Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Bobcats Forum

Charlotte Bobcats Forum Charlotte Bobcats message board - charlotte bobcats fan forum

Old 10-08-2008, 11:11 PM   #181
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Default Re: Bobcats Off Topic Discussion Thread

I really could've been meaner. Stuff like that pisses me off.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:39 PM   #182
Bobcat4Ever
Six Pack Cat

So for those of us that are in school, how has the year started off for you?

It's going pretty good for me, I am in that whole applying to college process. It can be pretty stressful at times.
Bobcat4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:34 AM   #183
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat4Ever
So for those of us that are in school, how has the year started off for you?

It's going pretty good for me, I am in that whole applying to college process. It can be pretty stressful at times.

Where do you want to go?
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:01 AM   #184
Bobcat4Ever
Six Pack Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
Where do you want to go?

I'm looking at The Citadel, Lenoir Rhyne, and Appalachian State. I want to major in Criminal Justice or Political Science with minor in Criminal Justice. I just think going to The Citadel will get me farther as far as salary and a higher ranking position in Law Enforcement.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:27 AM   #185
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Wow, you must do really well in school. App State and The Citadel are like the Dukes of D-2. Not really, but they are pretty hard to get into. I don't know much about Lenoir-Rhyne, but the safer bet is to go to a University that is pretty well known.

Might I interest you in ECU? They have Criminal Justice and Political Science. I'm taking a POLS course right now and it's actually pretty interesting.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:11 PM   #186
Bobcat4Ever
Six Pack Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
Wow, you must do really well in school. App State and The Citadel are like the Dukes of D-2. Not really, but they are pretty hard to get into. I don't know much about Lenoir-Rhyne, but the safer bet is to go to a University that is pretty well known.

Might I interest you in ECU? They have Criminal Justice and Political Science. I'm taking a POLS course right now and it's actually pretty interesting.

My grades suck lol but I have been told I can get into The Citadel...my family has strong ties to Lenoir Rhyne and donate a fairly sizeable check every year.

And oh yeh, bye bye mother ****in Tommy Bowden and Rob Spence.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Old 10-13-2008, 04:04 PM   #187
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:

I don't think admissions deans allow more than one Bobcats moderator at the same school.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:52 PM   #188
Bobcat4Ever
Six Pack Cat

Did anyone watch the debate last night? And if so, who do you think won?
Old 10-16-2008, 04:05 PM   #189
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

The way I see it, a lot of Americans are too lazy to actually research both candidates, and they just fall for Obama's eloquence like they did with Clinton.

Yes, Obama is an excellent speaker, but can he lead? Can he actually make the decisions? Anyone can talk like a President, but behind closed doors, with no cameras...can he actually do it?

The way he words things is very deceiving. He says all sorts of things about finding new sources of energy, reducing taxes, providing healthcare without taxes and what not...he never actually says he "will." He always says that he'll "look into it" and stuff like that.

Both candidates, as of right now, are going to increase the national debt by another trillion dollars...ok, great, seems to be the norm. The deciding factor on who gets the votes is how they will spend the money. Pork spending won't get it done, neither will spending extra money on imports and such.

Now, maybe this is just me, but we all know Obama has said that he won't "raise" taxes. BUT, if he plans to provide government-funded healthcare, won't the funds come from tax dollars? Won't he have to create a healthcare tax on people who already have it to pay for those who don't? Then he blasts McCain's plan, which would tax the government provided benefits on healthcare. When, if you look at it, isn't bad. If the government grants you a $1000 health care benefit, and taxes, say 30% of it, that's still $700 in your pocket for your health care, along with insurance and such.

Correct me if I'm wrong on that, but that's what I've picked up.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:11 PM   #190
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Man, I'm so tired of talking politics on the OTC. Some of those guys are pretty inciteful, but most of them, Obama supporters all, get extremely defensive if you criticize their man in any way. I'm probably gonna vote for the guy, but I don't expect him to part the Red Sea and lead us to the promised land.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:12 PM   #191
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

Okay, here goes --
Let's say that you work for a company that spends $7500 per year on each employee for health care premiums. McCain will tax you on the $7500 in funds that the employer pays. It will be taxed as income, just as if it had been added to your paycheck instead of spent by your employer on premiums. That means that the tax burden will increase, maybe significantly, on each person in the U.S. who has employer-funded health insurance. Actually, I read that the actual premium per person (or family) averages out at between $10,000 and $12,000 per year. Now add that to your income and see if that doesn't either move you up to another higher tax bracket or keep you at the same bracket but require another two or three thousand dollars a year in taxes out of your pocket. Okay, say that along with all this, McCain "gives" you $5000 to spend on insurance. If you buy your own insurance you will be lucky, even if you are healthy and young, to find insurance that is that cheap. And for someone like me who is older and not perfectly healthy--I pay my own insurance and even with a $5000 co-pay, 30% co-insurance and co-pays on everything, I still pay an additional $9000 per year in premiums (and that will certainly increase as of Jan 1st which may mean that I'll need to allow my health insurance to lapse because I can't afford it). McCain's $5000, which will go directly to the health insurance companies and not to individuals, won't even come close to what it will cost for health insurance. Additionally, one can be certain that some if not many companies will cease to offer health insurance for their employees if they know that there is this $5000 that each employee can spend to purchase their own insurance. Even if that amount is too little to pay premiums. Consider that. Now he does say that he would see to it that people could purchase insurance from companies in other states if those states have cheaper policies. What he doesn't say is that for less money a person could get less coverage. Also, if a certain procedure costs say $5000 in Arizona and the insurance company pays 80% and that same procedure costs $8000 in North Carolina and the insurance company still only pays 80%--guess what--the person in N.C. will pay Much more out-of-pocket for their medical care. The only way cross-state coverage would work would be if every doctor/hospital in the U.S. charged the same amount for the same procedures.
Fat chance.
Secondly, McCain insists that Obama will raise taxes on all Americans. He insists on this even though Obama has stated many times that he will not raise taxes on individuals/small business that earn less than a quarter of a million dollars a year. Why does McCain insist that he knows Obama's plans better than Obama? Also, Obama thinks that the 2/3 of American corporations that pay no taxes (this is a govt. figure) should pay some taxes. He also believes that tax loopholes should be closed. With that done then there would be funds to allow various tax credits for research and development and other business-necessities.
Obama's plan is that one can keep their employer-paid health insurance. But if you are not insured then forming large insurance-purchasing-pools will lower costs because the insurance company's risk is spread out between healthy people and less healthy people. It sort of evens things out. McCain has his nerve blasting Obama for wanting a one-payer govt. sponsored insurance plan (especially when that's not true). What the heck do you think that Senators have? You can bet your sweet bippie that McCain has never had to purchase his own healthcare like us regular folks!!
Comments aside, I hope that this helps to explain at least some of their differences.
onewickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 05:16 PM   #192
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
Man, I'm so tired of talking politics on the OTC. Some of those guys are pretty inciteful, but most of them, Obama supporters all, get extremely defensive if you criticize their man in any way. I'm probably gonna vote for the guy, but I don't expect him to part the Red Sea and lead us to the promised land.

IMO--At least Obama has said that we all have a tough row to hoe in the future and we will all need to suck-it-up and sacrifice. Don't get me wrong because I have tremendous respect for McCain, but I don't think he's being realistic. He still thinks he can balance our budget in four years. It must have been pointed out to Obama that his view was a bit too rosy, too, because in recent weeks he's become more direct with the public telling us directly that things are going to be tough and tough decisions will need to be made.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:47 PM   #193
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

owl, good stuff.

I think I understand it better...but on the chance he removes some taxes from the shelves, or lowers the rates of existing taxes, make room for the healthcare without changing the normal income tax rate?
Old 10-16-2008, 06:02 PM   #194
Bobcat4Ever
Six Pack Cat

OWL, if I have to write a paper for class on the election in the next couple of weeks i'm going to use your work.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:17 PM   #195
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

Quote:
owl, good stuff.

I think I understand it better...but on the chance he removes some taxes from the shelves, or lowers the rates of existing taxes, make room for the healthcare without changing the normal income tax rate?

I think that I remember McCain saying that he wants to increase the tax credit for people with children and possibly cut capital gains taxes on investments. It sounds great but in last night's debate he said something about an across-the-board hatchet to all spending on government programs. That will be on top of spending cuts that most states in economic crisis will make. I know that a fundamental difference between Republicans and Democrats has to do with how much responsibility the Federal government should have for the well-being of American citizens. Republicans and some other folks seem to think that money spent for programs like Medicare, Medicaid, unemployment benefits, disability payments and other 'entitlement' programs are not the responsibility of society towards our elderly, young, disabled, etc. Yes there are cheaters and they should be gotten rid of. But so many people are like my son-in-law who worked full-time since he was 14 and had to retire at age 41 because of MS. He can't work at all and sometimes can't even walk and he needs help with things like his medications that total about $3K a month. It's tough for people like this who cannot make ends meet but who are restricted by Medicaid from saving any money. These programs actually keep people from becoming self-sufficient (bad) while at the same time helping in many ways. So there is much that can be improved and streamlined and it would be great if money can be saved without causing bad consequences to truly sick and needy people. Another point that is important for us to know from both candidates is what exactly they mean by programs that 'don't work.' Are these programs that don't meet results requirements or are they programs that are ideologically repugnant to the candidates?

So many questions.

PS--Bobcat4ever: there are fact-checker web sites and you would be advised to check them so that what we call 'facts' are accurate. It is so easy to let passion dictate how our brains work and interpret what we see and hear! I'm aware of this but am likely guilty at times, too.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: