Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Dallas Mavericks Forum

Dallas Mavericks Forum Dallas Mavericks message board - mavs message board - dallas mavericks fan forum

Old 01-28-2008, 06:31 PM   #1
ChrisKreager
Local High School Star

Default The Dark Years

Hello, Mavs fans.

I want to talk a bit about the days before being a Maverick fan was like it is today, considering how good the team is nowadays.

I'm referring to the post-Aguirre, pre-Cuban Mavs- very, very bad, IIRC.

First, how bad were the pre-Cuban and pre-Dirk Mavericks?

Second, how hard was it to be a Mavericks fan during those brutal and terrible years?

Third, what was the official turning point from laughingstock to contender?

Also, how did the Mavs renaissaince change how you guys looked at the team?
ChrisKreager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:27 AM   #2
kentatm
NBA Legend

Default Re: The Dark Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKreager
Hello, Mavs fans.

I want to talk a bit about the days before being a Maverick fan was like it is today, considering how good the team is nowadays.

I'm referring to the post-Aguirre, pre-Cuban Mavs- very, very bad, IIRC.

First, how bad were the pre-Cuban and pre-Dirk Mavericks?

Second, how hard was it to be a Mavericks fan during those brutal and terrible years?

Third, what was the official turning point from laughingstock to contender?

Also, how did the Mavs renaissaince change how you guys looked at the team?

They were considered one of the worst sports franchises of the 90's is how bad they were. It was completely embarrassing and frustrating to watch. Roy Tarply wasting his talents on drugs.... Quinn Buckner and his horrid coaching...The worst was watching injury and ego destroy what should have been a great triple threat in Jason Kidd, Jimmy Jackson and Jamal Mashburn and the rebuilding process that followed.

I was horrible being a fan of theirs at the time b/c I was living in CT and I had to deal w/Celtic, Knick and Nets fans crapping on how awful they were all the time. (this is where my man crush for KVH started BTW)

I felt things were changing the year they went 40-42. The Mavs made a good run at the 8th playoff spot and maybe would have made it had they never added Dennis Rodman as they lost every game he played in and was a major distraction.

The sweetest moment was watching them came from 2 games down to beat the Jazz in 3 straight to win the series.

The only thing that sucks about them being so good now is it was so much more fun back when they first emerged. Reunion Arena and the American Airlines Center were so much louder than the AAC is these days. There are too many cheese and wine crowd types taking up seats (or not even showing up) that never get off their asses and yell. Too many fools take this success for granted.

Last edited by kentatm : 01-30-2008 at 12:29 AM.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: