Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-25-2008, 02:43 AM   #1
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Showtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation here
Default Hawks recent draft history

...I was looking through the recent draft history, and the team could have looked like this:

Chris Paul
Joe Johnson
Rudy Gay
Josh Smith
Al Jefferson

They also passed on Josh Howard and Iggy. I can't imagine being a fan of that team. I would have committed suicide by now.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:52 AM   #2
A Roc 23
Back Better Then Ever

A Roc 23 has decent reputationA Roc 23 has decent reputation
Default Re: Hawks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime
...I was looking through the recent draft history, and the team could have looked like this:

Chris Paul
Joe Johnson
Rudy Gay
Josh Smith
Al Jefferson

They also passed on Josh Howard and Iggy. I can't imagine being a fan of that team. I would have committed suicide by now.

They would've gotten Josh Howard with the pick they got Diaw with, so they might not have gotten Joe Johnson in that trade.
A Roc 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:54 AM   #3
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Showtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Roc 23
They would've gotten Josh Howard with the pick they got Diaw with, so they might not have gotten Joe Johnson in that trade.
Even so, the first lineup of 5 was still possible.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:55 AM   #4
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

Chris Paul
Joe Johnson
Rudy Gay
Josh Smith
Al Jefferson

So, and the Blazers could have had Jordan. The fact is, all teams have made slip ups in the draft, and the Hawks wouldn't have ended up with all of those guys. Maybe 1 of those extra guys, but then they wouldn't have continued to be as low in the lottery as they were.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:01 AM   #5
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
So, and the Blazers could have had Jordan. The fact is, all teams have made slip ups in the draft, and the Hawks wouldn't have ended up with all of those guys. Maybe 1 of those extra guys, but then they wouldn't have continued to be as low in the lottery as they were.
Some of those players were still avaliable later on in the draft, so even if you take the approach and assume the team would have had a better record with Paul, and therefore couldn't get those other guys, it would still have been possible because 1. You don't know how much better the team would have finished with Paul, and 2. Some of those players were taken several spots later on in the 1st round, meaning they still could have been avaliable even if the hawks had a later pick.

And yes, the blazers could have had MJ, but what I was pointing out was the potential in SEVERAL missed opportunities in just a few years and how much better the team could have been in that short amount of time.

Last edited by Showtime : 01-25-2008 at 04:05 AM.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:21 AM   #6
meh
Decent playground baller

meh has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Hawks recent draft history

The Hawks have had the #3, 11, 5, 2, 6, 17 picks over the last 4 years. To summarize, that's two top-3 picks, five lottery picks, and six picks total. In only FOUR years!

And they still suck... in the east... and they don't even look like they're improving... and they're going to give up their next pick to the Suns.

Thank goodness I'm not a Hawks fan. Or I just might have to stop watching the NBA.
meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:40 AM   #7
kobelamarjackson
High School JV MVP

kobelamarjackson has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

Chris Paul
Joe Johnson
Rudy Gay
Josh Smith
Al Jefferson

you cant think about what ifs. draft picks get busted quite often.
kobelamarjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:44 AM   #8
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobelamarjackson
[/b]

you cant think about what ifs. draft picks get busted quite often.
Yes, I understand the amount of guess work and how things can not work out like expected, but the amount of high picks and quality, sometimes superstar talent, that the hawks have passed up on in just a few years is mindboggling. They possibly could be contending for a title if they had just made a few different choices.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: