Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 02-25-2008, 12:00 PM   #76
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

Default Re: Bobcats Off Topic Discussion Thread

Pro ball is pretty slow, so let's talk college. Who do yall think will make the sweet 16? Who will get #1 seeds? Is Memphis overrated b/c of their weak conference? Can Tenn and dook make in deep in the tourney relying so much on the 3? How much better is Carolina b/c of all the injuries? Who should just shut up, K or Roy? And most importantly, who is your favorite to win it all?
TarHeelBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:10 PM   #77
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

Ok, I'm bored so I'm gonna go ahead and answer my own questions to get the discussion started...

Who do yall think will make the sweet 16?

Obviously it partially depends on the seeding but the teams I am very confident will make the Sweet 16 are UNC, Tenn, Memphis, UCLA, Kansas, Texas, dook, and Georgetown... My sleepers for the Sweet 16 that I think could make it depending on their bracket are Clemson, Maryland, Kansas State, and Vandy.

Who will get #1 seeds?
East- UNC or Tenn
South- Memphis
Midwest- Tenn or ACC champ
West- UCLA

If UNC wins out, then they deserve to take the East b/c of location. If the can't win out, then Tenn will take the East and either UNC or dook will probably be #1 in the Midwest. I don't really think UCLA deserves a #1 seed but if they win out and win the Pac-10, they will get it.

The interesting thing to look at is that if UCLA doesn't get a #1 seed, they will probably get a #2. Same goes for UNC and dook in the East (I assume either UNC or dook but not both will get a #1 seed). What I mean is that unless UNC or dook are #1 in the East, one will be the #2 in the East. Because of location, the crowd will be behind UCLA in the West and UNC or dook in the East; so I'd say it would be better for Tenn, for example, to be #1 in another bracket rather than being #1 in the East b/c, trust me, Charlotte will be painted a shade of blue if UNC or dook are #2 in the East.

Is Memphis overrated b/c of their weak conference?
I personally think yes. The Memphis-Tenn game was extremely ugly the other day. And while I think Memphis has as much talent as any team in the country, they don't get the same competition week in and week out that other big programs get. I'd say the same for Tenn but at least they have Vandy, Florida, and Kentucky. I think that they will make it to the Elite 8 but I don't think they have faced enough quality teams to be prepared to make a title run.

Can Tenn and dook make in deep in the tourney relying so much on the 3?

Tenn, yes. Dook, no. The reason being that Tenn is super athletic and, while they shoot a ton of 3s, many of their players are dangerous in many ways, not just the 3. And while Tenn isn't a huge team, they have much more size than dook. Also, dook has recently been exposed and while they will rebound, teams will focus on the wake forest and miami games to find ways to beat them.

And yes, dook beat UNC but UNC was playing terrible ball going into that game and they had just lost their starting PG 2 days prior and hadn't yet adjusted. Since that game, UNC has been dominant. And my argument on that game is this: What would the score have been if UNC had Lawson and dook was forced to start their 3rd string PG (whoever that might be) b/c both Paulus and Nolan Smith were injured? I don't think it's hard to argue that the game wouldn't have been close.

How much better is Carolina b/c of all the injuries?
Infinitely. Q Thomas and Alex Stepheson in particular have benefited tremendously from the injuries to Ty and Deon. Not only are they getting significantly more minutes, but observers can see how much more confident they are becoming. Instead of UNC fans and Roy I'm sure fearing what will happen when Ty needs a rest, we now know that Q can handle the load. In addition, we are now MUCH better in the half court. UNC was dependent on their transition offense for much of the season but with Lawson out, they have adapted and are running the offense to perfection and are moving without the ball. All in all, I wasn't very confident that UNC could go all the way 3-4 weeks ago b/c they just weren't playing that well, now I am extremely confident they are, at worst, a final four team.

Who should just shut up, K or Roy?
I think this has gone on too long and has gone way too far but I think K initiated something he didn't need to and should have just let it be after Roy's initial reaction. Instead he fired back. Thank goodness it's over but I do like that it adds more wood to the fire under the UNC-dook rivalry.

PS - Will Ferrell's comedy show stopped at the Dean Dome this weekend and, as Ron Burgundy, Ferrell interviewed Roy. Here is the classic exchange:

Ron Burgundy: I wouldn't be a respectful news anchor if I didn't bring this up. You and Coach K have been exchanging words lately. I don't know the best way to journalistically phrase this but... Coach K has been acting like a silly little b*tch lately hasn't he?

Roy: Well, I would never disagree with a honest reporter such as yourself.

Classic, imo.

And most importantly, who make it to the Final Four, the Championship game, and who wins it all? (Obviously dependent on the brackets)
Final Four: UNC, Kansas, UCLA, Texas
Finals: UNC vs Kansas
Champ: UNC (maybe it's my bias but you can't say it's a bad pick)

Last edited by TarHeelBorn : 02-25-2008 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:03 PM   #78
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

UNC is probably the most balanced, but I wouldn't put it past UCLA or Tennessee to win it all.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:20 PM   #79
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

How do I change the phrase under my posting name? "Local High School Star" sucks...
Old 03-02-2008, 12:37 PM   #80
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

control panel and user options
Old 03-07-2008, 09:17 AM   #81
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

I was gonna post here about the upcoming UNC-Duke game, but after the tragedy in Chapel Hill b-ball doesn't seem as important. What a senseless waste. I feel for that poor girl's family.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:28 PM   #82
mbushcamp
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Did we trade our 2008 or 2009 2nd round draft pick to the Lakers for Kareem Rush? The original press release stated 2008, but I have seen a couple reports that say it was a 2009 draft pick.
mbushcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:09 PM   #83
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Man I really wanted Duke to get upset again. The game with Clemson was great, and I was able to catch the end of the Belmont game.

Damn Gerald Henderson.
The Big Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:21 PM   #84
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

For those of you that are North Carolina fans, things are looking pretty good right now, Danny Green just hit a 3 to make it 17-12 against Louisville. My bets on them getting back to the National Championship game.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:00 PM   #85
Bobcat4Ever
Six Pack Cat

Screw UNC!
Bobcat4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:24 PM   #86
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat4Ever
Screw UNC!

You're a Clemson fan, right? That was a great win against Duke in the ACC tournament, I just wish they would've beaten UNC too. I go for the underdog in pretty much every college game, I love upsets!
Old 03-31-2008, 05:55 PM   #87
Bobcat4Ever
Six Pack Cat

Final Four

UCLA/Memphis

Kansas/UNC

Who ya got?
Old 03-31-2008, 08:46 PM   #88
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

UNC vs. UCLA with UNC taking it all....even though I'm a Carolina fan, I actually do consider other options.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:55 PM   #89
Bobcat4Ever
Six Pack Cat

I also have that but with UCLA winning
Old 03-31-2008, 10:40 PM   #90
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

Refs have bailed out UCLA too many times. Memphis ROLLED Texas and I see them doing the same to UCLA. I think UNC will beat KU but it's a toss up really. I do hope UCLA beats Memphis though b/c UNC would rock UCLA but Memphis would be a good one.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: