Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Minnesota Timberwolves Forum

Minnesota Timberwolves Forum Minnesota Timberwolves forum - Minnesota T-Wolves message board

Old 01-26-2008, 04:48 PM   #1
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Default Gerald Green wants a trade

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketb...wants_a_trade/

Quote:
Green wants a trade

Wolves declined swingman's option

The agent for the Timberwolves' seldom-used swingman, Gerald Green, an ex-Celtic, hopes to get his client a better playing opportunity in another NBA uniform.

Green's agent, Byron Irvin, told the Globe yesterday that he asked Wolves vice president of basketball operations Kevin McHale and general manager Jim Stack in early January if they would trade his client. Green is making $1.4 million this season and the Wolves have declined his option for next season, thus making him an unrestricted free agent this summer. The trading deadline is Feb. 21.

"I thought it was going to be a formality that they wanted to take his option, especially since he is a player coming out of high school," said Irvin, an ex-NBA player who is Celtics coach Doc Rivers's cousin, in a telephone interview. "His first year he averaged 5 points and his second year he averaged 10. You can see the development and the growth.

"When they didn't take the option, the first question I had immediately is whether he is in Minnesota's long-term goals. You have to give that time to answer the question. And after he hasn't played much through 41 games, I would have to say the answer to that question is no."

Green was the 18th overall pick in the 2005 draft by the Celtics out of Houston Gulf Shores Academy. The athletic 6-foot-8-inch, 200-pounder averaged 5.2 points in 31 games as a rookie with Boston. He averaged 10.4 points in 81 contests last season and won the 2007 All-Star Slam Dunk competition. Lakers star Kobe Bryant said last season that Green "reminds me of myself when I first came into the league."

On July 31, Green, Al Jefferson, Ryan Gomes, Sebastian Telfair, and Theo Ratliff, as well as two first-round picks, were dealt to Minnesota in exchange for Kevin Garnett. The Wolves, however, are very deep in young players and guard-forwards. After scoring 9 points in Minnesota's 87-86 loss to Boston last night, Green is averaging 4.7 points, 2.2 rebounds, 1.1 assists, and 11.9 minutes in 22 games.

"I'm just working hard every day in practice," said Green, who turns 22 today. "A lot of [positivity] comes from my teammates. They just keep telling me to keep working, keep getting better. I have vets like Antoine Walker, Greg Buckner, Mark Madsen, and Michael Doleac who keep me motivated to want to get better. That's all I'm trying to do.

"I'm just trying to look at everything as positive as I can to keep me motivated. Right now is a tough time, but I've got to stay self-motivated."

The Wolves bought out Juwan Howard's contract after he asked for a trade in the preseason but declined Buckner's early-season request to be traded. Through a Wolves spokesperson, Stack said: "At this time of the year, we're having conversations with teams about possible routes through the trade deadline."

When asked about his agent asking for a trade, Green said: "I'm just letting him handle it. I'm just staying focused on today's game and future games. That's something that Byron's going to have to focus on."
Rivers said he believes Green will be a "good player" in the NBA once he develops.

"It's going to take him time," Rivers said Thursday. "You've got to give him time. He's the Slam Dunk champion, not the basketball champion. We've got to let him play. We've got to let him grow. We've got to allow him to be coached.

"He has to keep improving and want to improve. Here, he was doing that. And from what I hear, he was working his butt off there. His time will come."

Said Celtics forward Paul Pierce: "Gerald is still trying to find himself."

Any idea as to where he would go? I'm sure there are some teams in this league that would take a reach on him.
The Big Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:48 PM   #2
FOYE4MVP
minnesota timberwolves

Default Re: Gerald Green wants a trade

we could send him for expirings and draft picks.
FOYE4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:15 PM   #3
twolvesfan
Banned

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/feature...6~16&te=&cash=
that have any possible chance? we get rid of green and ratliff and bring in curry who is better then any craig smith and chris richard and then we could move jefferson to pf
twolvesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:02 PM   #4
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolvesfan
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=2761~687~3194~2997~990&teams=1 8~18~16~16~16&te=&cash=
that have any possible chance? we get rid of green and ratliff and bring in curry who is better then any craig smith and chris richard and then we could move jefferson to pf

I don't think New York would do that, even if they do get cap relief. T-Wolves get much more talent than New York. I think it's possible, though, and that it could be a good idea.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:25 PM   #5
twolvesfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Three
I don't think New York would do that, even if they do get cap relief. T-Wolves get much more talent than New York. I think it's possible, though, and that it could be a good idea.
alright. then how would you feel in a second rounder was thrown in?
twolvesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:40 PM   #6
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolvesfan
alright. then how would you feel in a second rounder was thrown in?

I'm not much of a fan of second rounders, but heck, why not?
Old 01-28-2008, 04:19 PM   #7
ForceOfNature
In It to Win It

Haha Green is not good enough to demand a trade. What does he think he is - an established veteran? He's playing among cubs, and he's not playing that well and on top of all that, he's asking for a trade.
ForceOfNature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:31 PM   #8
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceOfNature
Haha Green is not good enough to demand a trade. What does he think he is - an established veteran? He's playing among cubs, and he's not playing that well and on top of all that, he's asking for a trade.

Co-sign, it's ridiculous. Although I do not think he has a chance to be successful in a Timberwolves jersey, and he needs another start.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:41 PM   #9
pro5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceOfNature

that's what i was thinking. Watch him stay at the end of the bench for the rest of the season.
pro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:38 AM   #10
Beasley30
I airball my layups

Trade Green! Make room for a better small forward. Your 2009 Rookie Of The Year Michael Beasley!
Beasley30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:14 PM   #11
darabzarrabi
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOYE4MVP
we could send him for expirings and draft picks.

haha get real he himself is an expiring and no contender is going to want someone so raw and no rebuilding team is going to trade a pick for a guy that is going to walk for free in a few months anyway.
darabzarrabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:32 PM   #12
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

I think San Antonio might want to look at him, though he probably can't play defense and could be a bust, but he's a potential player, and he's young. We need both. And if he does bad, send him to D-League or just don't play him.

He likely won't come to us though, just a random prediction.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:14 PM   #13
AJ Styles 4Ever
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Gerald Green to miami along with Gomes, Telfair and McCants for Haslem, Smush Parker and a second rounder!
AJ Styles 4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:23 PM   #14
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Styles 4Ever
Gerald Green to miami along with Gomes, Telfair and McCants for Haslem, Smush Parker and a second rounder!

I think you're giving Haslem, Parker, or that second rounder too much value. I don't think that trade would ever happen.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:41 PM   #15
AJ Styles 4Ever
Can barely lace up my sneakers

What about Haslem for Green and telfair?
AJ Styles 4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: