Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Memphis Grizzlies Forum

Memphis Grizzlies Forum Memphis Grizzlies forum - Memphis Grizzlies message board

Old 02-02-2008, 11:31 AM   #1
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

gasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat cool
Default What to do now?

The Grizz have done the unthinkable and gave up the face of the franchise since moving to Memphis for a $9 million expirer. Current lineup is:

C - Darko / Kwame / Collins
PF - Gay / Warrick
SF - Miller / Jacobsen / Cardinal
SG - Navarro
PG - Conley / Lowry

I just don't understand why for the past 2 years the Grizz didn't know if they were going to blow up the team or try and add more pieces. When the grizz lost to the mavs, they traded battier which I thought was pretty nice and will give a legit star with Pau to work with. Though this pushed the franchise a couple of years back.

2 years later we come to 2008 and rudy gay is playing (and ballhogging) like a star. Earlier during the season, we sign Darko which again I thought was good cause we have 2 legit 7ftrs in our starting 5. We draft conley and now we have a legit pg. Signing darko and drafting conley moves us back at most a couple of years and hopefully Pau and Miller are still in their primes when they start to contribute. We also bring in Navarro to appease Pau that the Grizz are trying to win now or in the near future.

Then we have this retard of a coach who can't use this well balanced halfcourt team. He waives kinsey who was the best defender of the team, signs bobby jones as a replacement, then lets him go. He signs jacobsen who is best at taking hits at his blog from disgruntled kinsey fans. He puts Swift and Warrick in doghouses and leaves them there.

Now this.

How do they expect Grizz fans to be fans at all?

C - Darko
PF - Warrick
SF - Gay
SG - 2008 lottery
PG - Conley / Lowry

We are stuck with this one for a while
gasolina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:07 PM   #2
Robster89
Serious playground baller

Robster89 has decent reputationRobster89 has decent reputation
Default Re: What to do now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasolina
The Grizz have done the unthinkable and gave up the face of the franchise since moving to Memphis for a $9 million expirer. Current lineup is:

PF - Gay / Warrick
SG - Navarro
PG - Conley / Lowry

I just don't understand why for the past 2 years the Grizz didn't know if they were going to blow up the team or try and add more pieces. When the grizz lost to the mavs, they traded battier which I thought was pretty nice and will give a legit star with Pau to work with. Though this pushed the franchise a couple of years back.

2 years later we come to 2008 and rudy gay is playing (and ballhogging) like a star. Earlier during the season, we sign Darko which again I thought was good cause we have 2 legit 7ftrs in our starting 5. We draft conley and now we have a legit pg. Signing darko and drafting conley moves us back at most a couple of years and hopefully Pau and Miller are still in their primes when they start to contribute. We also bring in Navarro to appease Pau that the Grizz are trying to win now or in the near future.

Then we have this retard of a coach who can't use this well balanced halfcourt team. He waives kinsey who was the best defender of the team, signs bobby jones as a replacement, then lets him go. He signs jacobsen who is best at taking hits at his blog from disgruntled kinsey fans. He puts Swift and Warrick in doghouses and leaves them there.

Now this.

How do they expect Grizz fans to be fans at all?

C - Darko
PF - Warrick
SF - Gay
SG - 2008 lottery
PG - Conley / Lowry

We are stuck with this one for a while

I understand your frustration, but give your team a chance.
I'm here from the Laker board, so I'm thankful for Gasol.
But, I'm not here to boast.
You guys are going to take a lot of heat for "giving" us Gasol.
But let me tell you, I don't think its as bad a trade for you guys as everyone may think.
Crittendon is going to be an all star, I have no doubt of that.
Its just going to take some time. You need to be patient.
He and Conley can be a very lethal combo down the road.
Conley is a true PG, Critt is more a combo guard. He can play the point but he';s big enough (6'5) to play SG. He actually a lot like Mayo.
Both Conley and Critt are 20 years old. In another era, they'd be sophomores in college.

I hope you guys get the first pic. Now that your well set at the guard positions, a guy like Beasley would be a great fit.
Conley, Critt, Gay and Beasley would be an outstanding young core.
It will just take some time for these incredibly young talents to develope.
The fact is you guys have made great pics in the draft (Jerry West's influence).

Another important aspect of the Gasol trade is it put you about 15 mil under ste cap this offseason. Very few teams have any money to spend, so it will be a buyers market. A great position to be in.
I could see you guys making a run at Marion, Brand or several others, and there's almost no one with the coin to challenge you for them.

You know, I see so many teams who always seem to be mediocre.
Look at the Nets. I just saw a report that they wanted players for JKidd that would help them get to the playoffs this year. That's a stupid move. They could have had a similar deal to the Gasol deal from the Lakers. (I'm now glad they passed). The Nets kind of thinking is idiotic, and as result, they will continue to mire in mediocrity after they trade Kidd.

Getting expiring deals, a young guy with a ton of upside, and draft pics is the way to do it.
You guys were going nowhere as constituted, so you moved you star (and biggest salary) for expiring, a young guy with upside, and draft pics.
I respect your team for this, because your not playing to me mediocre. Your playing to be great. And with this cap space, spent wisely, and all these young talents you have (developed with patience), you guys may very well be great one day.
You just need to be patient, hope for that high pic, use your pics wisely (you can get a nice role player with the Laker pics).
Support your team, they are young but they are (and will be even more), super talented. You'll have ups and downs, but you could create something truly amazing down the road.
Peace.
Robster89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:29 PM   #3
StroShow4
Certified ISHiot.

StroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

i understand what the grizzlies did trading gasol, it saved them alot of money, but good god that is a TERRIBLE roster. the grizz don't exactly have a strong fanbase as it is, and this trade isn't going to help that for the time being... so they better get the rebuilding moving quickly and use that extra money wisely.
StroShow4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:08 PM   #4
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

gasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by StroShow4
i understand what the grizzlies did trading gasol, it saved them alot of money, but good god that is a TERRIBLE roster. the grizz don't exactly have a strong fanbase as it is, and this trade isn't going to help that for the time being... so they better get the rebuilding moving quickly and use that extra money wisely.

Hats off to Stroshow for being a great Grizz fan. Hopefully you get to see more of Swift as he moves on to the nets.

I wonder how the actual fans in Memphis are feeling now. As betrayed as I feel for this trade, how much more for resident fans.
gasolina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:22 PM   #5
StroShow4
Certified ISHiot.

StroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasolina
Hats off to Stroshow for being a great Grizz fan. Hopefully you get to see more of Swift as he moves on to the nets.

thanks dude.. who knows, maybe i'll be back someday, swift got traded back to the grizz from houston, who knows what might happen in new jersey
StroShow4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:01 PM   #6
Moose

I really feel sorry for all the Grizzlies fans as you have to watch Chris "retard" Wallace destroy your team one move by the next. Next up is Mike Miller, most likely you'll get someone $hitty in return. The next couple of years looks to be like hell.

After all this is said and done, your team will be one of the better young teams in the league with Gay and Conley, Warrick and Lowry + more young players through the draft and free agency. Hopefully Marc Gasol turns out to be a good player as well.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:24 PM   #7
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

The Big Three has decent reputation

Well, Mike Miller could possibly be traded. I think there are a few potential suitors out there. Phoenix could always use another shooter, and wasn't Miami talked about as a possiblity at one time? Maybe they'll try and get even more expirers, possibly Jason Williams? Mike Conley, Javaris Crittenton, and Kyle Lowry are all playing the point, so one of them will likely have to go. I'm sure Lowry could fetch a draft pick. I think at least one more move will be made before the trade deadline. But man, the Grizzlies really got raped yesterday! I think they should trade Miller and Lowry, and draft either DeAndre Jordan, Darrell Arthur, Michael Beasley, or Eric Gordon, and build from there.
The Big Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:26 PM   #8
TJ4'D
I hit open 5-footers

TJ4'D has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolina
PF - Gay / Warrick
SG - Navarro
PG - Conley / Lowry

Good god, that is atrocious.

This is going to be a long period of time for Grizzlie fans. I have to say that this is the second most dissapointing situation as a Grizz fan. The first being when they moved the team from Vancouver.

That roster is brutal.

Last edited by TJ4'D : 02-03-2008 at 02:37 PM.
TJ4'D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:40 AM   #9
chipper204
Can barely lace up my sneakers

chipper204 has an OK reputation so far

By having a large amount of caps grizz will be active in the FA markets......but the great thing is .....i have a strong feeling that heisley is ready to sell the grizz..if he decides to keep the team he better be active in the free agent markets or the fans will make a "no" show in the arena .....
chipper204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:38 PM   #10
artificial
:-P

artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster

WTF? I miss the world for two days and all hell breaks loose. I'm still trying to convince myself this is some sort of a wicked joke -and the ridiculousness of the trade certainly helps my argument-.

Holly shit... That's all I can article for now. Probably I'll come back later to try to put something coherent, but that's too much for me for now. Sorry.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:29 PM   #11
berraco
Darko The Ripper

berraco has decent reputationberraco has decent reputation

After the shock, my thoughts. I was sure that a trade involving Pau was going to happen, either now or in the off season. I think it is a bad trade for Memphis, but at least their are moving in a coherent way. I can see them shopping Mike Miller in the near future too (I don't expect before the deadline, but who knows, Wallace has trade mommentum now).

The main problem now is that the Grizz don't have a legit big man, unless Marc Gasol comes next year and will be able to do what is doing now in Spain. Darko is not and neither is Warrick. Both can be good side players, but they are not real threats in the paint. So either Memphis get Beasley in the draft or they need to find one in the FA market. Both things are really difficult: Memphis is not the most lucky team in the lottery and few near-all-star calibre player will be willing to play for Memphis next year.

Money-wise the situation is perfect, though. This offseason they clear Brown's contract. At the end of next season (2008/2009) they will free up 6M$ from Collins contract, so they could make again some interesting moves in the FA market. And finally, in 2010 they clear up Miller, Darko and Cardinal contracts (if no trade happens before, which I'm sure will do with Mike at least), while all the youngs are contracted until 2011.

So next season could be very tough, that's clear. Probably the following too. Hopefully they will get something special in the draft and can use next year to make them evolve in the right direction. If things go well and if Wallace can make some smart moves in the FA markets in the next two offseasons, the Grizzlies could be a contender in a couple of years. But everything is "if". So who knows. At least I'm trying to look at it from the brighter perspective if it really exists

Last edited by berraco : 02-03-2008 at 02:33 PM.
berraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:23 AM   #12
GoldMedallist
Great young streetballer

GoldMedallist has an OK reputation so far

I really think that Memphis made a horrible move with Pau. but let's try to see the good side:

You can now try to make an all-star from Rudy Gay. He need to improve a lot, but now he is the franchise player.

You got a good player (Critterton) and you will have much cap space. You can sign a "free agent star". And you now have the rigths of Marc. He can become tougher than his brother, and despite not having his quickness and movemens (he is a true C, not a PF) he is smart and have so good shooting percentages. Take him and give a year to get him some muscle and body, he can be a great, great Center for you. But he doesn't fit with "run and gun" style, better Iavaroni give up that system, or you will loose, loose, and loose a bit more.

Memphis have so many options, and have to choose what they want for their future now. I really hope your GM to make the rigth choice.
GoldMedallist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:13 PM   #13
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by berraco
Money-wise the situation is perfect, though. This offseason they clear Brown's contract. At the end of next season (2008/2009) they will free up 6M$ from Collins contract, so they could make again some interesting moves in the FA market. And finally, in 2010 they clear up Miller, Darko and Cardinal contracts (if no trade happens before, which I'm sure will do with Mike at least), while all the youngs are contracted until 2011.
That makes me happy, shame it's 2 years away though. That's a long time.

Anyway, obviously Gay is now the franchise player, now that Pau is gone, I don't have a problem with Gay taking more shots now, because what post threat do we have? That's right none, absolutely nothing. So hopefully Gay can really smoothen his game up, neaten the edges and really show us what he is made of.

Now that Pau is gone, I think that playing a run and gun style of basketball is more adequate for the players we have. It's pointless playing half court sets because, again, look at our front court, absolute shambles. Though, that's not to say we should completely abandon the half court play.

We should try and break as much as possible, we have all the personal for it and most of our players seem quite well equiped for the run and gun style. Though, if we cannot break we cannot use are post players, due to the fact that they suck, bigtime, so if I was in Ivaroni's position I would try and focus on alot of off ball movement, getting the guards and SF open for easy looks. That seems to be the best way to operate.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:20 PM   #14
jailer
MillionDollarException

jailer has an OK reputation so far

Wow all I can add is that this sucks.
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: