Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2006, 02:27 PM   #46
RidonKs
NBA Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Free Hat!
Posts: 17,906
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan803
being 7'1 isn't talented, it's being physically gifted.

if that were the criteria of being an allstar, then what happened to shawn bradley? look, i'm the tallest guy in the gym. i'll dominate anyone i play with.

Co-sign.

Shaq's a great player, but honestly, the guy has extremely limited range, and his repetoire of moves isn't all that big, with most of his points coming off easy dunks where he just backs the guy down, a spin move to the basket, and a few jump hooks and baby jump shots.

Let me put it this way. Give Shaq a 6'10-6'11 body, weaighing in at 270 or so, and you have just an above average CT, a step below Yao, probably like Chris Kaman. His skills just aren't that great.

Now the one thing I will give Shaq, is that he has used every single bit of God-given weight to it's fullest extent. He has developed some very nice footwork to go along with his powerful body, and he has utilized his body possibly more productivly, or as productively as any athlete in sports history. He is a legend, but a lot of that legendary status has to go to the fact that he's just so goddam big.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 02:35 PM   #47
RidonKs
NBA Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Free Hat!
Posts: 17,906
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molson
Talent is defined as "natural abilities or qualities". Nobdy has more natural ability than Lebron. THAT"S why i keep mentioning what he does for his age because his talent will always be the same, but like you said, he needs to hone his talent. so once he does this i can;t imagine how scary he is given the fact that he is so young and hasn;t had the chance to hone his talent.

Well that's what I'm saying. I'd be crazy to deny the fact that LeBron will be, almost undoubtably, the most talented player in the world, and maybe in history, within the next five years. He will surpass every single player that is currently in the league, and he will achieve legendary status. But right now, like you yourself said, that NATURAL ability needs to be honed.

Mind you, I'm talking about MY defintion of talent. I just looked up the real definition and it is what you said. However, the defintion that I'm going by is different. In my opinion, which apparantly differs from Webster's, Natural Ability, and Talent are not the same thing. LeBron has all the natural ability in the world, but he hasn't honed that ability into actual pure, basketball skill.

If we are going by the REAL definition, than I would agree with you, and say that LeBron is the most talented in the L, along with KG and possibly Shaq, given his "natural ability" of being huge.


(Edit: I just looked up the defintion of "skill", and it is what I always associated with the word "talent". So I agree with you for most talented, but disagree with you for most skilled.)

Last edited by RidonKs : 08-04-2006 at 02:37 PM.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 02:52 PM   #48
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™
 
geeWiz15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: limbo
Posts: 5,765
Default

I can't beleive some are calling Kobe the most talented... do you guys think when you say things like this?

Kobe is the hardest working player in the game. He is by FAR the most skilled player in the game. And yet almost anybody will tell you that prime Shaq > prime Kobe, even though Kobe works harder, and is much more skilled. Even if you take away Kobe's crappy attitude, Shaq would still be > Kobe.

Why?

Talent. Shaq's more talented. When you're less skilled, and don't work as hard and you're still the better player, the only way to explain that is, you're more talented.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 02:55 PM   #49
RidonKs
NBA Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Free Hat!
Posts: 17,906
Default

I agree with you completely, like I said in my last post. I was confusing skilled and talented, and that's what got me. If talent means natural ability, than gimme KG, LeBron, or Shaq, over anybody.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:00 PM   #50
Kobe24
Banned
 
Kobe24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Land of 14 NBA Championships
Posts: 6,188
Default

Shaq is really talented,it takes talent to be that tall and that big to catch,shoot over others and dunk. That's not talent.
Kobe24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:01 PM   #51
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator
 
JtotheIzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wolviapolis
Posts: 14,184
Default

talented

adj : showing a natural aptitude for something [syn: gifted]

like I said earlier KB8 and LBJ
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:02 PM   #52
Kobe24
Banned
 
Kobe24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Land of 14 NBA Championships
Posts: 6,188
Default

Shaq is talented because he's big and tall?
Kobe24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:05 PM   #53
Pha Q
Decent playground baller
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 298
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
I can't beleive some are calling Kobe the most talented... do you guys think when you say things like this?

Kobe is the hardest working player in the game. He is by FAR the most skilled player in the game. And yet almost anybody will tell you that prime Shaq > prime Kobe, even though Kobe works harder, and is much more skilled. Even if you take away Kobe's crappy attitude, Shaq would still be > Kobe.

Why?

Talent. Shaq's more talented. When you're less skilled, and don't work as hard and you're still the better player, the only way to explain that is, you're more talented.



Your a dumb**** I swear....studpid @ss mother ****** how can you say Shaq is talented when he cant even shoot a ******* freethrow? Learn to think before you speak *****....
Pha Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:07 PM   #54
RidonKs
NBA Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Free Hat!
Posts: 17,906
Default

It's Natural characteristics man. That means that, yes, the fact that he is big and tall make him talented.

The word you are looking for is skilled.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:10 PM   #55
Molson
Great young streetballer
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 354
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
Well that's what I'm saying. I'd be crazy to deny the fact that LeBron will be, almost undoubtably, the most talented player in the world, and maybe in history, within the next five years. He will surpass every single player that is currently in the league, and he will achieve legendary status. But right now, like you yourself said, that NATURAL ability needs to be honed.

Mind you, I'm talking about MY defintion of talent. I just looked up the real definition and it is what you said. However, the defintion that I'm going by is different. In my opinion, which apparantly differs from Webster's, Natural Ability, and Talent are not the same thing. LeBron has all the natural ability in the world, but he hasn't honed that ability into actual pure, basketball skill.

If we are going by the REAL definition, than I would agree with you, and say that LeBron is the most talented in the L, along with KG and possibly Shaq, given his "natural ability" of being huge.


(Edit: I just looked up the defintion of "skill", and it is what I always associated with the word "talent". So I agree with you for most talented, but disagree with you for most skilled.)

I hear what yer saying man. We are bascially on the same page, just diff definitions of talent.
Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:10 PM   #56
RidonKs
NBA Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Free Hat!
Posts: 17,906
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pha Q
Your a dumb**** I swear....studpid @ss mother ****** how can you say Shaq is talented when he cant even shoot a ******* freethrow? Learn to think before you speak *****....

You have more sensored words than non-sensored words. Good work.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:12 PM   #57
Molson
Great young streetballer
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 354
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pha Q
Your a dumb**** I swear....studpid @ss mother ****** how can you say Shaq is talented when he cant even shoot a ******* freethrow? Learn to think before you speak *****....

So Shaq has no talent? He's just big and has absolutely no talent?
Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:18 PM   #58
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator
 
JtotheIzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wolviapolis
Posts: 14,184
Default

there is a lot more to talent than just dominating games.

Shaq dominates with very few 'gifts' (mainly size and power).

Players like LeBron and Kobe can handle the ball better, shoot better, are more versatile, better athletes, they have a lot more 'gifts' hence they have a lot more talent.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:28 PM   #59
Molson
Great young streetballer
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 354
Default

My pick was originally Lebron but i find it amazing people think shaq is only good because of his size. His coordination for a man his size is amazing. His understanding of his body and what he can and can;t do with it is great. His insticts for the game are solid.

He has gifts outside of his size that make him who he is. There have been more than a few players close to or shaq'a size that have been able to do nothing. Shaq'a a heck of an athlete.

so how much talent did wilt chamberlain have? He played in an era where everyone was much smaller than him. I guess he did it with size and power only? no talent?
Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:31 PM   #60
SCdac
Very good NBA starter
 
SCdac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 8,303
Default

I hate these incredibly dull and subjective questions. Little one liners like "wHo is thE bestest plaYer in thE NBA?". No criteria or anything. No explanation. It just starts off what could be a good thread on the wrong foot. Everybody just ends up arguing and b1tching because the question is so vague in the first place.
SCdac is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:32 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy