Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2008, 11:14 PM   #31
Jimmy2k8
NBA rookie of the year
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,255
Jimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Which team is more talented without their star player: Hornets or Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel J
watch how Odom played on Miami when he controlled the ball



Yeah and that year in Miami(03-04) will be the reason why Odom should never be a Second or 3rd option.

You also forgot about Odom's early years with the Clippers. He's too F*cking inconsistent.
Jimmy2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:20 PM   #32
steve
...
 
steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,860
steve has a terrific reputationsteve has a terrific reputationsteve has a terrific reputationsteve has a terrific reputationsteve has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Which team is more talented without their star player: Hornets or Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy2k8
Yeah and that year in Miami(03-04) will be the reason why Odom should never be a Second or 3rd option.

You also forgot about Odom's early years with the Clippers. He's too F*cking inconsistent.
So you'd rather have him running a team than Bobby Jackson, which is what would happen if the Hornets didn't have Paul.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:21 PM   #33
i cant dunk
Kids at the park dunk on me
 
i cant dunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 229
i cant dunk has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Which team is more talented without their star player: Hornets or Lakers

on paper hornets have a way better team but with out their play maker you don't know how they will play. Same thing can be said about the lakers but even with out bynum the lakers are just one of those teams that can't defeat a decent team.
i cant dunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:22 PM   #34
Jimmy2k8
NBA rookie of the year
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,255
Jimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Which team is more talented without their star player: Hornets or Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve
So you'd rather have him running a team than Bobby Jackson, which is what would happen if the Hornets didn't have Paul.



I wouldn't really care if Jackson was running the Horn Hornet show. Because the Hornets aren't my favourite team...only when they vs against a team I really team.
Jimmy2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:23 PM   #35
K-Mart
High School JV MVP
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 429
K-Mart has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Which team is more talented without their star player: Hornets or Lakers

The Lakers without Kobe are nothing. If they can show me they can win at least a bunch of games in a row I will take my words back.
K-Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:01 AM   #36
Diesel J
NBA lottery pick
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,630
Diesel J has decent reputationDiesel J has decent reputation
Default Re: Which team is more talented without their star player: Hornets or Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
the question said "most talented"...Seeing NO struggle without Paul is because of the pg dominated system they run, not because of lack of talent. NO is easily a more talented team without Kobe. I think people dont understand what talented means.

But whats the use of "talent" if you can't put it together and make it work?NOL while being more talented minus Paul than the Lakers minus Kobe would suck more than the Lakers for the simple fact that the "talent" on NOL can't operate w/o someone like Paul to get them these high quality shots,dunks,etc..The Lakers minus Kobe still have guys that can get other people open shots,mainly Odom.If you let Odom handle the ball he's basically a 6'10 point guard.

PHX is the best comparison to Paul and NOL's.PHX is stacked and probably the most talented team in the NBA but once you take Nash out of the equation all of that "talent" goes down the drain because they have noone to create all of those open shots and dunks they get with Nash in the lineup.
Diesel J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:35 AM   #37
Showtime
Hardwood Hero
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,369
Showtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Which team is more talented without their star player: Hornets or Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
the question said "most talented"...Seeing NO struggle without Paul is because of the pg dominated system they run, not because of lack of talent. NO is easily a more talented team without Kobe. I think people dont understand what talented means.
Talent must translate into play for it to be relevant. JR Smith is talented as hell, but he sucks. Why? Because he can't translate talent into play on the court. The paper roster of the hornets may seem talented, but some players are overrated and some are underrated, and if you tried to make that team work without Paul, it would NOT be even close to the level they are now. Talent must translate onto the court.

The fact is that the Lakers would perform better without Kobe than the Hornets would without Paul. The Lakers are, IMO, the more talented team (also because the lakers have the deeper bench).
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:45 AM   #38
Younggrease
Banned
 
Younggrease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,767
Younggrease has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Which team is more talented without their star player: Hornets or Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime
Talent must translate into play for it to be relevant. JR Smith is talented as hell, but he sucks. Why? Because he can't translate talent into play on the court. The paper roster of the hornets may seem talented, but some players are overrated and some are underrated, and if you tried to make that team work without Paul, it would NOT be even close to the level they are now. Talent must translate onto the court.

The fact is that the Lakers would perform better without Kobe than the Hornets would without Paul. The Lakers are, IMO, the more talented team (also because the lakers are the deeper team).


That doesnt make them more talented.. The more talented team isnt always the better team. No one should be saying if they play each other who is gonna win. That has to do with the systems they run. Talent is the level of the players that surround them. And those players are much better then the lakers players. Chris Paul is getting overrated the same way nash did because he plays in a pg dominated system and when he isnt in the game the team doesnt adjust and therefore looks bad. The same way nash's suns looked bad.

By your logic the fact that nash's suns look bad without him would mean minus Kobe the Lakers are more talented then the Suns minus Nash?? Do you really believe that..if so than there to need to continue this conversation
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:56 AM   #39
steve
...
 
steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,860
steve has a terrific reputationsteve has a terrific reputationsteve has a terrific reputationsteve has a terrific reputationsteve has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Which team is more talented without their star player: Hornets or Lakers

Don't the Lakers have a potential franchise center and another player whose talented enough to be a 5 tool player?
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 01:02 AM   #40
Make It Rain
Banned
 
Make It Rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,472
Make It Rain has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Which team is more talented without their star player: Hornets or Lakers

I'd take Bynum over any of Paul's supporting cast.
Make It Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 01:42 AM   #41
amfirst
Great college starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,612
amfirst has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Which team is more talented without their star player: Hornets or Lakers

Odom at PG, what a disaster. He has good handles for a 6'10 guy, but that doesn't mean he has handles like a guard. He makes bad decisions and causes turn overs with too much dribbles. Guess some people don't watch lak games. The laks would pretty much look like the old Clips.
amfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 01:48 AM   #42
grimreaper1377
Local High School Star
 
grimreaper1377's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,096
grimreaper1377 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Which team is more talented without their star player: Hornets or Lakers

It's actually kinda hard to say on threads like these.

Take the Suns. Say you compared them to another team (like the Lakers) without Nash and Kobe.

SUNS
PG - Barbosa
SG - Bell
SF - Marion
PF - Diaw
C - Stoudemire

LAKERS
PG - Fisher
SG - Ariza??
SF - Walton
PF - Odom
C - Bynum

Raw talent wise, it would seem like the suns are a MUCH better team. But the lakers would win easily.

So it's kinda hard to say - it depends on chemistry and other stuff.
grimreaper1377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 03:07 AM   #43
Showtime
Hardwood Hero
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,369
Showtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Which team is more talented without their star player: Hornets or Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
That doesnt make them more talented.. The more talented team isnt always the better team. No one should be saying if they play each other who is gonna win.

I didn't say anything about them playing each other.

Quote:
That has to do with the systems they run. Talent is the level of the players that surround them. And those players are much better then the lakers players.

IMO, they aren't. The Laker roster has more talent that the Hornet roster. I'd rather have the lakers' roster than the hornet's roster, minus Kobe and Paul.

Quote:
Chris Paul is getting overrated the same way nash did because he plays in a pg dominated system and when he isnt in the game the team doesnt adjust and therefore looks bad. The same way nash's suns looked bad.

So that means that the Hornets have more talent? What is your point here?

Did you watch Paul the past two years, or are you just basing this evaluation on stats you see this season? If you didn't notice, he plays the same way, and is only getting the attention this season because his team is healthy, and they are at the top of the west. Nash, on the other hand, played in Dallas, so people saw how he played in a different system before, so they can say he's overrated because of the system. Paul has played this way for Scott his entire career, with good teammates and bad teammates, so how is he overrated?

This has nothing to do with the topic.

Quote:
By your logic the fact that nash's suns look bad without him would mean minus Kobe the Lakers are more talented then the Suns minus Nash?? Do you really believe that..if so than there to need to continue this conversation

WTF are you talking about? If what you are trying to get at is that the suns without Nash don't play up to the level they do with Nash, and therefore the Lakers have more talent, then you didn't understand what I was trying to point out.

I never said that the Lakers, without Kobe, would perform as well as the suns would without Nash, so again, you are just BS'ing to try to sound intelligent. So whatever point you are trying to make by twisting my logic when it comes to a totally different team is moot.

Last edited by Showtime : 01-27-2008 at 03:18 AM.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 03:10 AM   #44
BIGSHOT
Banned
 
BIGSHOT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 729
BIGSHOT has decent reputation
Default Re: Which team is more talented without their star player: Hornets or Lakers

These threads are pointless. Both teams would suck. Who cares whose team sucks more?
BIGSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 03:12 AM   #45
grimreaper1377
Local High School Star
 
grimreaper1377's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,096
grimreaper1377 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Which team is more talented without their star player: Hornets or Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGSHOT
These threads are pointless. Both teams would suck. Who cares whose team sucks more?

what he said. just close the thread now.
grimreaper1377 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:03 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy