thats cool just know its ignorant to be blindly faithful

There is a big difference between blind faith and the opinion of a young kid versus the opinions of seasoned mature and experienced adults.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:51 AM   #25
KempSonics
Local High School Star

Pistons have hit the NBA doldrums the last couple of weeks but I could see a strong case for them being the best team in the league.

I think they're making a trade too and I also think they're bringing Webber back.
KempSonics is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: