Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2006, 03:32 PM   #61
Molson
Great young streetballer
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 354
Default

K, i take back the more than a few guys shaq's size.
Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:33 PM   #62
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator
 
JtotheIzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wolviapolis
Posts: 14,195
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molson
so how much talent did wilt chamberlain have? He played in an era where everyone was much smaller than him. I guess he did it with size and power only? no talent?

whatever dude Wilt was a sick athlete, way better than Shaq could ever imagine

Quote:
Wilt Chamberlain, the leading scorer at the 1957 Final Four for national runner-up Kansas, was also a track athlete who participated in three events in college (high jump, triple jump and shot put). He was especially adept in the high jump, winning the 1957 Big Eight Conference outdoor title (6-5), tying for first in the 1957 Drake Relays (6-6 1/2) and tying for first in the 1958 Big Eight indoor title with what was then a school record (6-6 3/4). Chamberlain also played professional volleyball after spending 14 seasons in the NBA.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:35 PM   #63
jan803
High school junior varsity star
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 184
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molson
My pick was originally Lebron but i find it amazing people think shaq is only good because of his size. His coordination for a man his size is amazing. His understanding of his body and what he can and can;t do with it is great. His insticts for the game are solid.

He has gifts outside of his size that make him who he is. There have been more than a few players close to or shaq'a size that have been able to do nothing. Shaq'a a heck of an athlete.

so how much talent did wilt chamberlain have? He played in an era where everyone was much smaller than him. I guess he did it with size and power only? no talent?

wilt was a track star. he was an avid volleyball player. played beach volleyball.

wilt was an athlete.
jan803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:36 PM   #64
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™
 
geeWiz15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: limbo
Posts: 5,765
Default

You guys don't know what talent is. I've already explained this to you people. Why don't you guys break out a dictionary and figure it out for yourself or find i seen hippos' post.

Quote:
Shaq is really talented,it takes talent to be that tall and that big to catch,shoot over others and dunk. That's not talent.
YES, it IS.

Quote:
Shaq is talented because he's big and tall?
YES.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:40 PM   #65
AKA AAP
Banned
 
AKA AAP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
I can't beleive some are calling Kobe the most talented... do you guys think when you say things like this?

Kobe is the hardest working player in the game. He is by FAR the most skilled player in the game. And yet almost anybody will tell you that prime Shaq > prime Kobe, even though Kobe works harder, and is much more skilled. Even if you take away Kobe's crappy attitude, Shaq would still be > Kobe.

Why?

Talent. Shaq's more talented. When you're less skilled, and don't work as hard and you're still the better player, the only way to explain that is, you're more talented.

What makes you think he's the hardest working player in the game? The Kobe propaganda team? Just because ONE player has an agenda to make his workouts public, doesn't mean other players aren't working harder...
AKA AAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:51 PM   #66
Molson
Great young streetballer
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 354
Default

You guys just don't get what I am saying. OF COURSE WILT WAS TALENTED! That was my point. Just because he is big and dominant doesn't make him untalented.

Shaq is talented in what he does.

Wilt was a long jump and high jump track star right? That's based on my memory so i coudl be wrong...but if that was the case, then based on your arguements about shaq having no talent, woudl you say Wilt had no talent in track and only got by because he was 7 feet tall? I'm sure in VBall Wilt was a power hitter. So i guess he just got by on his szie and had no talent in volleyball? That's just based on your assessment of Shaq having no talent and only getting by on size.
Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 04:10 PM   #67
Ricardo Tubbs
High School JV MVP
 
Ricardo Tubbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Miami
Posts: 213
Default

Vince Carter is more talented than Kobe and I will believe that until I die.

Quote:
Kobe is the hardest working player in the game. He is by FAR the most skilled player in the game.

You're an idiot. Steve Nash is "by FAR" the most skilled player in the game. Steve Nash is top-5 (maybe even the top) in history in terms of pure basketball skills.
Ricardo Tubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 04:16 PM   #68
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness
 
Jailblazers7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 23,191
Default

1. Lebron-
he is incredibley gifted physically and has great ballhandling and passing and is a triple double threat everynight

2. KG-
he revolutionized the game for big men because he was the first big that really could handle and took it outside and did it straight outta high school
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 02:38 AM   #69
Human Error
Proves idiots wrong
 
Human Error's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan803
being 7'1 isn't talented, it's being physically gifted.

if that were the criteria of being an allstar, then what happened to shawn bradley? look, i'm the tallest guy in the gym.
Bradley just didn't utlize his talent to his ceiling and that's all.

And give me one person who can teach height and then I wouldn't think that being tall isn't part of talent. In basketball, there's no bigger talent than being a physical speciman in the first place. You see Shaq, and you just know he'll be a dominant force.

And how "being physically gifted" is different than "being talented"? When you're 7-1, 325 lbs and your vertical is over 35 inches, you're talented to play basketball.

Kids these days(shakes head)...
Human Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 02:41 AM   #70
Human Error
Proves idiots wrong
 
Human Error's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
Let me put it this way. Give Shaq a 6'10-6'11 body, weaighing in at 270 or so, and you have just an above average CT, a step below Yao, probably like Chris Kaman. His skills just aren't that great.
Why we have to give Shaq a 6-10 body when size is the biggest talent in basketball? Ok, give Kobe a body of Muggsy Bogues and there's no way Kobe is playing in the NBA. But that doesn't mean that Bogues is more talented than Kobe.

You guys should realize that size is part of TALENT, just like athleticism and the ability to walk without falling your ass down are. Period.

Last edited by Human Error : 08-05-2006 at 06:15 AM.
Human Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 02:44 AM   #71
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater
 
XxNeXuSxX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UConn
Posts: 7,998
Default

It's gotta be KG.
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 02:46 AM   #72
Human Error
Proves idiots wrong
 
Human Error's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
there is a lot more to talent than just dominating games.

Shaq dominates with very few 'gifts' (mainly size and power).

Players like LeBron can handle the ball better, shoot better, are more versatile, better athletes, they have a lot more 'gifts' hence they have a lot more talent.
Your logic is seriously flawed.

Between Shaq and LeBron, who do you think spent more time practicing shooting and dribbling?

You guys have been criticizing Shaq for being lazy and for not being a gym rat, but he's one of the best in history when he didn't even need to practice a lot. Isn't that enough to make him a talented player?
Human Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 06:50 AM   #73
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator
 
JtotheIzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wolviapolis
Posts: 14,195
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Error
Your logic is seriously flawed.

Between Shaq and LeBron, who do you think spent more time practicing shooting and dribbling?

You guys have been criticizing Shaq for being lazy and for not being a gym rat, but he's one of the best in history when he didn't even need to practice a lot. Isn't that enough to make him a talented player?
Never criticized Shaq for being lazy ever.

And btw Shaq practiced a lot. He used to do 1000 calf raises a day and work endlessly on his footwork his first few years in the league. Once he got older rest became more important for fear he may break down, so the workouts became fewer.

Where we differ is in our application of the word talented.

I view it as a multifaceted thing, like 'he has a lot of talent.' You are using it in an overall sense 'he is really good at ****.'

This argument could go on forever essentially since Shaq is so good at the things he does you will never be wrong, and since I feel that Kobe and LBJ can set the bar higher than anyone currently in the league, I feel they are the most talented (also please do not forget that Shaq isnt his old self and the question is: "who are..?", not "who were..?")

Shaq was the most dominant and effective player I have ever seen in my lifetime (MJ included) so I see your point, but today I think KB8 and LBJ are more talented.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 07:37 AM   #74
Human Error
Proves idiots wrong
 
Human Error's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
Shaq was the most dominant and effective player I have ever seen in my lifetime (MJ included) so I see your point, but today I think KB8 and LBJ are more talented.
Talent is hard to describe, but at least we can agree that it's something you're born with, and if it's something you're born with, age shouldn't play a role gauging it.

Shaq was born with more than anybody and it's not that hard to understand. He was just born to be a basketball player.

Would you say that OJ Mayo and Kevin Durant are more talented than Greg Oden because they're more versatile? I would have to disagree.
Human Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:06 PM   #75
mmmarvinsays
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
mmmarvinsays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 18
Default Re: Who Are The 2 Most Talented Players

Kobe is a first but second can be anyone.... Wade, Garnett, James
mmmarvinsays is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:54 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy