Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Memphis Grizzlies Forum

Memphis Grizzlies Forum Memphis Grizzlies forum - Memphis Grizzlies message board

Old 01-31-2008, 02:10 PM   #1
StroShow4
Certified ISHiot.

StroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Swift to be traded?

i just came across this article, sounds like Stro may not be a Grizzly for much longer:

Quote:
Grizzlies notebook: Trade talk involving Swift heats up again

By Ronald Tillery
Thursday, January 31, 2008

Stromile Swift may not work in a Grizzlies uniform much longer once he returns today from a team-imposed, one-game suspension.
Stromile Swift

The on-again, off-again flirtation with potential trades involving Swift were on again Wednesday, although totally unrelated to the recent disciplinary action against the forward/center.

Memphis was considering at least two proposals, although no deal appeared imminent.

Griz general manager Chris Wallace would not comment on the team's potential dealings. Memphis, however, is said to be active. The NBA trade deadline is Feb. 21.

Swift did not attend the Grizzlies' game Wednesday night against the Denver Nuggets. The suspension called for him to stay out of the building and to be fined a game's pay.

Coach Marc Iavaroni insisted on the suspension for what he called "conduct detrimental to the team" after a verbal disagreement during the Grizzlies' loss Monday against Dallas.

Iavaroni reportedly expressed his displeasure with Swift's body language and readiness to play. Swift then responded in a manner Iavaroni deemed inappropriate.

Swift still may appeal the suspension through the players' association to recover lost wages.

It is not known which teams are interested in Swift.

Past interest indicates New Jersey might emerge as one suitor. Earlier this season, the Griz are said to have turned down a deal that would have sent Swift to the Nets for Jamaal Magloire, who is in the final year of a deal that pays $4million.

Swift will be paid $5.8 million this season and has a player option at $6.2 million for next season.

All-Star nods

The NBA All-Star Rookie Challenge will feature sophomore forward Rudy Gay, and rookie guards Mike Conley and Juan Carlos Navarro. The Grizzlies' trio was among 15 players selected to play Feb. 15 in New Orleans.

The participants were selected by the NBA's assistant coaches, with each team submitting one ballot.

The head coaches for the Rookie and Sophomore teams will be the lead assistants from the NBA All-Star Game coaching staffs.

Gay also will participate in the dunk contest, while Navarro is hoping to be selected for the 3-point shootout.

Numbers game

The Grizzlies' roster size was 12 on Wednesday after they chose not to sign Bobby Jones for the remainder of the season.

But they had just nine available players, with Swift suspended and Mike Conley (chest/rib) and Pau Gasol (back) on the inactive list.

Wallace said he would look to replace Jones.

"We'll fill the spot," Wallace said. "We're vulnerable at point guard. Obviously, that's our more pressing need."

Second-year guard Kyle Lowry is currently the team's only active point guard.
StroShow4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:18 PM   #2
berraco
Darko The Ripper

berraco has decent reputationberraco has decent reputation
Default Re: Swift to be traded?

Yeah, I read that a few hours ago. I think a trade would be for good for both Swift and the team. Just wondering if NJ would be still interested in him.
berraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:23 PM   #3
StroShow4
Certified ISHiot.

StroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by berraco
Yeah, I read that a few hours ago. I think a trade would be for good for both Swift and the team. Just wondering if NJ would be still interested in him.

i think swift would be fine in memphis if coach would just let him play. he was doing pretty well this season actually. in preseason i thought he showed he deserved to start over darko, and it turns out Ivy decides to start darko and eventually put swift in the doghouse. oh well. at this point you're probably right, a trade could benefit both him and the team. i hope if he gets traded he goes to a team that can actually use him.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:26 PM   #4
jailer
MillionDollarException

jailer has an OK reputation so far

Yeah but swift has always had issues.Like back when bonzi got into it with fratello.J-wil and swift were both supporters of his views.Then the next year all of those guys were gone.He just has problems with systems that dont fit him then he expresses his feelings and gets in trouble.
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:40 PM   #5
StroShow4
Certified ISHiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailer
Yeah but swift has always had issues.Like back when bonzi got into it with fratello.J-wil and swift were both supporters of his views.Then the next year all of those guys were gone.He just has problems with systems that dont fit him then he expresses his feelings and gets in trouble.

i disagree. other than that one thing with bonzi when has swift ever "had issues"? he's not known as the type to speak his mind, he's been quiet for his entire career.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:14 PM   #6
berraco
Darko The Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by StroShow4
i think swift would be fine in memphis if coach would just let him play. he was doing pretty well this season actually. in preseason i thought he showed he deserved to start over darko, and it turns out Ivy decides to start darko and eventually put swift in the doghouse. oh well. at this point you're probably right, a trade could benefit both him and the team. i hope if he gets traded he goes to a team that can actually use him.

Any ideas? I can't think anyone really good for both parties.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:42 PM   #7
StroShow4
Certified ISHiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berraco
Any ideas? I can't think anyone really good for both parties.

good fits for swift imo would be phx, golden state, new jersey (as long as they have kidd), boston, new orleans... hell any team that moves the ball around or has a half decent point gaurd who can set up a big for open shots would be fine. swift's main problem in memphis is no one will throw him the ball even when he does get to play. bunch of ballhogs out on the court with him, and he isn't looking to create shots off the dribble.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:46 PM   #8
TJ4'D
I hit open 5-footers

TJ4'D has an OK reputation so far

If Swift leaves, does that mean you are no longer a Memphis fan? This is dircted at Stro obviously.
TJ4'D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:02 PM   #9
StroShow4
Certified ISHiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ4'D
If Swift leaves, does that mean you are no longer a Memphis fan? This is dircted at Stro obviously.

i never really considered myself a true memphis fan since i only support the team because swift is on it.. but as long as he plays for the grizz i will watch the games and support the team, if he leaves i will no longer have any reason to watch the games or support the team.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:09 PM   #10
StroShow4
Certified ISHiot.

i found this new info/quote from ronald tillery on the grizzlies message board:

Quote:
The New Jersey Nets continue to make a push for Stromile Swift, and have apparently offered center Jason Collins this time. It is not known if this is a straight-up proposal. But it could be (unlike the one Memphis turned down earlier this season involving Jamaal Magloire and other players) because Collins and Swiftís salaries essentially are equal this season and next.

As of this morning, however, the Grizzlies balked at acquiring Collins. The Griz coaching staff is said to be less enamored with Collins, who is not even as athletic as Darko Milicic.

Swift, meanwhile, returned to practice Thursday ready to put his one-game suspension behind him. The 6-9 forward/center did say, however, that itís time to move on if the Grizzlies donít intend to play him.

Stay tuned.

i guess swift wants out if Ivy is going to bench him.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:10 PM   #11
jailer
MillionDollarException

jailer has an OK reputation so far

Swift has always had motivational problems.Everyone knows that.That in its self is a huge issue. Everyone thought gay would be the same way. Except gay has comeout and proved everyone wrong.He is living up to his potential. Swift on the other hand never reached or even came close to it. He has been a bust and a cance to this squad. He didnt want to be here thats why he left in the first place. Warrik is a copy of swift except he has wants to improve himself. Hopefully we can get someone to help the grizz out.
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:15 PM   #12
StroShow4
Certified ISHiot.

^we all know swift never became the player than many thought he would be, but a cancer? come on, he was around when memphis made the playoffs. just because he didn't reach his supposed "potential" doesn't make him a "cancer".. he's never even opened his mouth in his 8 years in the league until now, and honestly i would be frustrated if i was him too. i think he's an overall good guy who doesnt want to cause problems. the team sucks, everyone is unhappy, people will disagree, thats what happens when you lose.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:19 PM   #13
StroShow4
Certified ISHiot.

more new info i got from the grizzlies message board..

Quote:
The New Jersey Nets are close to an agreement to acquire Stromile Swift from Memphis for center Jason Collins, league sources have told CBSSports.com.
Swift was suspended for Wednesday's loss to Denver for conduct detrimental to the team after he and first-year coach Marc Iavaroni exchanged words earlier this week. This move is said to have nothing to do with that incident, although the deal certainly has the feel of two franchises eager to move in a new direction.

Collins, under contract through next season as a result of a five-year, $25 million extension signed in 2004, lost his starting spot in Lawrence Frank's frontcourt youth movement due to the emergence of Sean Williams and Josh Boone.

Swift had been splitting time with Darko Milicic alongside Pau Gasol in Iavaroni's bigger lineups, and has a player option for $6.2 million for next season.

While Collins doesn't necessarily fit the run-and-gun style the Grizzlies employ, he would automatically become their most proficient post defender and one of their better rebounders.

Swift, the No. 2 pick of the 2000 draft, has long been an intriguing prospect coveted by those who feel he would fare better given a change of scenery. Combined with Williams and Boone, he'd round out an extremely athletic post contingent that's expected to be bolstered by the imminent return of Nenad Krstic (knee).

With a Jason Kidd deal looming by the Feb. 21 trade deadline, the acquisition of Swift would indicate that the Nets are eager to forge ahead with a new blueprint. Another potential twist could see them dangling Swift, who for the reasons stated earlier, might be more attractive to teams willing to facilitate a deal for Kidd by in a multi-team trade

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nba/story/10611417/rss

Last edited by StroShow4 : 01-31-2008 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:33 AM   #14
berraco
Darko The Ripper

If Memphis just want to get rid of Stromile, I would do it, because it doesn't change so much the situation (in terms of game and financial). If they are trying to get something useful in return, I don't like it. Collins doesn't fit here.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:39 AM   #15
StroShow4
Certified ISHiot.

Quote:
Looks like Stro is gone in a trade for Jason Collins (see below). Collins is a 7' center with few rebounds and points per game. Also at $6 million contract. What do you think this means for Grizz. Is another trade on the way...three 7'...two of which don't score. Just what we need. How tough is this guy at 7' and 260lbs.

Stromile Swift | Grizzlies
The Nets are set to acquire athletic 6-foot-10 forward Stromile Swift from the Memphis Grizzlies for Jason Collins, league sources said.
The deal was being worked on Thursday night and could be finalized today or sometime over the weekend. -- The Record

Swift can help the Nets with his length, shot blocking and athletic ability. Playing with Jason Kidd, he could do some exciting things. But who knows how long Kidd will be around.
It's possible the Nets did this move to try and appease him since Kidd wants guys running alongside him. It could be too little, too late, however. -- The Record

This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: