Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 05-13-2008, 04:30 PM   #1
ForceOfNature
In It to Win It

Default Which system should I buy based on...

My gaming preferences (keep in mind the genres as well as what systems they are on) and my online playing preference? I'm planning on getting either a PS3, 360, or Wii this summer but am undecided on which one to get. Here are games I like or desire:

Grand Theft Auto IV
Super Smash Bros. Brawl - really love it, more so than the other ones
Lost Planet
Gran-Turismo 5
The new Metal Gear Solid
Super Mario Galaxy
Haze
Resident Evil 5
Little Big Planet
Mass Effect

ALSO important: I like playing online, but have grown tired of Halo 3. I've heard the Xbox 360 red rings quite a bit, and that seems like a problem to me. Based on all this and keeping in mind the genres I like, what system do you think I should get?

Last edited by ForceOfNature : 05-13-2008 at 04:39 PM.
ForceOfNature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:39 PM   #2
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: Which system should I buy based on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceOfNature
My gaming preferences (keep in mind the genres as well as what systems they are on) and my online playing preference? I'm planning on getting either a PS3, 360, or Wii this summer but am undecided on which one to get. Here are games I like or desire:

Grand Theft Auto IV
Super Smash Bros. Brawl - really love it, more so than the other ones
Lost Planet
Gran-Turismo 5
The new Metal Gear Solid
Super Mario Galaxy
Haze
Resident Evil 5
Little Big Planet
Mass Effect

ALSO important: I like playing online, but have grown tired of Halo 3. I've heard the Xbox 360 red rings quite a bit, and that seems like a problem to me. Based on all this and keeping in mind the genres I like, what system do you think I should get?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but last I heard, MGS4 is going to be PS3 only. They were discussing a later release on 360, but initially that was not the case. Of course I haven't read about it in a long time, so that could be old news.

And don't you have to pay for 360 online?

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:47 PM   #3
ForceOfNature
In It to Win It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
Correct me if I'm wrong, but last I heard, MGS4 is going to be PS3 only. They were discussing a later release on 360, but initially that was not the case. Of course I haven't read about it in a long time, so that could be old news.

Mathius

Yeah you do, not sure if that's the case with the PS3 online mode though. I'm mostly clueless as to the in-depth specs on the two systems, but I've heard about the red ring problem on the 360, and the worse online play for the PS3. And of course the Wii has the worse graphics.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:52 AM   #4
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius

Mathius
MGS4 is supposed to be on a Blu-Ray too, so unless the XBOX gets updated, then I guess it couldn't be released even if they wanted to due to space limitations.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:43 AM   #5
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Kabong
MGS4 is supposed to be on a Blu-Ray too, so unless the XBOX gets updated, then I guess it couldn't be released even if they wanted to due to space limitations.

Games such as Blue Dragon (3 disc) and Lost Odyssey (4 disc ) are on multiple discs so its possible if Konami wanted to port it over to 360, they have the option of putting it on multiple discs…
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:14 AM   #6
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic R
Games such as Blue Dragon (3 disc) and Lost Odyssey (4 disc ) are on multiple discs so its possible if Konami wanted to port it over to 360, they have the option of putting it on multiple discs…
True, I didn't think of that, but as far as Hideo Kojima has been saying, there's not any chance of it coming out on the 360. I'm pretty bummed about it since Metal Gear Solid have been some of my favourite games since they came out on the PS1.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:35 PM   #7
ForceOfNature
In It to Win It

Guys, I'm leaning toward the PS3 pretty strongly. The red ring problem would just bug the hell out of me (not having the system for that long), I just wish the $400 version of the PS3 would be compatible with PS2 games, I have to pay $100 just for compatibility. How about the $380 PS3 with the 20GB harddrive? Is that alright?
Old 05-16-2008, 06:02 PM   #8
~LA's fine$t~
WIF Champion

I think I'm going to sell my Xbox 360 with Modern Warfare, GTA 4, NBA 2K7 and buy a Playstation 3. That Red Ring worried me too much, already broke for me twice. I don't want it to happen again later on, I'd rather just get some money for my 360 and go buy PS3/GTA 4.
~LA's fine$t~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:59 PM   #9
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Quote:
Guys, I'm leaning toward the PS3 pretty strongly. The red ring problem would just bug the hell out of me (not having the system for that long), I just wish the $400 version of the PS3 would be compatible with PS2 games, I have to pay $100 just for compatibility. How about the $380 PS3 with the 20GB harddrive? Is that alright?

i got the 40Gig PS3 that doesn't have back compatibility. I always said though, I will GLADLY plug my PS2 in to save 100 bucks. It's not that hard you just put the plug outlet in the wall and you can play them all day lol

After i got my PS3 though I just took my PS2 and all those games over my girlfriend's house so I would have something to play when she's busy with stuff.

Anyway my vote goes to PS3
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 07:42 AM   #10
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Quote:

The most "desirable" model of the PS3 would be the 60GB. It has full backwards compatibility, wi-fi, and the card slots. The 20GB also has full backwards compatibility, BUT NO wi-fi (hard wire ethernet only), and no card slots. OF NOTE: the hard drives can be swapped out with certain model laptop HDDs up to sizes of 250GB. (Google can provide the procedure)

The thing is that the 20GB were only available at launch and actually hold their value. Oh the 20GB also has an all black finish. The 60GB has the chrome trim and I think the current 40GB models have an aluminium trim.
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:30 PM   #11
ForceOfNature
In It to Win It

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
i got the 40Gig PS3 that doesn't have back compatibility. I always said though, I will GLADLY plug my PS2 in to save 100 bucks. It's not that hard you just put the plug outlet in the wall and you can play them all day lol

After i got my PS3 though I just took my PS2 and all those games over my girlfriend's house so I would have something to play when she's busy with stuff.

Anyway my vote goes to PS3

Yeah, good point - and I do have the PS2 with old games so I might just think about the 40-gig version.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: