Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-04-2007, 05:51 PM   #1
Fudge
Banned

Default Tyrus Thomas

Which player does his game resemble to? From the past and/or present.

Shawn Kemp. Both had/have tremendous athleticism and is pretty much their main feature of their respective games. Their impact to the game in a somewhat fashion was incredible, esstially with high energy getting up and down the court -- from making a defensive play on one end to making a highlight reel on the other.

Tyrus shows he can develop/improve, very much, especially with an equipped decent inside game, he could make a huge name for himself. Both just played with high energy every game.

I can really see Tyrus blossoming to something similar to Kemp. Personally.

I'm pretty sure there's a bunch of similarities, but this is, eventually, the closest one I know.
Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 06:14 PM   #2
DAXX
I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Default Re: Tyrus Thomas

kind of. no where near kemps ability to get to the rim but probably closest thing. kinda reminds me of kenyon martin alittle
DAXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 06:17 PM   #3
BankShot
3-time NBA All-Star

half kenyon martin, half desmond mason (for the lack of offensive game)
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 06:20 PM   #4
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

Kemp had good handles for a big man, bad comparison.
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 06:23 PM   #5
DAXX

tyrus could develop some handles though he should since he's suppose to be lsited as a small forward
Old 08-04-2007, 06:25 PM   #6
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

If he gains some muscle and develops a better midrange shot....Larry Nance. I dont think hes athletic as Larry Nance was though. And thats saying something....
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 06:44 PM   #7
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

I was going to say Nance too. I don't think Thomas plays quite close enough to the basket in the halfcourt to get to Kemp or Kenyon. He could, but it doesn't seem to be his focuse.

Incidently, Josh Smith also reminds me of Nance, as does Marion a bit, although Marion's handling and ugly shot are bit more refined then Nance ever got.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 07:04 PM   #8
BankShot
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXX
tyrus could develop some handles though he should since he's suppose to be lsited as a small forward

Finally someone that agrees that Tyrus Thomas is indeed a small forward, not a power forward like he's listed or even positioned. His size and lack of any kind of interior offensive presence other than dunking should dictate his place as a SF even though he's a good rebounder and shot blocker. If he had any kind of a jumpshot or could dribble at all, he'd be considered a SF.

Man the Bulls sure as $hit should have kept LaMarcus Aldridge instead of trading him to the Blazers. He'd be perfect for the low-post challenged Bulls. Instead, the Bulls have TWO undersized, offensively challenged, front court players in Wallace and Thomas.

Between the small backcourt of Hinrich/Gordon, and the small frontcourt of Thomas/Wallace, they're always going to have problems with bigger teams like the Pistons or even the new Celtics. Gordon on Allen? Thomas on Garnett? Please.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:13 PM   #9
dak121
College star

Aldridge becomes more and more overrated by the masses every day. Check the stats between the 2 of them. Thomas had similar numbers on a significantly better team. And yet people fall all over themselves selling Aldridge up while constantly trashing Thomas.

And I'm not worried about the Celtics at all. Let them get all of the hype.
dak121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 07:20 PM   #10
BankShot
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak121
Aldridge becomes more and more overrated by the masses every day. Check the stats between the 2 of them. Thomas had similar numbers on a significantly better team. And yet people fall all over themselves selling Aldridge up while constantly trashing Thomas.

And I'm not worried about the Celtics at all. Let them get all of the hype.

But numbers don't tell the whole story, as its in the difference in how they score. I think its a pretty accepted belief that the Bulls really need a low post option on offense, which Tyrus Thomas is not. Don't get me wrong I'm a huge fan of his, and wish him well, but Aldridge would have been a better fit for the Bulls and what they needed.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:24 PM   #11
AirGordon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankShot
Gordon on Allen? Thomas on Garnett? Please.
More like Hinrich on Allen and Big Ben on Garnett
AirGordon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 07:31 PM   #12
dak121
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankShot
But numbers don't tell the whole story, as its in the difference in how they score. I think its a pretty accepted belief that the Bulls really need a low post option on offense, which Tyrus Thomas is not. Don't get me wrong I'm a huge fan of his, and wish him well, but Aldridge would have been a better fit for the Bulls and what they needed.

Thomas is a decent low-post guy. It's not conventional the way he does it but he gets to the free throw line often when he's in the game.(the guy only played 13 minutes a night last year and still had nearly double the amount of FTA than Aldridge) For such a supposed great low-post presence that Aldridge is he rarely gets to the line.

With Thomas, I'm ok with having a guy that's going to get the other team in foul trouble. Not to mention Thomas' defense, where his potential is greatest. Just have to hope that Skiles grows a pair and plays him more this upcoming season. At least Joe Smith isn't as bad as Dirtbag Brown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGordon7
Hinrich on Allen

Love those potential matchups against Boston. Allen hates playing against Hinrich, Deng always plays Pierce well, and there's Noah/Thomas to throw at Garnett, along with Wallace. All Gordon has to do is let Rondo shoot all game and he'll be a nonfactor also. Not worried about the NBDL talent that composes the rest of their squad.

Last edited by dak121 : 08-04-2007 at 07:35 PM.
dak121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 07:33 PM   #13
DAXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLS
No he wouldn't. The Bulls needed freakish athleticism. Tyrus Thomas is a freakish athlete, maybe the best in the game. LaMarcus Aldridge isn't, never was, and never will be a freakish athlete. Thomas impacts the game much more on the defensive end with spectacular blocks and creates fastbreak opportunities, usually finishing them off with monster dunks. Even if Thomas never develops any skills, he'll have much more of an impact than Aldridge with his world class athleticism.

At worst, Thomas turns out to be a 14 ppg 11 rbg 2.7 bpg in his prime.
Something i actually agree with? Yup.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:36 PM   #14
AirGordon7

I would compare him as a smaller but more athletic version of Tyson Chandler.
AirGordon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 08:13 PM   #15
Darius
Good college starter

I like Thomas but the Bulls def. should have taken Aldridge. I still don't understand their rationale.
Darius is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: